PDA

View Full Version : Making your electric window circuits always powered....

adza33
26-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey guys,

I've thought about making my 1994 Civic VTi's electric windows directly connected to the battery, like the new cars however they are on a timer i think. I was going to do it with my friend at his auto electrical shop, but i found out that each window is separately fused, does this mean that they carry a big current or load?? Will my battery die after 1 hour of being directly connected to the windows rather than on "ignition"???? Has anyone done this??

Adam

BlacKEGPedroew
26-04-2006, 11:51 AM
there are some alarm systems out there that incorporate an auto window wind up mechanism, once the alarm is armed so it can be done. Good luck.

SINISTR
26-04-2006, 11:57 AM
yah - was going to ask 'why' do you want to do that? to be able to wind the windows up and down with the key out? - its a bit of a risk if you ask me. Better off hooking it to the alarm and have them automatically wind up when you arm the alarm.

Zdster
26-04-2006, 12:32 PM
yah - was going to ask 'why' do you want to do that? to be able to wind the windows up and down with the key out? - its a bit of a risk if you ask me. Better off hooking it to the alarm and have them automatically wind up when you arm the alarm.

Yep, that is the reason. The only bad thing doing it this way (as I was informed by a local auto electrician) is that if something goes wrong - ie a short somewhere - you can drain your battery and before you figure out the issue.

SINISTR
26-04-2006, 01:03 PM
yeah... plus if you want the windows to be 'down a touch' (1cm gap) when you arm the alarm (sometimes for ventilation) you can't do it - it will always wind them up.

Sir EK
26-04-2006, 01:28 PM
yeah... plus if you want the windows to be 'down a touch' (1cm gap) when you arm the alarm (sometimes for ventilation) you can't do it - it will always wind them up.

valid point, however not having a vehicle completely locked always possess the risk of the evil type deciding they want whats in your car more than what you do :(

My 2 cents

SINISTR
26-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Yeah - was refering to when the car is infront of your house, or under the carport. Somewhere where its 'secure' so to say but you wish to leave some opening for ventilation. Shops or periods where the car is left unattended is definatelly NOT a good place to leave windows open even 1cm - i never do anyway.

CRXer
26-04-2006, 01:38 PM
If it is properly fused than a short will not drain the battery,the fuse "should" take care of that.
I've got an alpine alarm that winds em up auto ATM,but find it a pain in the arse on hot days when you want to arm it up & leave the windows down a little.
If he is an auto elec,he should be able to source and rig up a cheap 12V timer mechanism(possibly from Jaycar or somethin like that) easy enough.

Upon loss of ignition a powered relay drops out to supply the timer circuit off a permanent or "hot" supply,which in turn powers up a relay inline with the motor supplies to keep them supplied for the desired time.The motor supply relay will have to be paralleled off ignition as well so they still work when your driving.Make sure relays arranged right(as above) so they are not powered when car off as this will drain battery.
You will need
12v timer 0s-how ever many secs you need
12v single pole low amp relay
12v double pole(x2 if 4 windows) 20amp relay
wiring
2 small fuses to protect control/timer circuit & parallel circuit off ignition/coil of hot supply relay off ignition
& good ol' insulation tape

Windows will not drain battery unless you keep joyriding em up/down if you hook em up permanently,how many times you seen a 1000000000MW amp left on for a while after car off,they are only draining when theyre operating
but dont recommend for security reasons

If not understood ,pass on to auto elec he should get it & he might be able to fix any details ive overlooked as i wrote this in a hurry
:honda:

iamhappy46
26-04-2006, 01:41 PM
MY GF's Holden Astra SRiT allows the windows to be wound up by locking the drivers door.

Put the key in the lock, turn it anticlockwise to lock the car(even if it is already locked) and both windows wind up but only wind up while the key is held in that position.

It could be possible to rig up a similiar system with some diodes, relays and a micro switch.

SINISTR
26-04-2006, 01:53 PM
MY GF's Holden Astra SRiT allows the windows to be wound up by locking the drivers door.

Put the key in the lock, turn it anticlockwise to lock the car(even if it is already locked) and both windows wind up but only wind up while the key is held in that position.

It could be possible to rig up a similiar system with some diodes, relays and a micro switch.

that sounds like a great Idea! :)

adza33
26-04-2006, 04:09 PM
hey every1,

thanks for every1's input....i overlooked the security issue, many good points raised.......
CRXer, thanx for your info, i understand and that is a smart way to do it, i'll look further into it as this will be a little project of mine!! Thanx for every1's idea's...
originally i just wanted this luxury because of always having to turn to ignition everytime, when i'm in the car with the mrs at the back and u need some air, i hate having to reach forward and turn the key especially when timing is of the essence.....lol if u get me.....anyway thanx again and i'll let u know how i go with it...

thanx!!! :)

Adam

SINISTR
26-04-2006, 04:52 PM
HAHAHA!

install a sunroof! :)

Sexc86
26-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey guys,

I've thought about making my 1994 Civic VTi's electric windows directly connected to the battery, like the new cars however they are on a timer i think. I was going to do it with my friend at his auto electrical shop, but i found out that each window is separately fused, does this mean that they carry a big current or load?? Will my battery die after 1 hour of being directly connected to the windows rather than on "ignition"???? Has anyone done this??

Adam

You battery will not die simply haveing them hard wired, only draws current on use so you shouldnt have any problems haveing them connected in this way

Nuttz
26-04-2006, 07:36 PM
HAHAHA!

install a sunroof! :)

Vti's have sunroofs :angel: problem solved!!!!

spanks
27-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Auto up function fitted into certain alarm systems do not always work if the window function has the anti-entrapment system fitted..eg HR-V,late model LEGENDS etc...the drivers window will go up then come down about 1-2 inches..the anti-entrapment over-rides the alarm

EuroDude
01-05-2006, 10:47 PM

You can actually, just turn on the electric window lock.