PDA

View Full Version : fan turns on after very short drive

incoming
26-04-2006, 12:16 PM
hey guys

i got a CD5 and the fan turns on after a short drive
sometimes turns on if i move the car out of the garage..
the fan sometimes stays on long or sometimes short..

what could be the problem?
coolant level seems fine and the car temp is normal

vti-2
26-04-2006, 01:07 PM
hey guys

i got a CD5 and the fan turns on after a short drive
sometimes turns on if i move the car out of the garage..
the fan sometimes stays on long or sometimes short..

what could be the problem?
coolant level seems fine and the car temp is normal

I know someone with the exact same scenario as you (different make car though). Checked all hoses, water and coolant levels etc and everything was fine. The car is still running fine, so i don't think anything is necessarily wrong. Maybe someone has a better explaination. :p

joyride
26-04-2006, 02:17 PM
FYI- this all started happening after he degreased the WHOLE engine without covering electrical bits... :slap:

FastFwd
26-04-2006, 03:42 PM
i had a problem similar, then my fan stopped working all together, i recently turbod my civic so i just connected the fan directed to the ignition wire. i thought it was a decent idea anyways because the Honda radiator is soo small.

i had this problem on my old motor aswell, i did an engine flush.

*take the top radiator hose out from the motor
*take the bottom radiator hose out from the radiator
*Get your garden hose turn the water on and put it into the top section of your motor.

this should clear out your Heat switch and also your engine. sometimes if this hasnt been done in a while you'll see alot of crap come out.

do the same for your radiator to be sure if you want - force water threw one end and out the other.

this should run your car a little cooler if you think heat is the issue

ECU-MAN
26-04-2006, 08:18 PM
you should check the Thermo switches, one on the top hose housing and another on the bottom hose thermostat housing, make sure there is not any water in the connector.

fatboyz39
26-04-2006, 09:57 PM
like what ECU-MAN said, your thermo switch is goneski. That switch cost a fair bit.

RMN15N
27-04-2006, 01:36 AM
are you sure its the thermo switch m8.. i thought that happend to me the other day .. it was just the fan spining to cool down the car. its normal

incoming
27-04-2006, 01:50 PM
i thought it might have been the thermo switch but needed advice
for some reason its stopped now...

its not normal when u reverse the car out of the garage and it turns on

fatboyz39
27-04-2006, 04:31 PM
are you sure its the thermo switch m8.. i thought that happend to me the other day .. it was just the fan spining to cool down the car. its normal

he said it turns on after a short drive or when he reversing out of his garage. Sif his car would be up to temp for the fan to turn on after turning on the engine.

You can test the switch whether its working or not.

Limbo
27-04-2006, 08:35 PM
check also in case there are any blockages in your cooling system. Could be a blockage causing the switch to malfuntion. BUt i think it is as above, the switch may be faulty

RMN15N
27-04-2006, 08:45 PM
he said it turns on after a short drive or when he reversing out of his garage. Sif his car would be up to temp for the fan to turn on after turning on the engine.

You can test the switch whether its working or not.

sorry bud didnt read it properly

ECU-MAN
27-04-2006, 08:47 PM
i thought it might have been the thermo switch but needed advice
for some reason its stopped now...

its not normal when u reverse the car out of the garage and it turns on

cool its probably just moisture or water in one of the thermoswitch connectors

dsp26
02-05-2006, 09:54 AM
i was actually thinking it was a cooling system prob like a thermostat.

however it could be your CD5 ignition is shorting the temp sensors... i know of someone that had a "jumping spark"