PDA

View Full Version : MOTEC tuning on B18C ?

VTEChnique
27-04-2004, 03:55 PM
OK a good friend of mine is running his B18C off a P28 (SOHC VTEC) ECU and is upgrading to MOTEC next week.

his 'tuner' told him it's $400 to 'unlock' the launch controll functions etc..

has anyone run thrie B18c from MOTEC ?

Does anyone know if you can get the unlock codes on the net ?

how do you make the MOTEC ECU operate the dual-tract intake manifold butterfly valve ?

any other MOTEC / B18C info much appreciated !!

Weq
27-04-2004, 05:11 PM
with hondata around these days, i wouldnt waste the cash on a motec. Plus its illegal to run a full custom EMS on the street, so goodbye any chance of an engineer cert.

pgclee
27-04-2004, 11:08 PM
dude...where you got the MOTEC from..what model?...
M4 or M4 Pro or M4 clubMan...?

If you bouoght it over at Motec, i think they can assist you FREE...didn't you read the instruction?

pgclee
27-04-2004, 11:09 PM
one more thing...

Why do you need to unlock the Launch CTRL for?...

hey dude...it only works on RWD or 4WD....read dude..read...

ginganggooly
28-04-2004, 01:10 AM
motec systems can be legal... apparently you need to get it tuned, then taken to get emissions tested, then sealed.

mooshie
28-04-2004, 07:52 PM
that is true ginggangooly but where are you going to get it emissions tested? supposedly here in SA the only place that can do it is a part of the Mitsubishi factory and you can hire it for as little as $4000 for half a day.....

ginganggooly
28-04-2004, 10:04 PM
epa?
i don't know... i'll stick to my hondata ;)

i don't even know if that is legal... oh well.

mo
28-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Hondata is legal.

Fully Tuneable Australia Wide ADR 37 Approved

Weq
29-04-2004, 12:36 AM
I had an EPA test done on my car, was free and i got a cert and printout of test results. U just need to book in (well in NSW anyways)

And the reason i say that full aftermarket ECU's are illegal is not because of this, its because EVERY, and i mean EVERY RTA certifitied enegineer asked me what i was running, it was the first question, and all of them said its illegal to run a FULL EMS. I have spoken to about 5 of them..
im sure there are ways around it, but thats the info ive been given.

poid
29-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Hondata is approved, but as far as i know you would still have to go and have the EPA tests done to ensure that your car complies with pollution laws

VTEChnique
29-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Jeebus !! calm down you guys !!

in WA Motec is NOT illegal.. no need for engineer's certificate or none of that crap..

if you had bothered to READ my post you'd have noticed it's a FRIEND of mine that has this unit.. ie. ALREADY PAID FOR IT (so no "buy hondata" crap).

Not sure where he bought it, but the shop tuning it says these functions need to be 'unlocked' at extra cost.. this sounds like BS to me when you are paying that much for the actual unit.

FYI, LAUNCH controll IS available for FWD, TRACTION Control is also available for FWD but you need to fit additional sensors for each wheel.

Was looking for someone who has MOTEC controlled Honda.. ??

z10
29-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Jeebus !! calm down you guys !!

in WA Motec is NOT illegal.. no need for engineer's certificate or none of that crap..

if you had bothered to READ my post you'd have noticed it's a FRIEND of mine that has this unit.. ie. ALREADY PAID FOR IT (so no "buy hondata" crap).

Not sure where he bought it, but the shop tuning it says these functions need to be 'unlocked' at extra cost.. this sounds like BS to me when you are paying that much for the actual unit.

FYI, LAUNCH controll IS available for FWD, TRACTION Control is also available for FWD but you need to fit additional sensors for each wheel.

Was looking for someone who has MOTEC controlled Honda.. ??

pm dynodave or me :P

tanghy
30-04-2004, 02:46 PM
bede call stve and ask him

VTEChnique
30-04-2004, 04:19 PM
thanks tanghy - i dont know why i didnt think of that..

TODA AU
30-04-2004, 06:26 PM
LOL...
Hey VTEChnique,
When all the other wanna be guru's & tuners in this country turn your car into a piece of crap & nothing works as it should...
Give me a buzz...
Been there don't that on everthing you're talking about...
It's really easy, but no one know how... LOL

Word of advice...
Do not under any circumstances let some wee wee playing homo, who thinks they know what they're on about, wire your car with anything other than the factory loom...
If they can't do that...
Find someone who can... Trust me... ;)

VTEChnique
03-05-2004, 11:17 AM
whoa !! calm down bro, is not my civic.. is a friend's who already bought the MOTEC unit. He is getting it tuned at Speedworks on wednesday.. am just wanting to get some more info and tips before the car goes in.

Speedworks have the JUN DC2 and another EG5 with JDM B18C-R which WAS running on MOTEC and then switched to AEM.. so I am hoping Speedworks can do a competent job.. but the dual-stage intake manifold is worrying me a little.

as far as I know the M4 unit will retain the OEM wiring harness, you'd be mad to spend another $1k+ to get a custom harness !!

pgclee
03-05-2004, 08:57 PM
i though you need a new set of wiring on motec??....

hmm...
i think if you really wanna get it done...better go to the best and tune it ones....eg. Toda Australia....i don't think they wanna spoil their reputation just by wanting to earn you money...

just think....you wanna throw in the money where a shop is really well known or you wanna take a wild guess and try other?..

though you need to pay abit more, but that abit more will help you to save hell lot in the end of the day...trust me on that dude...i've tried it...

TODA AU
03-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Ok... Fair enough... (I honestly hope it works out for you guys...)

Regarding your initial question…

The codes you are talking about are unique to each MOTEC unit...
They are applicable to only the serial number of the ECU & as such, each ECU needs different codes to unlock various functions...
EG: Advanced tuning options, wide-band lambda, pro logging etc etc...

Regarding getting the MOTEC operate the dual-tract intake manifold.
Your basic configuration aught to be something like this…
4 injector drivers are used for sequential injection
1 output is used for ignition
4 auxiliary outputs are configured as follows:
1 - A/C clutch / or Dual tract intake manifold
2 - Idle speed control
3 - Vtec (NB: Need 12V relay)
4 - Fuel Pump
NB: Aux outputs are actually earth switches.

The OEM igniter or aftermarket CDI unit drives the tacho.
Thermo fans are controlled by OEM or aftermarket switch.
Don’t waste an output on either of these…

A vacuum-switching valve controls the dual tract intake manifold.
It needs to be triggered to open at the appropriate rpm.
Set ideal switch point on dyno.
Btw: Hysteresis is the word of the day... LOL ;)
Cheers

Adrian