PDA

View Full Version : help with intake pipe

geo41e
27-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Plz help guyz,

if i increase the diameter of my air intake pipe, will i loose low end and achieve top end?

i heard that bigger diameter = better response...is this true?
l'm thinking of jus getting a 3" stainless steel pipe.
car is a civic EG5 SI hatch.

Kit
27-04-2004, 05:33 PM
not neccasarily; intake tuning is a fine art in NA cars.

response is all about the plenum volume (that is the volume of air inside your intake pipe and air filter). generally the more you have the better.
but an intake arm too long usually means the ultimate top end is not as strong.

theres all sorts of arguments for and against. If you have an EG hatch, i would recommend you replace the standard panel filter with a freer flowing one, ditch the standard intake resonator, and then put a cold air feed into the standard air box.

that way you dont mess around with the factory tuned airbox, but still get better flow of cool air, and it will sound a bit better than stock too cos the resonator has been removed.

otherwise, buy an ARC cold air box hehehe., very expensive though.

Weq
27-04-2004, 05:39 PM
U can put a fully sick 3" stainless steal intake pipe on, but u will need an adapter to bring it down to 2.5", because thats the size of the intake manifold's entry.

Kit
27-04-2004, 05:44 PM
I think there is a part called the ARC intake chamber (or something like that) that does exactly that, it expands out, and then necks back down to the intake diameter, apparently it speeds up the intake air velocity.
I've got no idea how effective it is tho

geo41e
27-04-2004, 05:45 PM
where is that resonator located on the pipe?

the way i got the car already has an open airfilter...the box and resonator..as in..the one where it sucks form ...is gone..l'm left with the stock pipe..and a small adaptor for the airfilter...is the resonator the one on the stock pipe that loops up abit?

Weq...if i get that 3" pipe..will i loose anything?

Mitch M
27-04-2004, 06:29 PM
where is that resonator located on the pipe?

the way i got the car already has an open airfilter...the box and resonator..as in..the one where it sucks form ...is gone..l'm left with the stock pipe..and a small adaptor for the airfilter...is the resonator the one on the stock pipe that loops up abit?

Weq...if i get that 3" pipe..will i loose anything?

resonator is beneath the box ...

i ripped mine out ... sounds good

i have an Si sedan noticed a bit of gain out of it also

geo41e
27-04-2004, 10:17 PM
oh ok..yeah thats gone coz i have a hold in my bumper which leads to the other hold underneath the oem box

anyways..wah u rekon of a 3" intake pipe? too big?

Kit
27-04-2004, 10:29 PM
i think it doesnt make much difference if its 3inch because it will close back down to 2.5inch when it connects back to the stock intake hose.

some people like sticking with 2.5inch pipe cos the air will flow through it faster, hence less time for the air to heat up. but I would reckon that heatup is negligable even with 3inch pipe

geo41e
27-04-2004, 10:36 PM
so u rejon go 2.5" all the way ?
umm.kewl kewl
also, does a heat shield help ?

geo41e
30-04-2004, 07:51 PM
bump

SIKCVC
01-05-2004, 01:24 AM
just do what i said in PM make a full enclosure for the pod whether it be a cylindrical one like mine or one that blocks off the corner of the engine bay where the origonal box used to sit it will work the same... in fact the blocking off of the corner of the engine bay would probably work MUUCH better as theres less area of hot air surounding it and it will still get that pooling effect reducing lag... if any... it will also iliminate the need for getting a rubber pipe to run down behind the front bar and also reducing the piping length.... once again ruding any lag.

hhhmmmm think i might try that myself.