PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying VTIR

skitz000
26-04-2006, 10:20 PM
hey i was looking at getting an vtir integra but i dont really know much about them so i wasnt too sure what to look for as in are all the integras (93+) out there different? going to be first vtec car so not really sure what to expect and about what price range am i looking at?

CIV97
02-05-2006, 04:09 PM
the only real problem i would think is the themostat, easy fix though. u would be looking at around 13k give or take depending on kms.

incoming
02-05-2006, 04:27 PM
make sure the flux capacitor is working.... hehe

Mattski_VTIR
02-05-2006, 04:29 PM
They often need the top take replaced on the radiator, and the thermostat.
Do your homework before buying, look for traces of coolant and fluids under the engine bay. Servicing these cars can make or break them, so service history is a must. Don't jump straight in because there are many good examples about.

notorious_ahmie
02-05-2006, 04:36 PM
make sure the flux capacitor is working.... hehe
*nods*nods*

rikstar
03-05-2006, 04:33 PM
They often need the top take replaced on the radiator, and the thermostat.
Do your homework before buying, look for traces of coolant and fluids under the engine bay. Servicing these cars can make or break them, so service history is a must. Don't jump straight in because there are many good examples about.

Can’t agree more! Make sure it’s got a service history.

Honda engines are damn fine, but like any car engine it needs to be serviced regularly to ensure its longevity! I picked up my 98’ VTi-R for about $19K a few years ago, black and in immaculate condition. But once you get a taste of VTEC on a VTi-R you’ll want a Type-R... that’s what happened to me. Hehe

kongfu
03-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Service history, engine compression, gear box.

skitz000
03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
but i heard that eventually there comes a time when the vtec stops working or doesnt kick in, i know it sounds stupid but is that true? it doesnt waste or anything does it hahaha

Nuttz
03-05-2006, 08:06 PM
hahah yeah i hear it can fall off too :)

nah you cant "waste" your vtec. So vtec all you want

rikstar
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
hahah yeah i hear it can fall off too :)

nah you cant "waste" your vtec. So vtec all you want

You might want to go easy on the VTEC for the moment petrol aint cheap! Muhaha!

quangsta
13-05-2006, 12:12 AM
input shaft and bearing in the gearbox...usually goes after awhile....a few including my self have had this problem.....what u do is turn the engine on and listen to the engine, clutch in listen for the difference in sound, clutch out and repeat a few times....sometimes i wont be definate buh it could be there...if it is...cost about 1k+ to fix or there abouts....liek others have said thermostat usually goes....get racv check they're actually pretty good....also the condition of the oil if theres like none left and its black obviously doesnt look after the car....

what else.....

rims....if u see a major kerb scratch or something simliar rims could be 'warpped'....just cosmetics can tell u about the history of the car....look closely at the difference between panels especially the doors and the front fenders cause if theres been damage to the bonnet they usually colour match the whole front end....

cant think of anymore...

GL

oh yerr i agree with rikstar....once u got a vtir u want a type r....

euro1978
13-05-2006, 02:35 PM
but i heard that eventually there comes a time when the vtec stops working or doesnt kick in, i know it sounds stupid but is that true? it doesnt waste or anything does it hahaha

Yeh you basically get to use VTEC 100 times before it runs out so make sure to ask the current owner of any prospective cars how many times he has taken his car into VTEC

V8_Hero
13-05-2006, 06:34 PM
yeap check for radiator leaks
very common with those cars
as well as oil. also check for chassis rattles.
to tell if there is an accident, check the front bar as gaps show easily when they arent fitted on properly
also check tail lights as i see alot of tegras with a darker tail light compared to the other
if its lowered, look for scrape marks underneath the car.

spardikis
14-05-2006, 03:55 PM
yeah well i have just done a vtec rebuild project and mine has about 56 - 59 vtec's left i think........gotta take it easy ;)

T-onedc2
14-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Hehe mine came with unlimited vtec shots, lol. Seriously though the clutch master cylinder generally lasts 80-100,000km. Two '97 DC2's I know of needed the factory clutch replaced around 110,000 or soon after, but will depend on the driver.

spardikis
14-05-2006, 04:04 PM
how do you refill vtec tho?

T-onedc2
14-05-2006, 04:06 PM
how do you refill vtec tho?
It's like a phone recharge card available at servos, lol

skinnyboy
14-05-2006, 04:28 PM
It's like a phone recharge card available at servos, lol

hahaha, i heard you can top it with a VTECH controller like this one

http://www.ejaja.cn/uploadpic/714-vtech-dwsy2.jpg

locote
14-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Ive been goin with out vtec since i baught my so i dont see what all the fuss is about!!!

soul4real
14-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Ive got a 94 integra that i bought at 80,000kms
I've had new clutch put in, top radiator block, clutch master/slave cylinder, all around 100-110,000kms.
Chassis rattling is pretty common, antenna usually will have problems.

chunky
14-05-2006, 09:54 PM
make sure theres an enigine

crx_boy7
14-05-2006, 10:08 PM
before u buy the car count the wheels, if u see anything less than 4 wheels i wouldnt touch it!!!! :)

spardikis
14-05-2006, 11:15 PM
and make sure they sell u the keys with it as well, the last integra i bought didnt come with keys. had to hot wire her

Fli Performance
18-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Depending on the year model u want but the price range would be 13k to 18k....
But i strongly recommend you get a DC2 VTI-R as they put out a good 125 kw not as fast as compared to the dc2r but it will do, you'll get that beautiful Vtec sound and it is a fun car to drive especially when u pass that 5k mark and it is also very economical on fuel with all these f@#!kn increasing fuel prices....insurance for the VTI-R's are much cheaper than the type-R's the car itself is much cheaper than the type-r's aswell. So i highly recommend it. Go for the 98+ models as that is when they had the facelift for the tegs, so it looks much better than the lower models but thats my opinion.
If u have 18k to spend then get the 98+ VTir's, but if u look hard enough then u'll can even find it cheaper depending on when u want ur car if not urgent then look around.
Remember to do a revs check on the car and also bring a fren thats a mechanic or knows somfin about cars,to check if its been in a serious accident and if the engine is still in good condition with no oil leakes, low k’s, radiator leaks etc etc....Hope this helps you!

steebs
18-05-2006, 03:04 PM
log books !!!
make sure there is no accident history, i learnt this the hard way ><"

Spunkymonkey
18-05-2006, 09:50 PM
its hard for a car over 10 years old not to have some accident history lol

I agree with the others top tank, also water pump is another thing to check if its been changed. Atenna problems are common, and rattling windows as well.

bored
18-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Yeh you basically get to use VTEC 100 times before it runs out so make sure to ask the current owner of any prospective cars how many times he has taken his car into VTEC

lol good one

Fli Performance
19-05-2006, 11:35 AM
its hard for a car over 10 years old not to have some accident history lol

I agree with the others top tank, also water pump is another thing to check if its been changed. Atenna problems are common, and rattling windows as well.

tru most cars are likely to have been in an accident.......but u still gotta chek if it was in a major one.....minor accidents are ok......cos if there was a major one...u tend to have lots of problems...especially if the person who fix the car done a boggy job....cos wen ppl put things bak together they tend to miss alot of things or do a boggy job....if u noe wat i mean.....problems like water leakage into the car....steering wheel shaky while driving etc etc... this is from seeing boggy mechanics fixing up cars in the past

steebs
19-05-2006, 11:44 AM
yeh, i had major one form previous owner...
i think he hit something in fornt, fenders starting to show signs of paint cracking, same as LHS 1/4 panel -.-" crack appears, its like almost 30cm long ... =[[[

i was too keen on gettin a car, never looked over it propely ...

dont make the same mistake !!

tru most cars are likely to have been in an accident.......but u still gotta chek if it was in a major one.....minor accidents are ok......cos if there was a major one...u tend to have lots of problems...especially if the person who fix the car done a boggy job....cos wen ppl put things bak together they tend to miss alot of things or do a boggy job....if u noe wat i mean.....problems like water leakage into the car....steering wheel shaky while driving etc etc... this is from seeing boggy mechanics fixing up cars in the past

Spunkymonkey
19-05-2006, 09:41 PM
yeah minor accidents ok, not major.

yourfather
20-05-2006, 12:02 AM
dont worry if its the panels that are stuffed. you can always paint them. i'd rather have f*cked panels and a straight chassis than neat panels and a f*cked chassis. Panels are just like clothes that a car wears.

My DC2 has done 177,000km I vtec it often.
I'm sure that I'll blow an engine one day, but when it does, I'll just strip it down to bare shell, rebuild it the barefoot bonzai way.

Can't go wrong dude, it's a nice handling car. I havent had any problems with my car so far. Nothing really wrong with it. Just treat it like a baby and you'll be fine.

its.not.ali
17-08-2006, 11:36 PM
this is a great thread... bumping it up for some more info :)

vtec_jet
17-08-2006, 11:48 PM
FreeGn spammerz . . lol