PDA

View Full Version : B16A noob

wkdteg
26-04-2006, 11:18 PM
hey guys
couple weeks ago i picked up a DA9 with b16a fitted, so im a bit of a noob when it comes 2 that engine. the car came with wat im assuming to b a 2.25 or 2.5 inch exhaust from the cat back, as well as a pod intake.
so i just wanted 2 know:
1. at wat engine speed (rpm) does the vtec engage?
2. from wat ive read, the engines r renowned for having little lower end grunt, so wat mods would help improve lower end torque, without compramising top end? im thinking in terms of headers (4-2-1 as apposed to 4-1) and other "bank for ur buck" mods. keep in mind that the car is a daily driver, (hence the need for lower end) but its driven hard every now n then.

i realise there is a similar thread concerning a 95vti, so no1 gimmi this vtec fell off psi bs!!!

thanx in advance
cheers

integral90
26-04-2006, 11:26 PM
1. i think somewhere around 3-4k for the vtec.

2. maybe a bigger bore SRI for that, maybe new cams that are designed for low end grunt aswell as top end power...

tRipitaka
26-04-2006, 11:29 PM
if u want lower end torque.. buy urself 4-2-1 rather than 4-1..

b16a.. vtec engages at around 5500

edit: make sure you have a 2.25inch exhaust rather than a 2.5..

j3z3z
27-04-2006, 12:15 AM
vtec engages 5200rpm. when driving put in 2nd and use 3/4 aceleration at around 5200 you will hear the engine/exhaust note become much louder. thats the vtec crossover

wkdteg
27-04-2006, 12:19 AM
awesome
also... anothe question i forgot 2 ask... wats the redline on the engine?

j3z3z
27-04-2006, 12:41 AM
8200 is the rev limiter

wkdteg
27-04-2006, 12:44 AM
hmm
so would any1 know y it cuts off at about 6.5 (standard b18a redline)?
i have a feelin it has sumthin 2 do with the ecu?

j3z3z
27-04-2006, 12:46 AM
it could be the ecu. but is the vtec engaging? if the vtec is not engaging that is pretty much the limit of the 1st cam.

j3z3z
27-04-2006, 12:47 AM
and are you doing this stationary or whilst moving and is the engine warmed up?

[[d a n n y]]
1. i think somewhere around 3-4k for the vtec.

plz dont give him misleading information..

VTEC engages @ 5500RPM (stock ) but this may all depend on your air/fuel ratio that your ECU is reading at the time. ie 5200~~6000RPM is where they usually cut in..
Redline on the B16a is set at 8200 RPM

for your lower end improvement.
IMO i wouldnt touch it. buying cheap 4-2-1 headers ie x force hurricane etc wont give u much gain.
you'll find once your driving it around it's got enuff bottom end to get it self going.
then again your driving a 1.6L there is so much u can ask from a 1.6L

tRipitaka
have u been warming the car up too ?

wkdteg
27-04-2006, 12:58 AM
thanx danny... so i guess i can only go for to end improvement ey? LoL
j3z3z n tripitaka... yeah ive only taken the car to redline once since buying it, and it was warmed up when i done it, had been drivin for 30mins before hand. i wasnt stationary, i had just realised that the redline would b higher than the b18a and hence y the previous owner had installed an aftermarket tacho. so i took off in 1st, thinkin it would go to at least 8, but it cut off at 6.5 :( pretty disspointing
not sure if vtec engaged or not (dunno how to really tell)

Slow96GSR
27-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Check timing. If it's off just a little the engine, ECU, A/f won't be right and it will not go up to the redline. Timing is set about 16 degrees (I think, no book infront of me!) and the ECU will comp for up to 24 degrees, so about 8 degrees off. Might be more in your care but that seems to be what most Hondas I've done turn out to work at.

j3z3z
27-04-2006, 07:35 PM
you can hear when it engages. listen to the sound at 5200rpm if the sound instantly gets louder vtec is working

tinkerbell
28-04-2006, 09:29 PM
]']plz dont give him misleading information..

VTEC engages @ 5500RPM (stock ) but this may all depend on your air/fuel ratio that your ECU is reading at the time. ie 5200~~6000RPM is where they usually cut in..
Redline on the B16a is set at 8200 RPM

huh? misleading info? like you just did!?!?!

read he has a DA9 - VTEC engages in an OBD0 B16A at 4800rpm...

OBD1 it was raised to over 5000rpm...

wkdteg - any check engine light?

sounds like you have a serious problem with the engine if it cuts off at 6500?

might still be using the non-VTEC B18A ecu????

wkdteg
28-04-2006, 09:33 PM
yeah i think its the ecu
but i didnt think the engine would still run with that ecu??
i thought there was only OBD1 and OBD2? never heard of OBD0?
im assuming its still got the b18a ecu... wats my next step?

tRipitaka
28-04-2006, 09:35 PM
get an obd0 b16a ecu.

tinkerbell
28-04-2006, 09:53 PM
yeah i think its the ecu
but i didnt think the engine would still run with that ecu??

yes, it would, just poorly, without VTEC and with a low cut-off...

i thought there was only OBD1 and OBD2? never heard of OBD0?

OBD0 is also called non-OBD, but OBD is acronym for "On Board Diagnostics" which all OBD0 PGM-FI honda's have... so i guess OBD0 has been adopted to reflect this...

im assuming its still got the b18a ecu... wats my next step?

borrow a B16A ecu off a sydney someone on here... FR33K has one, so does ONV73C...

can you goto the area under the glove box, pull back the carpet, remove the metal plate and see the ECU?

it should have a part number on it, and a bar code,

can you tell us wha the part number is?

wkdteg
28-04-2006, 10:35 PM
its absolutly pelting outside.
i managed to get in the car and remove the plate
this is wat it looks like

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rami_guirguis/detail?.dir=4008&.dnm=f585scd.jpg&.src=ph

theres no bar code, no number, nothin on the sides. i couldnt manage to undo the ecu to c under as i would need to get out of the car to do this... its too wet atm. :confused:

tinkerbell
28-04-2006, 11:15 PM
LOL!

yeah, that is it, but dont mess around with the ECU in the rain...

you will find the part number on the side, if it is not there (it is usually a sticker) i reckon you have been dodgy'd on the VTEC conversion :(

wkdteg
28-04-2006, 11:26 PM
LOL!

yeah, that is it, but dont mess around with the ECU in the rain...

you will find the part number on the side, if it is not there (it is usually a sticker) i reckon you have been dodgy'd on the VTEC conversion :(

man its startin 2 feel that way :(
so i guess i gotta get my hands on an ecu? im not in syd, so fr33k and onvtec r outta the question.
wat r my options when it comes to ecus?
obd0? obd1? obd2?
where do i get my hands on 1 from? wreckers?
do they need 2 b tuned?
do i need 2 change the sensors etc...?
aftermarket ecu? piggyback?
vafc?
grrrr how much am i lookin at forkin out?

tinkerbell
29-04-2006, 03:26 PM
there is another guy with a red B16A DA9 down there i think!

but the answer is that you need a "PR3" or a "PW0" OBD0 ecu to control the VTEC... it is "plug and play" with your current one, nothing more to do...

call a wrecker , but expect $200+ prices as it is a JDM only ecu... i dont know if a VAFC could do it, but it might?

first thing is to work out IF you have a VTEC ecu or a non-VTEC ecu...

wkdteg
29-04-2006, 08:25 PM
there is another guy with a red B16A DA9 down there i think!

but the answer is that you need a "PR3" or a "PW0" OBD0 ecu to control the VTEC... it is "plug and play" with your current one, nothing more to do...

call a wrecker , but expect $200+ prices as it is a JDM only ecu... i dont know if a VAFC could do it, but it might?

first thing is to work out IF you have a VTEC ecu or a non-VTEC ecu...

ill ask around at our cruise next week.
wats the difference between PR3 and PW0 OBD0 ecus?
so i guess by switchin ecus i should b able 2 find out which ecu i have? if i dont have the right 1, and i cant get my hand on a stock PR3 and PW0, can i get an aftermarket 1?
cheers

[[d a n n y]]
30-04-2006, 04:38 AM
huh? misleading info? like you just did!?!?!

read he has a DA9 - VTEC engages in an OBD0 B16A at 4800rpm...

OBD1 it was raised to over 5000rpm...

wkdteg - any check engine light?

sounds like you have a serious problem with the engine if it cuts off at 6500?

might still be using the non-VTEC B18A ecu????

hm..really intresting
thought the DA's will be the same.
cuz i've been in one and it kicked just above 5K rpm

vinnY
01-05-2006, 02:43 AM
friend of mine had the same problem of no vtec and cutoff would be around 6500-6700rpm on his b16a on a 98 ek4 though.
turns out to be dodgey wiring form the previous owner with the crappy vtec controller.

check your cables and make sure they're all actually connected. believe it or not a few cables weren't even connected to the ecu for about a year before i patched things up :confused: all good now though, besides the fact that theres chunky cables everywhere near the ecu and some bloke decided to rear end it..

wkdteg
01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
hmm i need 2 find time to pull out my ecu, and figure this shit out
i also need 2 find sum1 in melb who kows wat there talkin bout when it comes to hondas and ecus, as every tom dick n harry around here does commos, but not hondas :(
having looked at the ecu, it did look as though everything was connected, so i dont think thered b any loose wiring
does any1 know any1 in melb who does regular engine swaps?

krovikan
01-05-2006, 01:21 PM
I have an integra XSI (with pretty stock b16a) and im sure that the VTEC kicks in at 5200... maybe there is a difference between jap spec engines... i had always herd that jap spec vtec kicks in a little sooner

wkdteg
01-05-2006, 01:48 PM
thats the thing... im not sure if its a jap spec engine or an audm engine. the integra isnt an XSi, its just a 93 with a conversion. im assuming the engine would b a post 93 as i remember the rules state that the engine cannot b older than the chasi. its just a matter of which engine, and which ecu

cdpfxz
01-05-2006, 02:44 PM
im not sure of engine numbers on them, but post up ur engine number and ppl on here should be able to tell u whether u got the jap or audm engine. u really need to pull ur ecu out and find wat ur running, just swapping it might fix it, but u should find out first wat its running cos u dont wana waste $200 or more to buy an ecu u already have. u can have problems wit ur ecu even if its the right one but best to find out first if it is b4 u do anything.. and yeh u can get an aftermarket ecu if u want to. will cost u a bit more but done at the right place, in comparison wit a standard ecu u will gain more power and the car will run better. Im not 100% sure bout ur model either but it is possible on other b16a ecu's that wen a problem is detected it will run in limp mode, and cut out earlier. This is also another option which would mean that there might not be a problem wit the ecu, it could be doing its job! if ur not completely sure i would take the car to a mechanic that knows hondas, hand over the keys and let them determine ur problem! hope some of that helps

nic :thumbsup:

wkdteg
01-05-2006, 02:53 PM
cheers
thanx for the idea dude
the engine number is B16A1401071
so if any1 knows anythin bout this, ie coding for jdm or audm engine, etc... please let me know.

as for takin it 2 a mechanic... well if any1 knows sum1 whos trust worthy, and has a good rep with hondas, please pm me.
cheers