PDA

View Full Version : FAQ- Cold air/short ram intakes

CUL8R
27-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Ok so i dunno if this has been kinda written up here (havent been on OH too long) but i think its time i made a contribution here about a post that we all know can come up too often. What is a cold air intake and what are the advantages to short ram intakes. Ill start the initial post and if anyone thinks i have missed out something or am wrong please add it and i shall update my initial post. hope u like:

i have an aem v2 intake, but for the preludes case it turns out its a short ram kind of intake. the v2 is designed for the greatest gains and in the preludes case its short ram, even if it says its a cold air intake. This will be different for other cars, I believe the V2 is is CAI for the integra?

WHAT IS A SHORT RAM INTAKE?
a short ram intake sits in the engine bay, the pipe runs to a position behind the battery. heres a pic of my aem v2
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a309/CUL8R/Glass%20factory%20pics/P1010001.jpg(note the position of the pod)
ADVANTAGES:
*Top end gains due to the free flowing setup
*Responce is greater than the cold air intake setups, due to the shorter flow for air to get into engine.
DISADVANTAGES:
On hot days "heat soak" becomes a factor, hot air is less dense than cold air and on a hot day there is alot of hot air in the engine bay. This can be overcome by building a heat shield kind of box around the pod but probly wont be as free flowing nemore.
* This set up is illegal if using an oil based pod, In Victoria(dunno bout other states) it is illegal to have an exposed pod in the engine bay. If you use a dry paper type pod like racinghonda uses it will be fully street legal.
SHORT RAM INTAKE BRANDS
*Aem V2
*Weapon R

WHAT IS A COLD AIR INTAKE?
a cold air intake runs the pipe through the engine bay and sits the pod in the wheel well, heres a pic of richards(racinghonda) setup, i believe its simota pipe with the Apexi Power Intake pod(shmicko!!!)
http://www.racinghonda.com/pictures/4thgen/CAI/DSCF7062.jpg
http://www.racinghonda.com/pictures/4thgen/CAI/DSCF7059.jpg
(note how the pod sits outside the engine bay)
ADVANTAGES:
*Its cold air diet means for a constant supply for cold air, no heat soak!!!better for power on hot days
*looks blingin!
DISADVANTAGES:
*long pipe is bad for responce
*in really wet countries hydrolock is a risk, this requires the full pod to be submerged (knee high puddle) with atleast partial throttle applied (over 50% id guess). It doesnt take einstein to guess that water in the engine=VERY BAD=VERY EXPENSIVE, hydro lock can be avoided by purchasing an AEM bypass valve.see pic below
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a309/CUL8R/AEMBYPASSVALVE.jpg
ive heard its useless as it totally disrupts the airflow so u may aswell stay stock intake. It sits inbetween the two pipes, in richards pic notice the join above the battery, the bypass valve would be located there.

COLD AIR INTAKE BRANDS FOR PRELUDE
*Iceman
*Simota
*AEM cold air intake (not v2)

macoman69
27-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Another really good cold air intake is the MUGEN Cold air intake.

A significant reduction in pressure loss has been achieved with the Mugen Airbox and filter in comparison with that of the factory AUDM airbox/filter.

A pressure loss reduction of more than 30% has been achieved. The Mugen airbox will reduce pressure loss by an impressive 3 psi while lowering the intake air temperature by 50 degrees.

Stellar mid-range gains combined with excellent high rpm horsepower without all the intake noise associated with conventional cold air systems. Impressive in every way with all the usual Mugen quality and performance touches.

In Conclusion a very good INTAKE SYSTEM (CANT GO PAST IT) :honda: ;)

SiReal
27-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Great write up. Kudos from me to you. Culr8: Maybe you can PM Zdster and have this put int he noob section. This would fit perfectly IMO.

marcus
27-04-2006, 06:54 PM
where can i get a cold air intake in nsw???hw much does it cost???

CUL8R
27-04-2006, 07:25 PM
SiReal: Thanx man! u just succeeded in my transition from a newbie to a member! hoorah for respect!lol ive pmd about the whole possible moving of the thread.

marcus: try many of our traders, depending on what u want someone will find if for u for sure, have a browse over all the threads in there, u can then find which trader can find what for u, they can then supply it for u.

Simota type pipes end up on ebay all the time, so keep ur eyes peeled for a bargain there

egSi
27-04-2006, 10:42 PM
cool. but stock intakes are also very good :)

marcus
28-04-2006, 03:32 AM
there are many on the ebays but i duno if its a fakie!!! u can $10 bidding for a aem pipe and etc....is simota gd????

Rico
28-04-2006, 12:28 PM
So...there are disadvantages and advantages of both, I hear the Weapon R 'secret' CAI has the advantages of a standard CAI but works just as good as a short ram, any opinions on this?

I'm stuck right now whether to purchase a CAI or short ram...unsure which would be best for my engine

Limbo
28-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Heat is the secret, keeping the heat out of a short one is hard to do, whilst the longer ones give you the ability to seal up the unit and keep heat away.

If you have a CAI what's the use when you only breathe in hot air?

Btw.... you can get these from the traders EGSI sells most of the different types. Or you can make your own.

SiReal
28-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Make your own! I have a KN Panel in my stock air box with a DIY CAI. Works a treat. I swapped the Panel for a pod and it sounds loud as well.

Rained heavily recently,got a bit worried, so when i got home, popped open the bonnet and the piping at the top of the CAI was dry, and so was the area immediate to the opening of the CAI.

The area immediate was also very cool to touch, unlike previsouly very warm.

shinji112
28-04-2006, 07:22 PM
i got a stock airbox and intake pipe on my EJ8.. can i just get rid of the airbox and fit a K&N pod with an adapter?

CUL8R
28-04-2006, 09:12 PM
itll work, itll look a lil ugly but hey get a good pod and do that for now, then just go to a elcheapo place to get a CAI pipe in the meantime and ur set

spardikis
28-04-2006, 09:41 PM
i will have to post up some pics of my diy 304 stainless cold ari box with mandrel bent alloy piping onto a k'n pod...looks bling azz and has much better response.

CUL8R
02-05-2006, 11:53 PM
bumpage so Zdstar can do his stuff

EuroAccord13
03-05-2006, 12:18 AM
+1 to you :)..

Good Work

dsp26
03-05-2006, 08:33 AM
if your not overly fussed with looks, use a WAI (Short ram) setup.

-with the custom intake pipe, use fibreglass wrap like you do with headers and wrap it.
-also get intake/TB heat nulling spacers.
-either keep the stock airbox or get a shielded pod.
- get a CAI tube with a bigger funnel pointing at a spare air dam if you have a kit and have the end of it pointing at your pod

Trini
24-09-2006, 09:02 PM
what's the power gain difference between CAI and short ram intakes, or are they the same?

aaronng
24-09-2006, 09:07 PM
what's the power gain difference between CAI and short ram intakes, or are they the same?
CAI should give better high rpm gains. SRI has better response at low rpm.

Dray_Templar
26-09-2006, 05:07 PM
nice work mate +1 from me

czy_sol87
26-09-2006, 06:48 PM
good work mate
someone sticky this

Dray_Templar
08-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Make your own! I have a KN Panel in my stock air box with a DIY CAI. Works a treat. I swapped the Panel for a pod and it sounds loud as well.

Rained heavily recently,got a bit worried, so when i got home, popped open the bonnet and the piping at the top of the CAI was dry, and so was the area immediate to the opening of the CAI.

The area immediate was also very cool to touch, unlike previsouly very warm.

Made up my own CAI the other day with abit of help from a mate that works at an exhaust joint, got a DRIFT pod had a great write up in a recent Zoom magazine. anyway the sounds... god damn the sound is so loud but i love it.. :)

going to make up an alloy box for it next weeek end will post some pics soon.
but loving it :)

IZY-10
08-10-2006, 10:35 PM
^^I've done the same thing but mad the box out of stanless steel. i will post up pics once i've completed it

jdmlvn
10-10-2006, 09:09 AM
CAI should give better high rpm gains. SRI has better response at low rpm.

it depends wat engine it is. for B, F, D they all have the same intake layout.

but for K, its completly different, the CAI > SRI in all rpm's

technify
14-10-2006, 12:02 AM

:thumbsup:

Jarkz
13-12-2006, 11:45 PM
I made up a custom made alloy 2.5 inch (by myself) short ram pod style intake & AEM V2 style pod intake on my D16A8 CRX, and also on my D16A9 EG Si Sedan. The short ram did help throttle response and low end tourque but heat soak was an issue.

With the longer AEM style type that I fabricated I used 3 ich alloy form the throttle body to pod, it improved midrange to top end performance but not by much, though i lost the throttle response of the short ram style.

Then I tried a factory LS1 V8 Airbox and modified it to suit 2.5 inch thick irrigation rubber feeding from the throttle body (with heat soak wrap around it) to the air box, then another lenght of 2.5 irrigation rubber piping feeding
near the headlight on a downwards angle. It gave the best of both worlds, no heat soak, throttle response, low, mid and top end power.

Might be different on VTEC motors as I'm yet to experiment with one. I'll let you know once my H22A is in my EG Si Sedan but I presume it will give the same results.

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I plan do do the same with the H22A VTEC in my Civic.

fxr
15-12-2006, 10:57 PM
forgive my ignorance, but i've recently decided to change to a metal intake pipe from my stock rubber one that's connected to my blitz pod... but i noticed there 's a hard plastic 'chamber' connected to the stock pipe a little way back from the throttle body... could somebody tell me what this is? i've got a D16Y1 if it helps...

and also, how much should i expect to spend if i go an exhaust place and ask them to make me a custom pipe?

Jarkz
16-12-2006, 03:43 AM
forgive my ignorance, but i've recently decided to change to a metal intake pipe from my stock rubber one that's connected to my blitz pod... but i noticed there 's a hard plastic 'chamber' connected to the stock pipe a little way back from the throttle body... could somebody tell me what this is? i've got a D16Y1 if it helps...

and also, how much should i expect to spend if i go an exhaust place and ask them to make me a custom pipe?

Personally I would'nt bother with the metal pipe as it will retain heat form under bonnet temps. If you must for the look factor then use alloy as it dose'nt conduct heat as quick as metal and also cools down quicker. I recently spotted at Repco and Autobarn a Length of flexible silicon rubber by MONZA that was very similar to what I used and the price of it was very reasonable.

Don't bother with the exhaust shops when you can buy prefabricated 60 and
90 degree polished alloy bends from the above mentioned places.

spardikis
17-12-2006, 11:10 AM
how positive are you that alloy doesnt conduct heat as easy as stainless steel? I think you might be miss-led there...

Jarkz
17-12-2006, 06:26 PM
how positive are you that alloy doesnt conduct heat as easy as stainless steel? I think you might be miss-led there...

Alloy may conduct heat as much as metal (I doubt it though). But alloy dispurses heat alot quicker than metal.

spardikis
17-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Aluminium is an excellent heat and electricity conductor and is also a very good reflector of heat and light at the same time.

kyle
17-12-2006, 10:25 PM
CAI is very good investment. Only $300 and you get like 2Kw gain ATFW!
Thats like $150 per kilowatt of power.

Nice FAQ anyway for all the P-Plater Noobs out there. REP+

Jarkz
17-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Aluminium is an excellent heat and electricity conductor and is also a very good reflector of heat and light at the same time.

I'm not going to debate who is right or who wrong but I did a little multimeter heat testing when I performed my intake mods and the got the lower heat reading on alloy than the metal on my car?

How come most "big brand name" Greedy,Apexi, hks etc use alloy or titanium on there Intake tubes and intercooler piping then.

CUL8R
19-12-2006, 03:35 PM
i know for a fact that my aem v2 comes coated with a heat resistant powder coat type paint (sorry ive gone a blank). thats usually what the difference between name brand intakes and el cheapo ebay simota pipes

dont forget, alloy and the exotic titanium are lighter than stainless steel, think of those twin turbo skylines with piping everywhere, it would save alot of weight

Jarkz
19-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't use "cheap" simota products etc... I custom fabricate my stuff.
I'm not spending $150.00 - $300.00 + bucks on intake products when I can achieve
the same result myself if not better for besides nothing. (each to there own I guess)?

CUL8R
20-12-2006, 03:15 PM
dude...chillax...i was just answering ur question

hurstyboy
21-12-2006, 12:26 PM

Alloy may conduct heat as much as metal (I doubt it though). But alloy dispurses heat alot quicker than metal.

LOL um well first stainless steel is an alloy and second an alloy is jsut a combination of diferant metals and all have diferant properties so if u chose the rite one it may give you better heat dissapation but it could be at a diferant cost.....as in weight or strengh or how easy it is to bend.....and using a metal (weather an alloy or not) normally does have advantages over silicone or rubber as it will have a smoother internal bore and not cause as much disturbance in the flow of the intake line

aaronng
21-12-2006, 04:56 PM
^^ he's right. :)

fxr
07-01-2007, 03:04 AM
I don't use "cheap" simota products etc... I custom fabricate my stuff.
I'm not spending $150.00 - $300.00 + bucks on intake products when I can achieve
the same result myself if not better for besides nothing. (each to there own I guess)?

lol wanna fabricate me one for next to nothing too? :p

aaronng
11-01-2007, 07:36 PM

That's because the K heats up the engine bay pretty well. Any gains are negated by the hot air. I made a cold air feed and the enclosed SRI > CAI at all RPM.

czy_sol87
02-02-2007, 06:41 PM
can someone tell me whats the difference with say a $400 aem or injen CAI, and a cheaper $150 simota intake?

also is it right assume that if i heat wrap the alloy piping it will keep the heat out, or will the piping just heat up and keep the heat in??

rawr
02-02-2007, 09:25 PM
in a CAI is the pod filter illegal.. and can you see it?

aaronng
02-02-2007, 09:34 PM
can someone tell me whats the difference with say a $400 aem or injen CAI, and a cheaper $150 simota intake?

also is it right assume that if i heat wrap the alloy piping it will keep the heat out, or will the piping just heat up and keep the heat in??

Injen's probably has the diameter and length optimised for the Euro (their current CAI is already the 2nd version). Simota on the other hand just makes the pipe fit the car, but the length and diameter are not optimised.

With CAIs, the heating of the intake air is not too much of an issue as the air sucked in is cold. SRIs on the other hand suck in hot air from the engine bay. In both cases, heat wrap is useless.

aaronng
02-02-2007, 09:34 PM
in a CAI is the pod filter illegal.. and can you see it?

You can't see the pod in a CAI. Whether it is legal or not, it's up to the cops. Some of them don't mind if they can't see it, while others can make it difficult for you if they want to.

kazam
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
aye peeps, i gotta 94 Civic Vti, i was thinking i go K&N or maybe even simota filter, 2 be xact i mean this 1,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBay...&rd=1

so hopefully i achive the nice suction noise which'll be good, but yeh so wat u guys reckon? thanks in advance aye.

TypeRice
10-02-2007, 06:47 PM
my pipe is facing towards the bonnet.. so it blows air towards the bonnet..

not sure if thats good or bad...

aaronng
10-02-2007, 06:50 PM
my pipe is facing towards the bonnet.. so it blows air towards the bonnet..

not sure if thats good or bad...

Which pipe?

TypeRice
10-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Which pipe?

umm.. i think i'll use pics to show wat im talkin about..
im talkin about that pipe circled in red...

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/typerice/pod1.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/typerice/pod2.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/typerice/pod3.jpg

aaronng
10-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Ahhh, can't you bend it a bit so it faces the filter?

TypeRice
10-02-2007, 07:20 PM
theres also another one underneath the filter as you can see from the 2nd pic...

XB-16-AX
12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
ive read in some air intake reviews ,,they tested on a civic VTEC forgot the engine type, for all the well known air intakes on both short ram and CAI.

Famous names included,
AEM incl. V2
INJEN,
DC Sports
MUGEN,
AC Autotechnic,

and the results was:

short ram = AC Autotechnic 1st
CAI = AEM V2 1st.
= AC Autotechnic 2nd.

Ive never heard of AC Autotechnic, so i purchased a CAI fromt he states, and it goes good great value for its money, considering it was tested against the finest brand names out there, and guess what, it came first for short ram, and second for CAI.

not bad!!

Encor3
12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
with the 2 pipes, take out the airbox, and put your own custom piping towards the pod.

Riviera
14-02-2007, 10:53 PM
or make a pod tunnel or like a air box around the pod which has a tunnel flowing to that box either scooping from the bottom front or like bonnet scoop i dunno thinkin outside or maybe its been done.... im probly right off subject even i just wanted to put my idea out there i was thinking about it on the way home lol :thumbdwn:

shortman_alan
20-04-2007, 11:22 PM
just wondering if i do put a cai in my car. would it get crazy dirty from just sticking out over the wheel like that? as well as if i had a short ram would wat effect would the intake of hot air have on my performance?

plus im not to worried bout bling in my engine bay.. and was reading with interest the idea of a polymer piping... does this have to be custom made. as wouldn't this method help with lowering the amount of hot air coming in to the engine?
Cheers

Riviera
20-05-2007, 08:57 PM
i see that its beena month since some1 replied to your reply so imma say

unless u dont have a mud guard/ fender under there it wont get crazy dirty

sucking in hot air does lower your performance but when starting an engine from cold hot air is what it needs lol, depending on the placement of the filter whether it be shielded from the heat or boxed in behind the battery its going to get some warmth either way,

insulate the intake system?
set up a cooling system around the outside of the intake pipe lol

hondavti25
20-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I have the same issue only i still havnt got proper piping from the intake mainifold to the bod its like half stock half auto barn stuff but it works as far as i know? would it be easier just buy a AEM CAI ? or just getting like silicon piping or somthing to face the pod ? and i was pritty sure if you blow down that pipe next the the pod it comes out the bottom ..... how air gets there its got my screwed but yeah thats just one thing i tryed:P

rhysporter
11-06-2007, 11:15 PM
This might be a really dumb question...
But can you put a CAI onto a twin carby GL engine?
It looks really simple on an EFI engine but when looking at mine... i just see the massive airbox thing and theres a black pipe which runs from it down to the wheel well? do i take all that off or cant it be done?

Simmo2302
26-06-2007, 06:58 PM
just reading up on CAI's and just a note, alloy (aluminium) will heat up quicker then SS (stainless Steel), conduct & distribute heat quicker, but will disperse and cool down quicker where as SS will hold the heat longer.

i m a sheetmetal tradesman and work with aluminium, stainless steel (SS), low carbon steel (LCS) (mild steel), and titanium everyday.

1" thk heat wrap will help keep heat out of metal piping, especially if it is the fibreglass with the aluminium backing type.

( i used to work in air-conditioning we used it to keep heat out and air-con in)

anyway do ppl with CAI's find dirt a problem? filters getting clogged alot ?

czy_sol87
10-07-2007, 02:02 AM
just a question
does the b16a2 have to have a certain size intake pipe. ie 2.25", 2.5", 3" etc, or does it work best with a certain size...
the stock pipe looks like its 3", will a smaller intake pipe affect performance

Nepolian
19-07-2007, 09:55 PM
As far as I know, as a rule of thumb, you generally keep it the same size as your t/B.

JaCe
13-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Sorry I didn't read through this entire thread but...

Another really good cold air intake is the MUGEN Cold air intake.

A significant reduction in pressure loss has been achieved with the Mugen Airbox and filter in comparison with that of the factory AUDM airbox/filter.

A pressure loss reduction of more than 30% has been achieved. The Mugen airbox will reduce pressure loss by an impressive 3 psi while lowering the intake air temperature by 50 degrees.

Stellar mid-range gains combined with excellent high rpm horsepower without all the intake noise associated with conventional cold air systems. Impressive in every way with all the usual Mugen quality and performance touches.

In Conclusion a very good INTAKE SYSTEM (CANT GO PAST IT) :honda: ;)

Does that apply to the Mugen Civic (2006 onwards) air intake by Mugen? From what I can tell on the site without reading japanese, it looks like it's just a replacement air filter similar to a K&N drop-in.

ZeForce
14-09-2007, 04:18 PM
As far as I know, as a rule of thumb, you generally keep it the same size as your t/B.

Actually, the intake piping should have 25% larger cross-sectional area than the throttle body, which is ~70mm for a stock VTiR throttle body

Simmo2302
15-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Actually, the intake piping should have 25% larger cross-sectional area than the throttle body, which is ~70mm for a stock VTiR throttle body

are u sure its cross-sectional area and not just diameter?

if u have a 70mm diameter t/b u need to have a diameter 25% bigger ?

a 25% bigger diameter would mean a 90mm pipe

or do u mean

u take a cross-section of the pipe then work out the area of the cross section (area of a circle), then work out 25% bigger ?

so the area of a 70mm diameter circle is 38.5cm2

so 25% bigger is 48cms2

an 80mm diameter pipe has a cross-sectional aream of 50cms2.

so if u do mean cross-sectional, whats the point u r only going 1cm bigger in diameter?

70mm is just shy of 3" so y not just go 3.5 or 4" pipe?

or is it like most other things, too much is bad, too little is bad. u have to get it spot on?

Nepolian
15-09-2007, 08:58 AM

Remember that the actual butterfly is usually 10% smaller, in most cases. It is a simple rule of thumb. Not all people want to spend their time to work out the E=MC2 when installing an SRI. Its ment to be a quick and cheap effective mod for a mostly stock car.

No way I am knocking about what you said, just trying to give people easy answers.

Cheers

ZeForce
15-09-2007, 02:52 PM
are u sure its cross-sectional area and not just diameter?

if u have a 70mm diameter t/b u need to have a diameter 25% bigger ?

a 25% bigger diameter would mean a 90mm pipe

or do u mean

u take a cross-section of the pipe then work out the area of the cross section (area of a circle), then work out 25% bigger ?

so the area of a 70mm diameter circle is 38.5cm2

so 25% bigger is 48cms2

an 80mm diameter pipe has a cross-sectional aream of 50cms2.

so if u do mean cross-sectional, whats the point u r only going 1cm bigger in diameter?

70mm is just shy of 3" so y not just go 3.5 or 4" pipe?

or is it like most other things, too much is bad, too little is bad. u have to get it spot on?

The second way is correct.... Its like with most things, the biggest isnt always the best. Too big and you sacrifice intake velocity, too small and you restrict the overall flow

Remember that the actual butterfly is usually 10% smaller, in most cases.

I was refering to the cross-sectional area of the butterfly

It is a simple rule of thumb. Not all people want to spend their time to work out the E=MC2 when installing an SRI. Its ment to be a quick and cheap effective mod for a mostly stock car.

No way I am knocking about what you said, just trying to give people easy answers.

Cheers

I do agree with you, the intake is one of the most basic mods which will only give small gains and yet there are hundreds of threads on this forum about which intake is the best or people dissappointed coz they spent $500+ on an intake setup and didnt get the massive gains they were expecting. At the end of the day if u do want to design an effective intake, then it is important to have correct sizings. Intake piping, throttle body, plenum volume, runner size and lengths all need to be in proportion to each other. Optimising the size and length of the intake piping may not give u huge power gains but they can have a big impact on throttle response or the RPM at which the peak torque occurs.

kazam
15-09-2007, 05:24 PM
pi = approximately 3.142

A.G.System
01-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm not going to debate who is right or who wrong but I did a little multimeter heat testing when I performed my intake mods and the got the lower heat reading on alloy than the metal on my car?

How come most "big brand name" Greedy,Apexi, hks etc use alloy or titanium on there Intake tubes and intercooler piping then.

What i think that you will find is that they use Alloy/Titanium and Carbon Fiber
more for weight reasons and not for the heat dispersal.

Reason for this is that most high RPM/ high power engines that use these types of intakes are the kind that have other air flow/ cooling methods.

For example cold air ducts etc.

tealebot
14-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey, i recently bought a 5th Gen SI and am really wantin to get some more power out of it... i was on ebay the other day when i saw a TYPE S for sale in Mel, not sure if anyine saw this but it was 17900. Wen i found out i couldnt get another loan to pay mine out and buy that one i came to the conclusion that i should just keep mine for a while... anyways, i was reading a hot4s(no. 158) mag last nite and in the flat chat section said that u cant do much to a honda engine to make it faster (let alone keep the same power rating)......
Any help would be fantastic! thinking about a CAI but then i saw the Short Ram setups above... also preferred exhausts???

DC5er
05-03-2008, 09:56 PM
hey guys,
sorry about jumping the topic here, i was just wondering about the mugen airbox. is it better off getting a cold air intake for DC5 type S or just leave it stock BUT with mugen airbox....

paps02
04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
the tight ass who last ownd my car simply pulled open the box and now a pod rests there.. its just dangles about and looks really embarrassing where is the ram pod setup available from. and also what mods need to be done to be able to fit cai??

Fletche
08-06-2008, 11:19 AM
So, I was reading up on these intakes and such, because, well i'm in the market for one...

Hmmm, short ram, for quick, noticable change, or cai for the mid to upper rpm band?

Here's my question, could it, by chance be possible to take the two, and, pretty much Y them into one???

that way you have could air coming in, but, you also don't have to wait to hit the higher rpms to feel it...

IDK, if anybody has any ideas, or if you could see something wrong with it, hit me up. lemme know what ya think...

aaronng
08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
So, I was reading up on these intakes and such, because, well i'm in the market for one...

Hmmm, short ram, for quick, noticable change, or cai for the mid to upper rpm band?

Here's my question, could it, by chance be possible to take the two, and, pretty much Y them into one???

that way you have could air coming in, but, you also don't have to wait to hit the higher rpms to feel it...

IDK, if anybody has any ideas, or if you could see something wrong with it, hit me up. lemme know what ya think...

If you can enclose the short ram pod in a box and supply that box with cold air, then you have yourself an SRI/CAI hybrid which you are after.

peter03
10-06-2008, 10:35 AM
hey has any1 here ever order anyfin from the web site www.nengun.com

RtN
10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
*in really wet countries hydrolock is a risk, this requires the full pod to be submerged (knee high puddle) with atleast partial throttle applied (over 50% id guess). ....

how do u get a puddle to be knee high .__.

IndoStyler
10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
knee high puddle would probably be a flood hahaha

kazam
10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
LOL if puddles where knee high, the last thing i'd be worried about was hydrolock, infact, i'd probly be more concerned for my life LOLOL

RtN
10-06-2008, 08:30 PM
LOL tsunami aftermath... rofl yeh.. and yeh the exhaust would be flooded .__. engine probably blow.

Crapdaz
13-06-2008, 11:15 AM
hey has any1 here ever order anyfin from the web site www.nengun.com (http://www.nengun.com)

yeh i have, pretty cheap considering what people are paying to get stuff from shops in oz.

waiting on shipment for the wheels.

liman
13-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I managed to put CAI for CD5 Accord (Injen) into my BB1 Prelude.

peter03
13-06-2008, 11:45 PM
ay crapdaz how long does it normally take 2 ship in??

RtN
28-06-2008, 12:52 AM
LOL tried to install my injen today.. it was like 15 cm off the floor... .__.

RtN
07-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I put my hand in and felt my cold air intake after driving in rain... and uhh its wet.. that's ok right? As long as not submerged!?

T-onedc2
08-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I put my hand in and felt my cold air intake after driving in rain... and uhh its wet.. that's ok right? As long as not submerged!?
correct, although not ideal. Perhaps make up a splash guard to put your mind at ease.

RtN
08-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks.

BigWillieStyles
21-08-2008, 06:20 PM
i put a cheapo CAI on my 4th gen prelude, makes a great sound. With 150,000kms on, the intake hasnt caused an issue. I have driven through massive puddles and the car has 300,000kms going strong!

The prelude is a good car to put one on, as you can hide the filter in the old resonator space which is protected from the elements.

Police have given me defects for the exhaust and tail lights but they could never work out if the Chrome pipe was stock or not. The filter cant be seen.

I personally think that even if the filter got wet, it would struggle to suck what small amounts of water could get through, all the way up the pipe.

Crapdaz
03-09-2008, 02:51 PM
damn man just converted my SRI back to CAI and can tell the car is alot smoother but throttle response has decreased, but nice shrill sound when revving.

Sosa_85
28-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm looking to buy a sri from ebay which comes complete pod filter. My question is: Can I only install the sri without having a cai system?

Eventually I'll do CAI but for now I'll start with sri, but just wanted to clear this up first. thanks ;)

kazam
28-05-2009, 10:26 AM
i dont get it, when u install an intake, u either have a SRI OR a CAI, u can't have both, unless u got a SRI with a DIY cold air feed.... is that wat u mean

Sosa_85
28-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, I should have made reference to this thread to make it more clear... http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13836&highlight=resonator
Cool, thanks for clearing that up!

6-SpeedManual
16-06-2009, 01:43 AM
i don't give a f*ck what 3/4 of ricers may think. extended ram pipes is completely useless. think about it... your extending the pipe. you loose response immediately. only thing that works for n/a cars is shortening the intake pipe as much as you can. usually relocate the battery to the boot. then pod filter enclosure along with a cold air feed. pod filter must be high flow. usually resulting in poor filteration. theres always a compromise between filteration and flow.

Chriskoss
16-06-2009, 01:57 AM
i don't give a f*ck what 3/4 of ricers may think. extended ram pipes is completely useless. think about it... your extending the pipe. you loose response immediately. only thing that works for n/a cars is shortening the intake pipe as much as you can. usually relocate the battery to the boot. then pod filter enclosure along with a cold air feed. pod filter must be high flow. usually resulting in poor filteration. theres always a compromise between filteration and flow.'

I agree with you man :thumbsup:

T-onedc2
16-06-2009, 08:07 AM
i don't give a f*ck what 3/4 of ricers may think. extended ram pipes is completely useless. think about it... your extending the pipe. you loose response immediately. only thing that works for n/a cars is shortening the intake pipe as much as you can. usually relocate the battery to the boot. then pod filter enclosure along with a cold air feed. pod filter must be high flow. usually resulting in poor filteration. theres always a compromise between filteration and flow.
There's a bigger compromise with SRI compared to a well designed CAI. Perhaps you should do some research.

6-SpeedManual
16-06-2009, 02:07 PM
There's a bigger compromise with SRI compared to a well designed CAI. Perhaps you should do some research.

Yeah your right. you compromise the fact that you won't get points from other ricers.

Please elaborate your statement?

btw I didn't say anything about a short ram, i'm talking about shortening of the factory intake piping.

integral90
16-06-2009, 02:11 PM

You're pretty wrong. A well design CAI will tunnel the air and give it much more velocity. You will lose response slightly going to a longer pipe of course, but when you're talking about 15-20cm of extra pipe on a system that can be like 100cm long, it's pretty trivial, especially when the air is travelling faster in the CAI.

T-onedc2
16-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah your right. you compromise the fact that you won't get points from other ricers.

Please elaborate your statement?

btw I didn't say anything about a short ram, i'm talking about shortening of the factory intake piping.
I don't like ricers any more than you, and you clearly don't like them.

I think I misread your post, if you mean extending the stock CAI inlet without giving thought to improved flow, then yes I agree.

mr_vti_s
26-06-2009, 05:09 PM
yow fellaz just a quick question about this thread, does the size of the pipe matters? like 3inch or 2.5inch?? does is make any difference? thanks :)

wazza7
12-08-2009, 09:56 PM
great info guys, my euro has a k and n typhoon short ram with cai extention, i think i may now use the cai after hearing this good exlpanation. cheers!

_bORdO_
12-08-2009, 10:40 PM
me and a friend did this not long ago and thought it was a good idea.

we've kept the stock piping,
added 3A racing pod (with the inner depth @ the center),
then cable tied an adjustable pipe to run from inbetween the side of the radiator and drivers headlight and into the inner center of the pod...
heres sum pics to explain a little better!

betty792
31-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I think maybe we need to do some dyno testing to get some real results...there is a lot of technical talk about all this and i think the biggest result is going to be noise related thinking your car goes faster....i would think on a dyno you would be lucky to get an extra 2kw atw and at that rate you may aw well have just pulled your spare tyre out for the day...anyway good luck guys

clutch
31-08-2009, 10:22 AM
I think maybe we need to do some dyno testing to get some real results...there is a lot of technical talk about all this and i think the biggest result is going to be noise related thinking your car goes faster....i would think on a dyno you would be lucky to get an extra 2kw atw and at that rate you may aw well have just pulled your spare tyre out for the day...anyway good luck guys

i think from having a pod to having a "cold pod" is bugger all difference, but from the stock box to a pod theres a bigger difference, maybe 5-10 kw? correct me if im wrong :D

nabb
01-09-2009, 10:31 PM
yeah man great post, explains a lot..

redefine
03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
me and a friend did this not long ago and thought it was a good idea.

we've kept the stock piping,
added 3A racing pod (with the inner depth @ the center),
then cable tied an adjustable pipe to run from inbetween the side of the radiator and drivers headlight and into the inner center of the pod...
heres sum pics to explain a little better!

no offence, but i doubt that flexi pipe would do anything...

_bORdO_
04-09-2009, 12:26 AM
ahahah :o im pretty sure your right when you say that... although it seems logical - kinda? dont you think? :confused:

so im driving yeah, and whilst im driving cold air is constantly gushing into the pipe and straight up into my pod which is sucking in air...
i mean it wouldnt be just cold air running throughout the whole diametre of the pod but it has to add at least 10% more cold air than usual .... errm that is to say i havent actually tested this ahaha!

It's the illusion of it that makes me feel better :cool:

redefine
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
given that hot air is easier to suck, your likely to get like 5% more cold air, if that. even less if your not running a ram setup in the bumper.

but if you like it, whatever :P

Chriskoss
13-09-2009, 11:37 PM
IMO I think its a good idea.. the fuel economy of short ram with a little, and I say little not massive gain (for the arguers) to get the cold air gains.. good work dude.. May I ask where you got that flexi piping from, and how did you get it to stay in the pod? Also what is your pod shield made out of?
cheers

_bORdO_
14-09-2009, 02:14 AM
Thanks Chriskoss,
It's a Monza heat shield and i think it's aluminised steel sheets, which i think is ment to cool heaps quicker than normal steel sheets.
The flexi pipe i got from a friend who works at autotechnica, so im not sure about the avaliablity of them. But i have seen these pipes in airconditioning places believe it or not ahhaa. Try your luck there.

To keep it in place I
- wedged the bottom tip of it under the overflow bottle which hold really firm for starters.
- used a cable tie to hold the center of it (shown in picture 3)
- the top end just sits inside the center of the pod (so i didn't need to secure the top part)

Note: The cable tie needs to be changed every so often only bc after a while of constant heat from the engine it hardens and snaps easily.

Chriskoss
14-09-2009, 02:55 AM
Thanks for that dude! Very helpful info I'm sure alot of us can use

cheers

ajbm
14-09-2009, 04:38 AM
hi all,
I just installed an alloy heatshield over a SRI with a K&N filter, then ill be making a cold air feed from underneath. I mainly did this to prevent any defects... I like to be able to drive without having to worry about getting a defect notice for a petty thing such as having a open pod filter in ur engine bay!
here's some pics:
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02283.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02298.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02300.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02302.jpg

Chriskoss
16-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Damn,looks good, im trying to make one atm,hard to make it fit, how did you go about doing it

P.S doesnt it make an annoying rattling sound during idle/driving?

ajbm
23-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Damn,looks good, im trying to make one atm,hard to make it fit, how did you go about doing it

P.S doesnt it make an annoying rattling sound during idle/driving?
sorry for the late reply,
I'm still working on the bottom end (cold air feed) of this setup.
here's some pics of the mounting points I used
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/mountingpoints-1.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/Podfilterheatshieldmountingpoints.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/intakepipemountingpoint.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/intakepipemount.jpg

and no, so far so good I don't hear any rattles :)

ajbm
23-09-2009, 10:05 AM
next step is to removed the resonator:
first front bar was taken out to gain access (note: circled where the screws and bolts are)
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/EF8frontbarremoval.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/resonator.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/frontbarremoved.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/EF8mounts.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/resonatorremoved.jpg
now this is ready to be instralled
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02418.jpg

ajbm
23-09-2009, 10:18 AM
so far here's what she looks like atm,
Not perfect but looks O.K. :thumbsup:
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02422.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02427.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02439.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02445.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DSC02440.jpg

Chriskoss
23-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Looks great! Thanks so much for the detailed diagrams, will make it alot easier when I do mine :)
cheers

ajbm
29-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Looks great! Thanks so much for the detailed diagrams, will make it alot easier when I do mine :)
cheers

No probs mate, just give us a yell if ya need a hand!

dougie_504
03-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Adrian you're such a whinger ---> "Not perfect but it looks O.K." my butt man, it looks rockin'!

PS: Sending out my J's Racing Lips tomorrow hopefully. Gotta source some scrap aluminium to make myself some brackets too...

im.Kusuma
07-12-2009, 03:08 AM
review from my own experience =

For Carby engine..

I own a EG GL.. I did an experiment using CAI pipe going down thru the bumper grill.. what i noticed from stock piping and CAI has a big improvements.. Im not tryna talk shit or anything.. im saying from my own experience...

What i noticed are the engine response.. Using OEM intake which connects to the hole into the side quarter panel, and CAI.. The oem has more harder suction which i felt that engine was holding back.. I was on first gear.. revd it to 6000rpm.. The rpm didnt move as fast as the diy cai...and wen i use the diy cai, it pretty much went quicker which basically quicker response.. dont know about you carby owners, but it did make a difference to me.. btw, what i mean by cai is not with the pod, its just a pipe sucking in cold air from out side..

Also when i was on M4.. i was driving 100.. Usually the response for me to go to 120 isnt that quick with oem piping, but comparing it to the cai.. it was much quicker response..

and again, it was good shit. lol sorry if i repeated my self a few times

Just sharing experiences :)

trentd
13-04-2010, 02:29 PM
go turbo =D

CEEVIC
02-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I have a CAI for my dc2. i have 2 custom pipes and a small pipe connecting to my podfilter. I tried installing it but the pod wouldnt fit at the problem. So i just took out one of the pipes and made it into a Short ram intake. Is there any harm of doing that? using cai pipes as a sri?

im.Kusuma
02-06-2010, 10:49 PM
I have a CAI for my dc2. i have 2 custom pipes and a small pipe connecting to my podfilter. I tried installing it but the pod wouldnt fit at the problem. So i just took out one of the pipes and made it into a Short ram intake. Is there any harm of doing that? using cai pipes as a sri?

nothing wrong with that :)

ajbm
13-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Since i didn't finish my last post in this thread here's my current set-up:
DIY A COLD AIR FEED
Remove front bar
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC02349.jpg
Remove old resonator box
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC02353.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC02355.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC04844.jpg
Install the Superr-Flex (A/C) Vent ducts, cut to shape, and mount it in.
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC02419.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC04851.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC04852.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC04854.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC04855.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC04846.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC04845.jpg
Create an opening for cold air to feed through your new setup
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC04857.jpg
Time to install your front bar back in yo!
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/ajbm/DIY%20Heatshield%20with%20cold%20air%20feed/DSC04858.jpg

check out DIY section for more info: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?131994-DIY-Heat-shield-over-Pod-Filter-with-cold-air-feed

vzleo
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
nice +1 from me

RtN
01-10-2010, 03:35 PM
if the end of the airbox has a pipe that goes somewhere where it can suck in "cold" air then it can be classified as cold air intake. But if its directly on then... i think its still sucking in hot air. Not really a good idea as you would do one or the other only. 2 filters = air flow restrictions.

RtN
01-10-2010, 04:56 PM
So yeh basically you can either:

- not use the pod.. and use a panel filter (stock or K&N Drop-In). And direct the pipe to down lower like where ur resonator used to be etc

- use the pod and not use the panel filter.

I recommend the first option as thats kinda what the icebox/mugen intakes are based on.

RtN
01-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Use an idea similar to this:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ThreadPage=1&ForumID=15&TopicID=187672&PagePosition=1

Fredoops
10-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Just wanna put in my 2c, i've been looking at a aftermarket intake for ages. And I found a review below to be especially insightful:
http://www.jdmlove.org/reviews/intake-exhaust/ct-ice-box-intake-vs-injen-sp1431-intake/

I'm personally very interested in the "Ice Box" setup, it' seems to be a the perfect compromise between SRI and CAI with less tendency to both heat transfer issues with SRI and the Water problems with CAI.

And IceBoxes seems to be pretty darn cheap compared to some of the CAI's out there (due to the fact it's just plastic), also it keeps your car looking VERY stock, good for the insurance companies... but if you want shiney engine bay then i guess CAI/SRI is still the way to go...

PS: I've found ANY aftermarket intake will give you more power due to the fact it removes the resonator.... Hell even stock intake will give more oomph if you remove the resonator.

av90
10-10-2010, 12:42 PM
is long ram intake just like cold air intake? since theyre mounted in the same way both would suck in cold air

Fredoops
10-10-2010, 12:49 PM
is long ram intake just like cold air intake? since theyre mounted in the same way both would suck in cold air
as far as i know yeah, Long ram is just the CAI, ie: long piping going OUT of the engine bay.

Edit: Got an idea... I've heard from some Yaris forums with people putting holes in the bottom of the airbox like swiss cheese.

Anyone tried that? considering the airbox in my Euro CL9 is right againest the body work, I might put some holes in the intake pipe between the resonator and the airbox and see if that makes any difference.

TigerChef
16-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Hey all, first post right here!!

I have been looking into a short ram air intake for my 1991 Civic Gl, but all the manfacturers' notes say that their product is for the Si model only.

Can I install a short ram air intake into my Gl model, so long as it fits, or is there a reason for the 'Si only' warning?

Cheers!

hmetro24
21-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey all, first post right here!!

I have been looking into a short ram air intake for my 1991 Civic Gl, but all the manfacturers' notes say that their product is for the Si model only.

Can I install a short ram air intake into my Gl model, so long as it fits, or is there a reason for the 'Si only' warning?

Cheers!
if your civic is dual carb not injection so you can not install cai. you should replace the filter inside the back box.

Is it legal to use cai in Melbourne, will it pass rwc ?

Fredoops
29-05-2011, 12:59 PM
if your civic is dual carb not injection so you can not install cai. you should replace the filter inside the back box.

Is it legal to use cai in Melbourne, will it pass rwc ?

As far as I know, exposed filter = defect in VIC.

gumus89
29-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Defect! It can get soaked in fuel and catch fire... :|

dougie_504
31-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Exposed oil-based filters are illegal (most of them are oil-based) but paper-based are not.

Just put it in the guard above wheel-well. That's enclosed IMO.

Sirumz
14-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Are Cold Air Intakes Legal In Victoria. Also how difficult are they too install/will i kill my engine installing it in my backyard?

Sirumz
14-07-2012, 05:55 PM
/ i have a 98 Civic VTi Hatch, Fresh off the boat from Japan.

mr_vti_s
15-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Are Cold Air Intakes Legal In Victoria. Also how difficult are they too install/will i kill my engine installing it in my backyard?

they are not really hard to install, most of the are just plug and play, but sometimes it depends on what type of brand your getting, also if its the right one for your car..

butterfingers
15-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Just wanna put in my 2c, i've been looking at a aftermarket intake for ages. And I found a review below to be especially insightful:
http://www.jdmlove.org/reviews/intake-exhaust/ct-ice-box-intake-vs-injen-sp1431-intake/

I'm personally very interested in the "Ice Box" setup, it' seems to be a the perfect compromise between SRI and CAI with less tendency to both heat transfer issues with SRI and the Water problems with CAI.

And IceBoxes seems to be pretty darn cheap compared to some of the CAI's out there (due to the fact it's just plastic), also it keeps your car looking VERY stock, good for the insurance companies... but if you want shiney engine bay then i guess CAI/SRI is still the way to go...

PS: I've found ANY aftermarket intake will give you more power due to the fact it removes the resonator.... Hell even stock intake will give more oomph if you remove the resonator.

If a person drives their car in such a way that hydrolock becomes a problem, they shouldn't be driving/owning a decent car in the first place.

dr ken
15-03-2013, 12:53 PM
a Decent CAI makes small amounts of power gains but makes the car sound much nicer. Keep in mind that in most states they are illegal. I've heard of some people putting a stock box over the CAI so it seems like it it a stock intake system

MR.K
04-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Do intakes make more power after being tuned?

androo
04-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Do intakes make more power after being tuned?
Yes, your car will.

MR.K
09-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Yes, your car will.

oh cool. how much does a typical intake tune cost btw?

dougie_504
09-05-2013, 04:44 PM
It makes more power after a 'tune' but you don't have your car tuned after getting an intake.

Tune = 5-10 times the cost of the intake.

You only tune when you need it.

After an intake, disconnect your battery for a few minutes then plug it back on so your ECU resets itself and adjusts to the new intake setup. That's all.