PDA

View Full Version : B16a conversion into '76 civic.

dougysgone
27-04-2004, 08:27 PM
I am in the early stages of planning to put a b16a into a '76 civic. Can anyone help me with advise of where to obtain a front cut of the VTIR civic; has this conversion been done, what problems am I going to encounter? I live in Melbourne so I will be needing aMelbourne based company to perform the work. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Doug

b16a_integra
27-04-2004, 08:30 PM
you could try Razztech they spose to be really good for da engine conversions and stuff like that. if you want a b16a i got one if you wanna buy email me at simmo@hotkey.net.au or i can get one for you.

Setanta
27-04-2004, 10:07 PM
It's been done into a 2nd gen Civic, but I have a feeling you just dont have the room to do it in a SBC (1st gen).

IMO a D16 SOHC VTEC would be a better move, it only gives away 30 on the B16A and will definitely fit

Breeze
27-04-2004, 10:42 PM
B16A doesn't fit in an SB shell easily. The chassis rails need to be shaved and it is a tight *ss fit. I have seen only 2 conversions done. With a tube frame front end then no probs, after all they put them in minis right!

Go for the first gen B16A as it has cable clutch and you can make it work with the SB pedalbox.

The wiring is a hassle, I have a lot of engine conversions on this model and the EFI install gets quite easy after a while but still very fiddly, especially getting the dash wiring working with the engine loom as a single loom rather than the dodge way of running twin looms.

You need surge tank and prepump or cut up the stock tank and fit an internal swirl pot.

You need bigger fuel lines up to 1/2 inch supply and use the original supply line as a return line. Keep the other line for evap canister.

Stock SB civic shafts are pretty tough especially the wagon ones. If you use the intemediate shaft off the B16A then the two short SB shafts should be able to be used. You may need to mix and match if so play around with the short shafts of the later civics/accords, the best thing is most of the inner cvs are a plug in fit.

I know of a first gen complete CRX swap with about 45000kms on it here in Canberra that the owner wants to get rid of cheap. Contact Pillow on this forum.

You may want to consider a 79 shell as these had more room in the engine bay with the pointed rad support panel. The front end off the 1500 civic (4dr) could also be grafted onto the 1200 for more room but the short blunt nose of the SB3dr is one of its assets.

Some firewale clearancing is also required. Also think about your heater outlets etc because you may have to run without unless you think it through properly.

For easy conversions consider

D15B vtec (jap spec 130hp)
D16Y8 aus vti 1600 130hp (but cable D series gearbox)
D15B twin carb 100hp Aus spec
ES 1800 prelude twin carb 110hp titanium alloy head, tough motor with iron block. Still weighs about the same as b16A. The was a jap EFI version which would take well to turbo.
ZC black rocker cover 130hp (these go really well in a civic)
EK1800 direct bolt in close to 100hp
ER 1200 turbo almost drop in but need wiring/efi/intercooler

All of these motors make the light weight civic very quick. I have done or helped people do all of the above swaps and they work very well. The SB civic is a top little car. Good luck.

Setanta
27-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Everyone loves the SBC ;)

dougysgone
28-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks very much for the feed back. I have $10k budgeted for the project so the B16A was my first choice for the simple fact that 118kw in this car wil make for a bloody great power to weight ratio as well as being quite driveable. I am really keen to stay with this engine unless I can get the same performance for a lot less money and without a turbo.

Breeze
28-04-2004, 07:37 PM
$10K may just do it. If you get the complete drivetrain for the right price and pillow should see to that.

B16A is an excellent choice for a motor as there are so many parts available for them and you can increase on the already excellent brake specific horsepower figure which is still one of the best of any production engine.

A 1600 shouldn't concern too many engineers, I think in QLD a 1900cc turbo is the largest engine size you can fit in a SB civic. That could be insane and it was up to about 3.0L of NA capacity. Power figures don't come into it.

For $8K you should be able to find someone to massage the engine bay for the swap. However conversions always run over budget.....It is the little things that add up. Can you do any of the work yourself? Ie get the engine installed but do the wiring yourself.

dougysgone
30-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Yeah my old man is an electronics teacher, I'm sure if we had a diagram we could work it out. Are these easily attainable? I've sent pillow an email regarding the engine, so thanks for the lead.

SIKCVC
30-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Theres a guy in Victoria whos selling a b16a Teg DA6 with the cable clutch. he wants $2K for the whole front cut. He said he'd bring it down and show it running for $100 on top. Well worth it. Want his email?