PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad's

02ZZI
27-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Hello,
My brake pad's are almost gone. Its time to get some new ones. Instead of getting honda's one's or the ones my local mechanic supplies i have decided to get something a bit better. What can you guys recommend? I really dont have that much knowledge of what pad's are good. I got a 99 ek1 cxi so it has drums at the back.
Please give me a hand.
Thanks,
James

ek
27-04-2006, 09:07 PM
If its standard, just get the OEM ones!

kayot1k
27-04-2006, 09:15 PM
oems are the bomb bro. a common misconception of the average person/s to think that aftermarket is always better.

ECU-MAN
27-04-2006, 09:32 PM
:thumbsup:

oems are the bomb bro. a common misconception of the average person/s to think that aftermarket is always better.

Paul1985
27-04-2006, 10:07 PM
OEM are expensive and absolutely perfect for street use. I think getting any better would just be being paranoid.

I installed bendix pads i got from autobarn for $70 about a year ago now and they have been fine. They squeel sometimes. I personally think OEM are a better option, but these have served me well. These would be cheaper than OEM.

I say if you have money you dont mind spending go with OEM, otherwise get pads similar to what i got. Any honda dealership should be able to supply you with OEM pads, when i called and asked for a price on a set of front only pads i was told $160. Im not sure on if thats the correct price or not, seemed a bit pricey too me. Bendix or similar style pads you should be able to get for around $70 +/- from most auto parts stores like autobarn, supercheap, repco etc.

If you really did need pads better than OEM, which you shouldnt unless you track your car, then id check out the traders off this forum for something like EBC green pads. Im not sure on the price of these but i wouldnt imagine getting pads made for the track would be the best pad to buy for use on the street.

egSi
27-04-2006, 10:24 PM
u can always get a 'street spec' pad man.

endless, EBC etc.

aaronng
27-04-2006, 10:38 PM
For street use, go OEM. If you are tracking, I would go aftermarket. My OEMs didn't hold up well on the track and got glazed from the friction and heat. Plus it grooved my rotors!.

02ZZI
28-04-2006, 12:19 AM
what about endless and winmax? i think i want get a lil better then stop my goal is to eventually get my car on the track so i gotta keep on at it.

Chris_F
28-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Yea I'd definitely go an aftermarket pad if you plan on tracking. They are probably one of the most important upgrades.

I'm getting some endless pads on in a week or two, I'll let you know how they go.

krogoth
28-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Yea I'd definitely go an aftermarket pad if you plan on tracking. They are probably one of the most important upgrades.

I'm getting some endless pads on in a week or two, I'll let you know how they go.

u gona be takin ur euro on track?

Chris_F
28-04-2006, 12:59 AM
yea, been planning on doing it for a while now. Hopefully get out there within the next couple of months.

krogoth
28-04-2006, 01:40 AM
yea, been planning on doing it for a while now. Hopefully get out there within the next couple of months.

thats pretty mad man, have fun and make sure you tell us how u go after a few rounds :thumbsup:

btw, wat track?

PaZzMaN-R
28-04-2006, 07:17 AM
hey mate if you after oem pads let me know il fix u up with the right price. i also got a set of rear pads to fit an ek4 if someones looking. il get them cost. they made by nissin so they not shite and honda use quality parts as you do know. the pads would most probably be fine for tracking depending on mods and how hard you push it.

aaronng
28-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Have fun changing brake fluid after track day. My fluid turned from yellow to chocolate (Dot4)

Vivski
28-04-2006, 06:08 PM
I was making the same decision a while ago. I've been on the Bendix but they didn't hold up to spirited driving... fade after a couple of stops. OEM have been excellent. I wouldn't track them but if I was going to the track I'd switch to another pad then switch back for road use. In my experience the OEM is the best solution... worth the extra $$.

czy_sol87
28-04-2006, 06:52 PM
just a question should u always get the rotors machined when u change ur pads???
and how do u tell if u need to machine the rotors

bigjo5
28-04-2006, 08:44 PM
if u have $$ then get the genuine honda brakes they wont have any squeekin and squeelin.. but if u dont have $$ then just get the most common affordable brakes like bendix..to me does the same job.. just the genuine are quieter and last abit longer...

you dont have to machine it when u change ur pads .... i think when it all warped and uneven..

Limbo
28-04-2006, 09:15 PM
only machine if the surface is extrememly uneven or scratched due to the metal scratching

bigjo5
28-04-2006, 09:22 PM
only machine if the surface is extrememly uneven or scratched due to the metal scratching

yeah ur right . some pplz have the metal warning piece on there brake pad scraping agains the rotor... there for the disc isnt even so im guessin when u put on new brake pads the disc will *** up the pads

02ZZI
28-04-2006, 11:23 PM
im deciding between endless super street sport m pads and the winmax underground imports have for sale? anyone have any info about these 2? i will go oem if these are not better then oem. I dont really consider my daily driving street use as of late for some reason

02ZZI
28-04-2006, 11:28 PM
also on the availability to obtain the endless pads aswell

siksivic
01-05-2006, 07:13 PM
O3zzy seeing as you are a genuine Club racer in japan i recommend you upgrade to sum hyundai accent brakes , i hear from the undergound that Spoon and Jun use this set up in their Touge S2K

02ZZI
01-05-2006, 07:37 PM
haha i hear that accent drum's are of top quality and often used by the gt500 competitors