PDA

View Full Version : stock s2k brakes vs aftermarket

robert112
28-04-2006, 09:17 AM
hey guys i have a question/theory i want you to comment on.

Driving an s2k at track (wakefield in this scenario) would there be any difference between stock brakes and upgraded brembos/rotors?

I mean, I don't feel any fade so I don't see the point of upgrading brakes.
this is for standard rubber on standard wheels on standard s2k.

what you think? If your brakes only fade a bit and they still have locking potential (ofcourse ABS wont let you) then there's no point in goin better brakes right? or will the initial bite of the brake be the only benefit since the stock brakes might slightly spunge for a millisecond. (i hope im making slight sense)

AusS2000
28-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Exactly right. If you can lock up/engage abs your brakes are still good enough. And on road tyres I suspect the S brakes are more than adequate.

I use R spec tyres on the track and did manage to overheat my brakes at one point. I've since upgraded to Race Brakes pads and DOT5.1 fluid and not had a problem. I'm also installing brake cooling from the faux air vents so that should keep things more in spec.

.::F[L]Y::.
28-04-2006, 10:28 AM
i have had spoon calipers on my s2000 and i reckon there is a better brake feel as oppose to the standard brakes. But as you mentioned the stock s2000 brakes are more than enough if you are just run a standard setup. At the end of the day the car was designed for track use.

AusS2000
28-04-2006, 11:27 AM
I have a feeling that "brake feel" is like "throttle response". One of those things you feel after paying big dollars for a product that doesn't really make much difference. Cognitive dissonance. :LOL:

Seriously, the Spoon calipers are very nice and I expect they have a much higher braking capacity than stock calipers but I'm not sure anyone is going to utilise it.

The other side is that they don't fit (at least with stock wheels). To fit them you need massive wheel spacers which throw your chassis geometry out. Not much point in ruining your geometry in order to upgrade something that doesn't need it. Of course if you're running aftermarket wheels that accommodate the Spoon calipers that's a different story.