PDA

View Full Version : EK1 GLi trailing arm

muhhan
28-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Is the EK1 trailing arm on the GLi the same as the trailing arm on the CXi? The reason I ask is that I want to change the drum brakes to discs. I know this has been covered before but I'm not able to find the answer to my question on this forum so far. I understand that the normal way of going about this is to just replace the entire trailing arm from a compatible car with rear discs but I have read in HondaTuning magazine that it can be done without having to replace the entire rear trailing arm. One of the things that I see are that if the trailing arms are the same then would the hub and caliper bracket from a GLi bolt straight onto the trailing arm from a CXi? I guess the hub from the CXi can't be used as it would lack the retaining screw holes, although I'm not sure if this would matter. Is the reason people suggest the whole trailing arm replacement route because it is easier for a wrecker, and probably myself, to undo five bolts rather than remove the axle nut and entire disc brake assembly? As well as the fact that a wrecker isn't going to have any use for a naked pair of trailing arms.

I'm also guessing that I will need the hand brake cable from the GLi. I haven't had a chance to look at the rear brakes of a GLi up close and personal but from what I've gathered the GLi and CXi are the same except for a few incar instruments, power options and the rear brakes. If the two cars are essentially the same then the master cylinder and proportioning valve would not need to be changed if the CXi components are the same as the GLi. Is that correct? That is why I opted for the GLi components.

I also understand that most people would opt for changing the brakes to something better all round such as from a EK4 or the integra, or evening dumping the CXi and buying a better car, but that's not really the reason I got into modding cars. My partner and I will be doing all the work ourselves.

Zdster
28-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Drop me a PM. I have what you need to do the upgrade.

As far as I was told, the arms are slightly different (but you might be able to get away without changing them), but I was unable to confirm the information anywhere.

rollin_high
28-04-2006, 07:36 PM
ha how are you yes i have done it on an older model its easier just to got to a wrecker and swap the complete arm it will come the calipers and handbrake cable its quiet easie,any questions you have just ask me.