PDA

View Full Version : Did ride of Jazz improve with years?

lokets
30-04-2006, 12:38 AM
As you may have noticed, Jazz is considered to be near the top of its class in many areas but its ride is less than desirable. I read several reviews which commonly reports that earlier models, such as the 2002 ones (like my 1.3 GLi), has a rather harsh and too firm ride.

I also noticed this myself and one of the things that is abit of an embarassment when you have friends sitting at the back and they are bouncing up/down like mad, even over rather smooth road surfaces. What's wrong this car of yours?!.. urh... I don't know...

Anyway, there are reports to suggest that Honda realises this and started to tune the suspension in the stock Jazz from that time on (at least for the Jazz's in the UK).

1. I just like to know, for the selected few who may have drove Jazz's from different years, do you notice any improvements in the ride at all?

2. And for those who are getting their new 2006 Jazz (oh so nice...) which are sourced from Thailand, what is its ride, if you know, in comparison with the previous Jazz's?

The reason I ask is if this "harsh" ride is gone, particularly in the new 2006 VTi Jazz from Thailand, I may consider getting one to replace my aging 2003 GLi - this is about the only big thing that makes me dislike about my Jazz.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

panda[cRx]
30-04-2006, 12:54 AM
hmmmm i've never had any problems with em. i've given both gli's and vti's a good workout but never really had an issue with ride quality

Poeter
30-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Yea i think the ride is a bit firm but it doesn't bother me.

Can only notice the harshness if the road quality is crap or there's a pothole on the road.

beaugus
30-04-2006, 08:30 AM
I personally think the pre-face lift models (04 down) have a noticable difference (simular to how you describe the feel) The one thing I notice in particular is the tightness of steering compared to newer model Jazz's. My brother owns an 04' VTi-S and I cant get over the difference of the steering when i come back to my 05' model. I've booked myself a test drive for a new 06' VTi model but my expectations probbably wont be beaten by the already satisfying feel of a face-lift model Jazz.

Or maybe its just me? Either way, I do feel the difference between the years in the Jazz, but unless your really trying hard to feel any difference it wont bother you until you have some comparrison.

sassy_fit_vtit
30-04-2006, 11:06 AM
really.? i find my steering wheel really light to light maybe.. the bumpy ride doesnt bother me.. ive driven worse cars lol.

Pogi
30-04-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't notice much of a bumpy ride besides when I push the car.

panda[cRx]
30-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I personally think the pre-face lift models (04 down) have a noticable difference (simular to how you describe the feel) The one thing I notice in particular is the tightness of steering compared to newer model Jazz's. My brother owns an 04' VTi-S and I cant get over the difference of the steering when i come back to my 05' model.

Or maybe its just me? Either way, I do feel the difference between the years in the Jazz, but unless your really trying hard to feel any difference it wont bother you until you have some comparrison.

actually i have noticed that. the facelift ones are great. i haven't driven the older ones as much but there steering seems less responsive and the ride seems a bit stiffer

Jus-10
30-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Mines rough as guts (an '03 model)

But I'm running on slammed and stiff TEIN coilovers :P

hehehe - I can't stand cars with stock suspension....I would even upgrade the sussy in a Ferari if I had one

^CarBoy^
30-04-2006, 10:17 PM
you got that right JUS-10!! bawhwhbhwbhwhba :)

Oh just a question did you put your TEIN Super Wagons all the way down??? I want to slam mine down!!!

muli
03-05-2006, 04:18 PM
nothing wrong with harsh and firm road, just aussie roads are crap. I've driven a 05 and it had still the body roll in it.

Jazzle
03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
i've driven both for a pretty long period.. 05 has softer suspension.. but i personally do not think it's got any better.. yes it's more comfortable but since it's soft.. the car actually have more body roll during cornering.. and when u go over speed hump, it doesn't absorb the bounces properly and often produce some scratching noises on the tyres.

lokets
03-05-2006, 06:05 PM
i've driven both for a pretty long period.. 05 has softer suspension.. but i personally do not think it's got any better.. yes it's more comfortable but since it's soft.. the car actually have more body roll during cornering.. and when u go over speed hump, it doesn't absorb the bounces properly and often produce some scratching noises on the tyres.

So, the 05 (presumably 06) Jazz's have softer suspension, yes? The body roll is prevalent on all Jazz due to the tall body & high CG - that can be reduced with strut bars. But this bit of the wheel hitting the guard when going over bumps is ... quite disappointing.

Currently, the 03 Jazz is so "tight" (the reverse of soft) that I feel like sitting on a see-saw, swinging up & down, even when cruising at say 60 kph over a slightly imperfect road - I would prefer a more comfortable ride, that's what I mean. I guess this setting is a compromise between performance and comfort - and I prefer slightly the latter.

If it appears that 05/06 Jazz do have softer suspension, I like that. But that's just me.

BTW, saw a white 06 GLi today and followed closely, just to observe the LED brake light. When it came on, I go.. "wow... cool", it is a must have! The third high-mount light is also LED. And I also noticed the 06 Jazz mirror wing is more angular than my 03 rounder ones. Personally, I don't like that.

quangsta
03-05-2006, 06:35 PM
maybe cause you had like 4 fat guys in the car and suspension on under more stress then it can handle..

Mines rough as guts (an '03 model)

But I'm running on slammed and stiff TEIN coilovers :P

hehehe - I can't stand cars with stock suspension....I would even upgrade the sussy in a Ferari if I had one

have u driven a ferrari??...maybe they come stock with tein coilovers or better =P then what would u do??

Zimp13
03-05-2006, 08:26 PM
maybe cause you had like 4 fat guys in the car and suspension on under more stress then it can handle..

have u driven a ferrari??...maybe they come stock with tein coilovers or better =P then what would u do??

can still change....... oem not height and stiffness adjustable...... hahaha.......

Jus-10
04-05-2006, 09:32 AM

LMAO! I don't need to have driven a Fez to know what parts are on them or what can be done to them - I have spent plenty of time around them to know... I think i would run something a bit better than TEINs in a Fezza anyway.

Anything can be modified/improved!

At least 4 fat dudes won't fit in it to screw up the sussy...

bigdongers
19-05-2006, 12:38 AM
I personally think the pre-face lift models (04 down) have a noticable difference (simular to how you describe the feel) The one thing I notice in particular is the tightness of steering compared to newer model Jazz's. My brother owns an 04' VTi-S and I cant get over the difference of the steering when i come back to my 05' model. I've booked myself a test drive for a new 06' VTi model but my expectations probbably wont be beaten by the already satisfying feel of a face-lift model Jazz.

We have an 03 VTiS and a 05 GLi in the family and the GLi's steering is MUCH MUCH lighter. Its really noticable.

I wonder if the 03 can be adjusted??

Dreams
19-05-2006, 02:04 AM
i thought its only cosmetics differences. and everything else the same.

Jazzle
19-05-2006, 10:54 AM
maybe becoz of the tyres??