PDA

View Full Version : Focal Polyglass 160 V2 $$

funkdr
30-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey peoples,

I have $500 to spend on splits (Polyglass 160 V2) for my 91 ed sedan to complemet my excess sub whats prices have peopel seen for these and yes i dknow its a personal decision but what do u think of them anyone got them i have installed and heard the access 1 splits in Ru$kI's car very impressed.

cheers

arverson
30-04-2006, 10:36 PM
ive heard lots of focal splits in diff cars, but i cant remember which cars had which model - but i know i WASNT disapointd in them tho.

i remember one of my friends set had lots of midbass. had no subby but i still got a 'kick' in the chest, but i think that had more to do with the installation/SD'ing. another set were too 'bright/harsh/ear-piercing' for my liking, but i guess thats where 'personal tastes' come into play.

with $500, if u wanna stick to focal, u could get the 165KF, which retail just a tad over 500, but of course could b haggled for less. just a thought, u dont have to audition these, or others, if ur happy with the 165 v2/v1's.

Fr3aKi3
30-04-2006, 10:39 PM
The 165V2's retail for $419, although i've had a quote of 380 for them. I think the 160V2 retails for the same price. I also liked the sounds that they reproduced.

I had the same budget but decided to increase a bit more (to roughly 600).

My thoughts (on what i've heard):

Boston SL60 (549) - Seemed a bit bright and too in your face.... lol
Boston S60 (349) - as above, slight difference but still preffered the focals.
MB Quart RCE216 Reference - liked this set, nice balance of treble and bass
Rockford Fosgate P162S (599, onsale for 449 ) - sounded way to bright, almost to the point of hurting my ears.... :confused:
Soundstream SST 6.5 (might have been XRC6.5, it was the set that cost 300) - sounded pretty good to me as well, although the $700 set sounded a bit bright.

I've listened to a bunch of other splits as well, but not really happy with any just yet... lol

My pick so far would be either the Focal 165v2 or MB Quart RCE216. But i'm not putting my money down till i've heard a few more sets, namely:

Digital Designs - DDC6.5 and DDW6.5 Set
Morel Elate 6's
Hertz HSK165
Focal 165KF

Those sets range from 360-600

I missed out on the recent FHRX audition day (was stuck in melb for work!), would've been good to attend that and check out all the splits available.

If you've listened to other splits and end up getting the 165V2's, you've still made a pretty good decision :thumbsup:

funkdr
30-04-2006, 10:39 PM
ive heard lots of focal splits in diff cars, but i cant remember which cars had which model - but i know i WASNT disapointd in them tho.

i remember one of my friends set had lots of midbass. had no subby but i still got a 'kick' in the chest, but i think that had more to do with the installation/SD'ing. another set were too 'bright/harsh/ear-piercing' for my liking, but i guess thats where 'personal tastes' come into play.

with $500, if u wanna stick to focal, u could get the 165KF, which retail just a tad over 500, but of course could b haggled for less. just a thought, u dont have to audition these, or others, if ur happy with the 165 v2/v1's.

Well i am not gettign the 165's i am gettign the 160's they are 6inch not 6.5 and i have been quoted $480 for them i thin kthe reatil is about 540 but cant find it on the net.

arverson
30-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Well i am not gettign the 165's i am gettign the 160's they are 6inch not 6.5 and i have been quoted $480 for them i thin kthe reatil is about 540 but cant find it on the net.

ahhh i c. same thing applies tho - if ur happy with em, get em.

$540/480 seem a bit much. 160v2's retail for $419 - as freaki3 said.

__arjay__
12-05-2006, 10:37 PM
I have Focal Polyglass 165 V2's.. are they any different?

Anywho.. i bought them last year sometime.. picked them up brand new for $250-260.. Cant remember

BARGAIN!! They sound great! Not really a huge audio person but i do like a quality sound.

Thats my input. Its not very helpful tho.. haha!

Stoosh
13-05-2006, 10:57 AM
ive got Rockford Fosgate P162S splits, bought em at a lifestyle midnight sale for around$350! never looked back, very pleased and deaf at the same time ;)

Fhrx
14-05-2006, 04:57 PM
I missed out on the recent FHRX audition day (was stuck in melb for work!), would've been good to attend that and check out all the splits available.

There is another audition day coming up in two weeks time champ. :)

Fr3aKi3
14-05-2006, 08:35 PM
There is another audition day coming up in two weeks time champ. :)

sweet..... coinciding with the openning of the new workshop? or is that already happening on a diff day? Actually i'll jump on caa and see if there's any more info there.

Sorry OT!!!

Fhrx
29-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Nah, just for something to do. There will be a few of the demo cars there this saturday. Remember we have quite a bit too look at generally here too. :)

civicCXI
29-05-2006, 09:19 PM
I have Focal Polyglass 165 V2's.. are they any different?

Anywho.. i bought them last year sometime.. picked them up brand new for $250-260.. Cant remember

BARGAIN!! They sound great! Not really a huge audio person but i do like a quality sound.

Thats my input. Its not very helpful tho.. haha!

did u get them from westside car audio in osbi? i was quoted for $250 too but didn't buy it and I'm now wondering if they still sell them for the same price. Some newer civic requires the slim version of these focal