PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Gear Selection problem

sinisterd
01-05-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone here could help me,

I have a intermintent problem where after about 5-10mins of driving the clutch slowly gets closer and closer to the floor, and then pretty much theres no more room to step on and i can't engage in any gears.

I turn my car off and pump the clutch pedal for about 5 mins to get me another 5-10mins of driving, .

Im driving a 98 ek hatch with hydraulic clutch.

Does anyone know what this could be?

help appreciated.

chicken8
01-05-2006, 09:06 AM
possible u need a clutch bleed

maybe theres particles in ur clutch fluid and its become more of a sludge rather than oil

or maybe ur clutch is on its way out. but i'd do a clutch bleed 1st as it only costs $40 to do

EG5[KRT]
01-05-2006, 11:08 AM
mayb u have no clutch fluid left ... or ur fluid is too old and has absorbed alot of air/humidity and is leaving your fluid inoperative.

sinisterd
01-05-2006, 12:40 PM
sweet,

Clutch was replaced not long ago, and i am running a short shifter but i can't see that being the culprit here.

thanks guys for the replys,

Next question but,

Can i bleed the clutch myself? and how much clutch fluid would i need?

regards
D

aaronng
01-05-2006, 01:03 PM
1 bottle is more than enough. You'll need at least 1 more person with you. For the EK, the slave cylinder should be accessible. On mine it was a pain! Luckily I had 2 other people helping me (and doing pretty much all the work). You know who you are. Thanks!

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20212&highlight=clutch+bleed

Benson
01-05-2006, 01:08 PM
clutch bleed is like brake bleed...

first loosen the niple located near the g/b... close it agian..

get one person to pump the cltuch pedal... then hold the pedal, get another person to release the niple... do it unitl there is no more ari bubble... might want to use a cler hose...

also remeber to fill the cltuch fliud container first before doing this...i reckon abt 200ml is more than enuff..

hope that helps

sinisterd
02-05-2006, 12:23 PM
thanks to all you guys for the help!

coudn't find a hose, so i just pulled the one that goes off the radiator to the overfill bottle and used that ;) heheh

cleaned out after with degreaser and water so all good.

thanks again yo!

AsH_
16-05-2006, 06:12 PM
i had that problem, i found it was my clutch master cylinder...
i got 1 from honda $93

Limbo
16-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Does sound like clutch fluid problems, could also be the master clutch/brake cyliner. Check if there is any leaks from the units, that usually the sign.

Generally when they do your clutch they should have bleed your clutch slave.

I did have one problem similar but this would only check this if all else fails.
My clutch plate/pressure plate had a crack and it caused the thing to work and then not work sometimes. The only way to diagnose was to pull the clutch apart. Like i said last thing if you can't fighure it out. I'd take it back to whoever did the change in the first place and get them to fix it anyhow.

AsH_
16-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Does sound like clutch fluid problems, could also be the master clutch/brake cyliner. Check if there is any leaks from the units, that usually the sign.

Generally when they do your clutch they should have bleed your clutch slave.

I did have one problem similar but this would only check this if all else fails.
My clutch plate/pressure plate had a crack and it caused the thing to work and then not work sometimes. The only way to diagnose was to pull the clutch apart. Like i said last thing if you can't fighure it out. I'd take it back to whoever did the change in the first place and get them to fix it anyhow.

i had fluid leaking down my clutch pedal and all on my carpet...