PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issue

Eclipsor
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Over the last few months this has become an issue. The car has become harder to start. First start in the morning works first key turn but it takes longer than it used to and sounds like it's sputtering a little just when it starts. Main problem is later on if I stop for 5 mins then come back to start it. I turn the key and it kicks over and over but won't catch. Until I let it go and try again. This time it starts perfectly.

Sparks and leads are 4 months old, I cleaned the dizzy cap and all the contacts yesterday. The fule pump is priming (or at least sounds like it is).

Could it be the starter motor solonoid like in this thread? http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29403&highlight=start

Or is this only if the starter isn't turning over. Which mine is.

thanks for any tips.

EuroDude
01-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Is it turning slower than normal? or is it just taking longer to start?

If its turning slower then it could be a bad battery or starter motor, otherwise you may just need to clean the throttle body or replace the spark plugs.

Eclipsor
01-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it's turning at normal speed. Just takes more turns to start. Or dosn't start even after 10 or so turns then let the key go and try again and it starts fine.

Battery is fine I think. Reads 12.5V. I cleaned the throttle body and iacv a few months back aswell. The sparks have been in for about 6000k's. I was hoping they'd last at least 10 cuz they are ngk iridiums.

EuroDude
01-05-2006, 02:01 PM
I would check the sparkies anyway, and check the colour of the contacts. They should be a greyish white from what I remember. At the back of the Haynes maintanence manuals they show different colours relevant to possible problems.

Another possibility could be clogged fuel injectors. And you may wanna do a cylinder compression test too incase lost compression is causing hard starting.

And if you have always been using normal unleaded, maybe you should try 95 or 98 octane next fill up, since they contain various additives that may be useful in your case.

Eclipsor
01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions eurodude. This is what the sparks look like:
http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc010432mk.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc010424lk.jpg

Can anyone say whether these would be a factor? I always use bp ultimate. Also, fuel filter was changed at January aswell.

EuroDude
01-05-2006, 04:20 PM
They look brownish in colour and not really in good shape. I would change the sparkies (maybe with genuine honda ones this time) and see how that goes.

aaronng
01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I don't think Honda makes sparkplugs. From the factory, I think they use NGKs or Densos.

EuroDude
01-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeh mine are usually Denso. I meant Honda branded/supplied ones ;)

f3liX
01-05-2006, 04:40 PM
i have the same problem
try turning on and leave it for about 3 seconds before cranking it
might be something with the fuel pump but works everytime for me
good luck

bennjamin
01-05-2006, 05:07 PM
as said honda dosent make sparkplugs - just repackages NGK or similar items in little red boxes. Does it get alittle harder if there is less than say half a tank in the car too ? (and easier/quicker if its a full tank?) Might be fuel pump on its way out.
Or battery is loosing juice slowly...

Eclipsor
01-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I might get some cheap ngk's see if that makes a difference. It dosnt' seem to make a difference how much fuel is in the tank. And yeah i've tried turning it to on and leaving for a few seconds. Next time it happens I'll check the battery see if it's not charging for some reason.

aaronng
01-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Your NGK iridiums are meant to last 100,000 kms on a car running with normal A/F ratio. Your pics of your black plugs show that it is running rich. If you find that your starting is good again with new cheap NGKs, then check out your A/F ratio and see if it is too rich.

dsp26
02-05-2006, 09:48 AM
you guys forgot fuel filter.

RMN15N
04-05-2006, 01:54 AM
If it doesn't crank at all, check the battery, if the battery isn't dead and the connections are clean and tight, there is a problem with the starter circuit. Try again, if it still doesn't crank, or even click, there may be a problem with the ignition switch, starter solenoid, starter, neutral safety switch, or the clutch safety switch.

Check for spark- pull a spark plug wire loose from a spark plug and get an assistant to hold it while you crank the engine. If he yells and jumps back, a good spark is present. (Just kidding, this is probably not a good way to check for spark, a better way is to pull the wire off of the plug, stick a screwdriver into the end and, while holding the plastic handle, move the screwdriver so that the metal part is close to a piece of bare metal on the engine. Then get someone to crank the engine. If there is good spark you should see a spark jump from the driver to the metal. If not, try nospark. It should be able to jump a gap of almost 1/4 inch.) If it makes a good spark and you can hear a "snapping" sound, the ignition system is probably OK, replace the wire and Check for fuel TO the engine.