PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic Coupe VTIR vs Madza 3

Anthony38
28-04-2004, 03:31 PM
My friend believe that his new madza 3 will beat my coupe??

Is this true? Hes is semi-automatics. Its not a SP 23 i dont think. I think he metion its was the second from the top of the range.

:)

fueltank
28-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Manxx Sports?
I can't see it beating the VTi-R

SiR
28-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Nah, no way mate. The VTi-R shouldn't have troubles against a SP23 for that matter.

But there's only one way of finding out and that's for you to race your mate in his Mazda 3 :D

A'PEXi
28-04-2004, 04:55 PM
im with mr e

genesis
28-04-2004, 05:00 PM
the mazda has no chance, trust me :P

MTX BOY
28-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Honda 1 Mazda 0

wynode
28-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Race him and find out Anthony38 (on a private road of course!)

vti-2
28-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Race him and find out Anthony38 (on a private road of course!)

I was about to say... there's only one way to find out. ;)

madgrk
28-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Its funny how some people say "The civic will beat it". On paper yeah possibly, but how do you know any of these two can drive? Obviously Anthony is asking which car would beat the other on paper, but if he can't drive then it wouldnt take a lot to beat the VTiR. Obviously Jon knows this since he has a GSi and is beating VTiRs.

Basically what I am getting at is, it depends on the driver mate, and how quickly you can swap the cogs while keeping the revs up in your power band :D

SIKCVC
28-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Woops i was thinking of the mazda 2 :P my bad... yeah depending on how good the Mazda's gear box is and how it puts the power down (can't be that great since its auto) then i'd say it'd be a drivers race.

madgrk
28-04-2004, 06:43 PM
All Mazda 3's have 104@6500 RPM whilst the SP3 has 115@6500 RPM

Torque is 181@4500 RPM and 203@4500 RPM respectively also

SIKCVC
28-04-2004, 06:53 PM
fair bit more torque than the VtiR though. It'd be enough torque to launch the mazda 3 harder but its not exactly a light car.

I'd think that a half decent Manual driver in the VtiR would beat a Mazda 3 auto.

Could be fairly close though...

When you drag him just launch it in revs anything above 3000... because he wont be able to sit there with his foot on the break above 3000, his box just wont let him do it.

wynode
28-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Might wanna buy the car first ;)

fried
28-04-2004, 08:34 PM
in regards to manual vs auto....

i SLAMMED, i mean ABSOLUTELY DISGRACED a friends BAfalcon XR8 UTILITY... it was automatic transmission. i won in EVERY gear... i was shocked.

so what does that mean in terms of the em1 (which is man of course) vs the semi-auto 3????~

Anthony38
28-04-2004, 08:42 PM
yeah I think I will do that. Race on him a private road some where. Getting quite sick of him raving about how great his car is. :D

I'll let you guys know

mo
28-04-2004, 09:03 PM

i SLAMMED, i mean ABSOLUTELY DISGRACED a friends BAfalcon XR8 UTILITY... it was automatic transmission. i won in EVERY gear... i was shocked.

so what does that mean in terms of the em1 (which is man of course) vs the semi-auto 3????~

maybe your friend cant drive? :D

SIKCVC
28-04-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm suprised you beet him in first... my friends VR beats most manuals in first purly because of the low ratios required in manuals... Maybe I'm gonna be the first to beat him :P YeY High Red Line YeY :D

ginganggooly
28-04-2004, 10:06 PM
how canyou not drive an auto? :P

don't forget he had 200kg's of sand bags in the back... take the sand bags out and it'd be a different story i reckon.

SIKCVC
28-04-2004, 10:09 PM
maybe it was set up for drift :P or the tacho wasn't working properly HAHAHA... need any other excuses?

mo
28-04-2004, 11:03 PM
how canyou not drive an auto? :P

don't forget he had 200kg's of sand bags in the back... take the sand bags out and it'd be a different story i reckon.

hahah was that you?? :P

Kit
28-04-2004, 11:33 PM
but what do you mean by beat? in a straight line?

fueltank
29-04-2004, 09:21 AM
yeah and I got beat by Benjamin too!

crx2gen
29-04-2004, 11:14 AM
the 2.0l Mazda 3 isn't quick as far as I'm concerned, my mates 5 spd is a fair bit behind my stock d16a8 CRX. Even if its an SP23, I can't see the civic losing on paper. So all the pressure is on you :D

CIVIC-R
29-04-2004, 01:06 PM
hahahaha funny this topic has come up... cause i raced a sedan SP3 last night, and he also raced my friends 2000 model Celica VVTLI...

i was actually very surprised how quick they are! i beat him by about 4 car lengths... but he beat my friends Celica by a car and a half, and when they raced rolling they were bonnet to bonnet.... they both only have full exhaust.

but on paper the Celica should flog it... i was shocked. 141 Kws and a lighter car Vs 115 heavier car... Celica does a quicker 0 - 100 time on paper.

but when you think about it the celica being 1.8 only has 180 Nm of torque against 2.3L - 203 nm. so he just pulls away from 0 - 100. and stays 1 and a half cars in front.

and before you say something must be wrong with the celica or the driver... i was in his car last week, when he beat my friends Civic VTIR coupe...

so anyways - i will nearly guarantee you that a SP3 will beat a CIVC coupe VTIR.

Kit
29-04-2004, 04:47 PM
I dunno guys.......... traffic light grand prixs really have no merits to claim which car is faster.

What determines a car is faster? if you're racing to 60kmh, the car with the higher torque wins. if you're racing to 160kmh then the car with more power wins.

theres too many variables like launch technique, and even if you were doing a rolling start, not everyone shifts gears very fast.

not to mention that there are so many cars on the street in a poor state of tune thats its not funny.

I would say the Mazda sp23 is a fast car, the B16A civic is a fast car, and so is the celica. But can't really say which is faster by racing on the street.

e.g. In my younger days, a stock hyundai excel lined me up at the traffic lights in my EK4. He actually beat me to 80kmh easily, by which time he was too far ahead to catch up without going to crazy speeds.

CIVIC-R
29-04-2004, 04:59 PM
yeah but they werent traffic light grand pixes... we went bush out to where we have a marked out quater mile...

the celica got serviced by toyota a couple of days before the race... and they raced like 5 times... same result every time!!! so either the drivers are consistently the same or the cars are...

CIVIC-R
29-04-2004, 05:03 PM
e.g. In my younger days, a stock hyundai excel lined me up at the traffic lights in my EK4. He actually beat me to 80kmh easily, by which time he was too far ahead to catch up without going to crazy speeds.

oh and if i was you! i would of hoped that noone witnessed the losing of a race against an excel! 8) and i wouldnt of told noone bout it.. hahahaha :P

madgrk
29-04-2004, 05:06 PM

Hmm an XR8 ute is very quick. None the less, nice win :thumbsup: Give me the ute and I will go ya :D

Kit
29-04-2004, 05:24 PM

oh and if i was you! i would of hoped that noone witnessed the losing of a race against an excel! 8) and i wouldnt of told noone bout it.. hahahaha :P

it was to prove that traffic light grand prix mean absolutely nothing.

He launched, I didn't. He probably floored it, I didn't.
Next day he was probably on a Hyundai Excel forum bragging about how he "ate" a civic VTi-R.... get my point?

do i know what my car does 0-100? nope
do i really care? nope.

Real racing involves corners :D
In circuit racing, you only ever need to accelerate from a standing start once. :)

being serviced by Toyota doesnt mean a car is in a good state of tune. In fact, taking your car to the factory servicing for its "regular" servicing at the "regular" 10,000km intervals is an excellent way to ensure your car is in a poor state of tune.

Did you also know that straight from the factory, the Civic EK4 (and probably all DOHC VTECs) ran retarded timing? and also there is no tuning (that is adjustment of the ignition timing) till the 20,000km service?

Kit
29-04-2004, 05:31 PM
yeah but they werent traffic light grand pixes... we went bush out to where we have a marked out quater mile...

the celica got serviced by toyota a couple of days before the race... and they raced like 5 times... same result every time!!! so either the drivers are consistently the same or the cars are...

Also in my younger days I went to a desserted road and ran my friend.
My Civic VTi-R HB vs his Civic VTi-R Coupe.
From memory (it was a long time ago) I had a pod filter and so did he.

I ran him twice and we hit speeds of over 100km/h... I beat him twice by about 3 car lengths.
we were both flooring it and both shifting at redline.

Once again, what does this race prove? not a whole lot really.

fueltank
29-04-2004, 05:40 PM
In circuit racing, you only ever need to accelerate from a standing start once. :)

and that can make or break you in the whole race in regards to a podium finish.

VTEC16
29-04-2004, 06:25 PM
The mazda 3 is slow :P .....my gf's sister has one...

CIVIC-R
29-04-2004, 06:55 PM

Also in my younger days I went to a desserted road and ran my friend.
My Civic VTi-R HB vs his Civic VTi-R Coupe.
From memory (it was a long time ago) I had a pod filter and so did he.

I ran him twice and we hit speeds of over 100km/h... I beat him twice by about 3 car lengths.
we were both flooring it and both shifting at redline.

Once again, what does this race prove? not a whole lot really.

Are You for Real??? what does any race around the world prove then huh??... It defines a winner and a loser between all parties trying their hardest!!! In short - just on your race, it proves that the combination of you as a driver and your car is Faster then the combination between your freinds car and the driver... thats wat it proves.

and if you didnt think the race would prove anything, then why would you race??? ppl jus dont do things like that for NO REASON!!!!!

VTEC16
29-04-2004, 06:59 PM
...you said it = it doesnt prove anything :P

Kit
29-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Are You for Real??? what does any race around the world prove then huh??... It defines a winner and a loser between all parties trying their hardest!!! In short - just on your race, it proves that the combination of you as a driver and your car is Faster then the combination between your freinds car and the driver... thats wat it proves.

and if you didnt think the race would prove anything, then why would you race??? ppl jus dont do things like that for NO REASON!!!!!

Yep, hehehe, and I also said "in my younger years" :)
we ran for a bit of fun, not to prove who is better or anything like that.

nah, but seriously, all I'm trying to say is: just cos xx beats yy in a street drag, or a series of street drag races in the same tune, it doesnt mean that xx is a faster car.
especially when we are talking relatively small differences in power and torque and also the large variances in states of tune in (even bog stock) street cars.

hehehe but if you were talking about a 1.0L charade losing to a Ferarri 360, then I think you can safely say the ferarri is a faster car :D

its like that race described earlier about the integra (?) vs the XR8 ute.
my friend with a 200rwkw s15 races a stock VY SS commodore in a traffic light grand prix and lost. Its just really hard to say which car is actually the "Faster" car.

anyway I wasn't trying to be rude to ya 8) just trying to say you cant rely on street drags to determine if a car actually is ultimately "a faster car" or not.

CIVIC-R
30-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Yep, hehehe, and I also said "in my younger years" :)
we ran for a bit of fun, not to prove who is better or anything like that.

nah, but seriously, all I'm trying to say is: just cos xx beats yy in a street drag, or a series of street drag races in the same tune, it doesnt mean that xx is a faster car.
especially when we are talking relatively small differences in power and torque and also the large variances in states of tune in (even bog stock) street cars.

hehehe but if you were talking about a 1.0L charade losing to a Ferarri 360, then I think you can safely say the ferarri is a faster car :D

its like that race described earlier about the integra (?) vs the XR8 ute.
my friend with a 200rwkw s15 races a stock VY SS commodore in a traffic light grand prix and lost. Its just really hard to say which car is actually the "Faster" car.

anyway I wasn't trying to be rude to ya 8) just trying to say you cant rely on street drags to determine if a car actually is ultimately "a faster car" or not.

yeah fair enough. i understand where your coming from... but then looking at it from ur pespective, i dont see the point in threads like this Civic vs Mazda 3 etc. no harm taken, i wasnt tryin to be rude either :)

A'PEXi
01-05-2004, 01:47 PM
what do you drive civic r? ctr ??

Civic Type R
01-05-2004, 02:09 PM
My friend believe that his new madza 3 will beat my coupe??

Is this true? Hes is semi-automatics. Its not a SP 23 i dont think. I think he metion its was the second from the top of the range.

umm i believe it will.
My best mates girl has one and it fukn flies.
if you dont launch the civic properly then you wont catch it.
I raced one last night and believe me - i was getting a little embarrased :|

CIVIC-R
01-05-2004, 04:51 PM
umm i believe it will.
My best mates girl has one and it fukn flies.
if you dont launch the civic properly then you wont catch it.
I raced one last night and believe me - i was getting a little embarrased :|[/quote]

im telling you they are pretty quick... i drive a civic Ek with the B18C/B16a hybrid in it. goes alright

Civic Type R
03-05-2004, 12:24 PM
i stuffed up the start by spinning the tyres for too long and i never pegged the Mazda back. Later in the night we both dropped it at 100. Unfortunately i was just out of VTEC and i didnt catch up until we were into the 200's