PDA

View Full Version : r YOUR mods LEGAL? vicroads linky

Taxi-R
01-05-2006, 11:35 PM
ok, now that i worked out that AAMI allows OVER 25s to have as many mods as i want (as long as they r legal according to vicroads), i went to the vicroads site to look up what's legal. i have come across this link which has Vehicle Standards Information sheets on various "mods" which seem quite useful.

VicRoads Standards Info sheets (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrne5nav.nsf/childdocs/-D6B2343989C152A5CA256FD300241C34-EEC8092FE0E5478FCA256FD300241C39?open)

I have found that Civics cannot upgrade to 17's (well at least not 17x7).

"The width of any replacement rim must not be more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series..."
and
"The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be more than 15mm greater than largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series..."

marte
01-05-2006, 11:40 PM
with all cars your allowed two sizes up from stock size. depending on your car, Eg's come with 14's stock so 2 up is 16

panda[cRx]
02-05-2006, 12:16 AM
with all cars your allowed two sizes up from stock size. depending on your car, Eg's come with 14's stock so 2 up is 16

sorry dude but you obviously didnt read anything in that post

"The width of any replacement rim must not be more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series..."

and

"The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be more than 15mm greater than largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series..."

this means you can have larger rims with low profile tires. the only people that mention like "can only have 2 inches up from stock" is ignorant cops and insurance companies. what insurance companies will cover and what is roadworthy are 2 seperate things in some cases

z3lda
02-05-2006, 09:33 AM
meh...my old car was throughly inspected to get registered and it had 17" where the original rims were 14"

Zdster
02-05-2006, 10:14 AM
"specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series"

The ek coupes came with a 6" wide rim. After calling Honda Australia, I was informed that they consider the coupe to be part of the same vehicle series - therefore a 7" wide rim is legal.

Taxi-R
03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
"specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series"

The ek coupes came with a 6" wide rim. After calling Honda Australia, I was informed that they consider the coupe to be part of the same vehicle series - therefore a 7" wide rim is legal.
i'm quite sure the EM1 came with a rim width of 5.5". i remember the numbers 15x5.5JJ or 15x5.0JJ when i was reading the spec sheet when i was buying mine back in 99 and thinking 'what the hell does 5.5JJ mean???"

Zdster
03-05-2006, 07:58 PM
LOL.

Scroll down in the link 15x6".
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.research_specs?vehicle_code=19990316.1 4:51:59&sort_type=&current_rec=1&make_name=HONDA&model_name=CIVIC&body_name=Coupe

FastFwd
04-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm to to sure if this applies for WA roads to but we arn't alowed anything larger than two sizes width or height. i have 18's by 7.5 with 215x35 tyres on my 93 civic hatch and after alot of times getting yellow stickered, 12 times in one yr actually i asked why i couldnt get a permit for my 18's at the pitts and the inspector said i dont see why you couldnt. soo that day i got permits and ever since ive showed the permits to the 'five ohh' and they've left me alone

crx_boy7
13-05-2006, 10:01 PM
actually have to be realy carefull as the guys at the rta and the cops on the road both have absolutely no clue to what there duing
iv had a friend defected for having 16" wheels on a commo they where standard width.
and stock there like 15", the tyres where about the same size but the defect stated the rims where too large
the diameter of most stock tegs,civics, is 14" where u can fit a 17"low profile tyre and not increse the actual diameter, and im shure u can find extreme profiles that will fit 18"s with standard wheel diameter
did u know that if u have a shopping trolley dent or a similar small dent in ur car those morons regard it as a dangerous stuctural comprimise and can be tiketed with a fine and 2 points of ur lisence
or an aftermarket exhaust tip(if not exactly as standard, ie 1cm larger)
or some rust even small like 1cm of rust can become an expensive fine
the stupidity continues to the engine bay with defects being given for empty wiper washer fluid bottles and coloured hoses

btw dont tell me that these defects arent given out as iv had most of these stupid things on my car and had to go through all sorts of time waisting proceedures that cost me a few hundred

yes alow me to be the first to say it - cops are ruthless F@gs and should be FIRED