PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a Flywheel

macoman69
02-05-2006, 12:09 AM
After going through many of the "bang for your buck" sticky's it is pretty safe to say that the lightened flywheel can do wonders for your car. Though i wasnt able to find out why its such a good modification. So i thought i might do some research and post up for people to read up on.

The flywheel is one of the essential cogs in the machinery that makes up the drivetrain. It attaches directly to the crankshaft and provides the first link in the chain that allows the engine to deliver power down to the ground.

Now that it's been established that the flywheel is a good thing, whats so special about a LIGHTENED flywheel? (read below to find out)

Rotation - A heavier flywheel will always require more effort to 'spool' up. Its the same principle as wheels, lighter wheels are easier to turn than heavier ones. Thats why you get them, right? The advantage is predictable - lightened flywheels allow for quicker revs in less time.

(Remember the flywheel is not a power enhancer in that it does not actually add horsepower to your engine in the way turbo's, etc, do. It just changes how existing power is delivered).

Whatever the result of the installation of a lightened flywheel it is usually very impressive and very noticeable.

Hope this helps

Regards :) :honda:

panda[cRx]
02-05-2006, 12:13 AM
good post young noob, may the force be with you :)

Menthu Rae
02-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Keep in mind that a lightened flywheel may decrease the driveability up steep hills - as you'll have to rev it up more to maintain speed.

This is due to the lower inertia of the lightened flywheel - it slows down quicker (the downside to accelerating quicker, hehe)

macoman69
02-05-2006, 10:24 AM
If you liked my review

pls vote for me THX :D

Felix
02-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Good right up. I voted.

Slow96GSR
02-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Keep in mind that a lightened flywheel may decrease the driveability up steep hills - as you'll have to rev it up more to maintain speed.

This is due to the lower inertia of the lightened flywheel - it slows down quicker (the downside to accelerating quicker, hehe)

Hit the nail right on the head! Yes the flywheel lets you rev up faster but it also wants to slow down faster too. The stock B18C f.w. is appx 19 pounds, a lightweight Chromoly one is 12-13 pounds, a aluminum f.w. is 8-12 pounds. My advice for a street car and even for a race car is to go with a Chromoly f.w., they are also a little stronger and provide a more stable platform for a race motor. The revs get up fast and stay up more when shifting, but come down a little faster too, not as fast as the real lightweight ones though.

Zdster
02-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Good post. This is a bit more technical than introductory though, so I will move it to another part of the forum. Please contact me if you dont agree.

macoman69
02-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Its all good :D