PDA

View Full Version : difference between zc and d16a8 when s/c

crx51
02-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Hi all, i know 'not another supercharging post', and im sure people are wanting to say search when they just saw zc and d16 in same sentence. Im not after the little things i know they are incredibly similar. Basically what draws me to ask is that on ebay US atm there are two superchargers by jackson racing for sale. One is for a sohc d series and i was confused when i read this-
Q: Hi, is that a complete kit? I notice that the 92-95 Civic kit and the ZC kit have the same part number, do u know if it will fit my ZC?
Apr-26-06
A: Yes it is a complete kit. Its bolt on. But it will not fit a ZC. The bolt pattern on the intake is completely different.

Q: i have a crx with a d16y8 motor, will this supercharger fit on it.....if so, i have stock pistons will i have to change them....please get back to me
Apr-26-06
A: This supercharger will fit all D series motors. I ran it on my stock motor for about 3 months with no problems. 10psi is the max boost I would push on.

So question is, is this guy right or is he trying to just palm it off? They attach at the intake manifold so does it sound right that it would fit all d series including my d16a8?? If it does then i would like to know why it wouldnt fit a zc as he has stated? Are they different at all at the manifold or anything??

There is also a zc kit for sale, would this fit my engine? Its a new one so if it would fit id be interested. If someone can offer definite's id be very keen to hear. Thanks again all on ozhonda :thumbsup:

nedgeworth
02-05-2006, 08:01 AM
There is a sohc (d16z6) which some people like to refer to as a ZC. I have a feeling this might be the case.

saxman
02-05-2006, 09:38 AM
the z6 is a completely different engine from the zc... the A8, however, I have seen referred to as the zc pnety of times before. The z6 and the y8 are both very similar motors, and most things designed for a 92-95 civic will fit them.

the zc also came in a dohc and sohc variety, with the dohc, the head is very very different from the sohcs, which is where this issue comes into play.

nedgeworth
02-05-2006, 02:28 PM
the z6 is a completely different engine from the zc... the A8, however, I have seen referred to as the zc pnety of times before. The z6 and the y8 are both very similar motors, and most things designed for a 92-95 civic will fit them.

the zc also came in a dohc and sohc variety, with the dohc, the head is very very different from the sohcs, which is where this issue comes into play.

You are correct they did also come as a sohc somewhere around the 110hp mark.

However a lot of people over your side of the world tend to refer to the z6 mistakenly as a ZC.

D16a8 is just the Aus deliveried version of the ZC.

SINISTR
02-05-2006, 02:51 PM
CRX51: you're not going to have an easy time finding a supercharger for a ZC - they were made in limited numbers by Jacksons Racing and are now very hard to find. Not only that but some Superchargers were made for the ZC but in the Gen1 - like the HKS S?C Ive got for the gen1.

Superchargers for B16As and B18Cs are alot easier to find - however thats only an option if you're going to do an engine swap.

D16 SOHC and ZC DOHC intakes are different, thats one thing but also the Exhaust side is different - so be careful when getting a D series exhaust (extractor manifold) as well - making sure its for a DOHC not a SOHC.

Weq
02-05-2006, 04:45 PM
whats all this talk of stud patterns being different??

SINISTR
02-05-2006, 04:58 PM
not the stud patterns - the actual flanges are different.

Weq
02-05-2006, 06:07 PM
flanges?? what is a flange without a stud pattern. I know the exhaust flanges are exactly the same as any other d-series, and i will assume the intake's are until i get proof they arnt!

ALso note there are 2 types of ZC/A8 ODb1 and 0. the 0 is referred to as a ZC IMO.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1425100
http://www.thezcr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11992

SINISTR
02-05-2006, 06:15 PM
flanges?? what is a flange without a stud pattern. I know the exhaust flanges are exactly the same as any other d-series, and i will assume the intake's are until i get proof they arnt!

ALso note there are 2 types of ZC/A8 ODb1 and 0. the 0 is referred to as a ZC IMO.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1425100
http://www.thezcr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11992

there are differences in the flanges, bolt positions and length of the piping as well (downpipe) - SOHC won't fit onto a DOHC and vice versa - its been done and its been proved.

OBD0 is 87/88-91 - I know that for a fact. OBD1 is possibly the newer EG shape Civic with a ZC - an inbetween model ZC and B16A - using a B16A OBD1 type dissy etc.

But whats that got to do with anything?

saxman
03-05-2006, 06:47 AM
However a lot of people over your side of the world tend to refer to the z6 mistakenly as a ZC.
I have never ever seen the z6 called the zc over here :confused:

SINISTR
03-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I have never ever seen the z6 called the zc over here :confused:

I have on Honda-Tech plenty of times ad well as some books too.

Also been told there that my D16A8 cant be a DOHC LOL - its gotta be a SOHC...