PDA

View Full Version : Which Motor? etc.

CAT_SPEW
23-09-2003, 06:14 PM
I currently have a 1992 EG honda Civic Hatch GL and I'm thinking about changing the engine sometime in the future.
I'm not completly sure on what I should go for or what each engines specification is.

I'm thinking something like a B16B (rare?), B16A, B18C(got no idea on)
I'm in Brisbane so if anyone knows a good, cheap, reliable place to get a front cut from then please post.

I will most probably be doing most of the mechanical work with my dad who is a mechanic at home. But can anyone tell me basically what is involved in it? Is it a straight pull out, put in job? Or more technical?

And if anyone has had one of hese conversions or has any info on these engines can you please fill me in.
Thnx.

Teggy-Vtir
23-09-2003, 08:06 PM
hehe go for the b18c motor =)

Jnr Teggy
23-09-2003, 08:26 PM
B20Crvtec

Setanta
23-09-2003, 09:52 PM
B18C or CrVTEC would be my choice.

B16B will cost way too much

vti-2
23-09-2003, 09:52 PM
The most important question to ask before you make any decisions or buy anything is what do you want from the engine?

If you can answer that question here then i'm sure you will get a lot of good technical advise that will be handy. You have a lot of options with the EG. You could go a B16A, B18C, B20 conversion or even a H22A. There are endless options.

So...

What do you want to achieve and do you want to keep it N/A?

CAT_SPEW
23-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Ok, what I want from the engine is this:

1. I want alot more power than the engine that is currently in the car, preferably DOHC VTEC or something similar

2. It has to be N/A as I am not allowed a turbo/supercharged car (parents) yet..

3. My budget for the front cut alone will be roughly $2500, but if more is needed then I am prepared to wait and save.

4. I would like it to be able to keep up, if not beat other cars similar to it(not that I will be racing anyone :) ) ie. pulsars, corollas( SX, GTI ) etc.

5. I do not want to increase the overall weight of the car by too much, and I do not want my handling affected by the engine. (I have heard that the H22A may do this)

And also, if you list a possible engine, could you please list what the engine is exactly, where it comes from etc.

Thankyou.

ALLMTR
23-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Steer clear of Frank (CRVTEC/LSVTEC) motors unless you know what your doing and can do a LOT of it yourself. I'd go B16a if I was u

vti-2
23-09-2003, 10:21 PM
From what you've said stick to the B16A. It's an awesome engine, very versatile and there are a lot of parts available (huge aftermarket range also).

With that budget it will cover the half-cut and even the labour for doing the swap. Later as you save more you can start to do mods such as I/H/E, CAMS, bigger throttle body, ECU etc etc.

For now though, i'd go for the B16A. Any of the other engines will cost more and parts will be harder to source. Also, you will have to worry about making custom engine mounts if you go a H22 for example.

The best thing is if you drop a B16A in the EG, you will easily beat all the cars you mentioned and that's without mods! :mrgreen:

A'PEXi
23-09-2003, 10:55 PM
b16, b18, b20 are all good options... b16 would probarbly be easy to source, as is the h22... b16b would definatly be the hardest to source and the price would be pretty high..

try asian autospares, 198 kingston rd slacks creek, (07) 32080133.... they advertise b16a's for 2000 and h22a's for 2500... most companies will fit them for about the price of 2000-2500 so about 5 grand all up...

the h22 will be fairly large and you wont have much room left in the engine bay, also a quite heavy engine so you may need a different suspension setup at the front to support it... definatly easier to go b16

Weq
24-09-2003, 01:47 AM
Why not b18c1 ?
It would be the only swap id contemplate going into my EG.

toE
24-09-2003, 02:51 AM
:oops: but where is the b18c1 engine from?? or b16a/b for that matter?? :oops:

Weq
24-09-2003, 03:39 AM
b18c1 = dc2 integra type-r's
u could also go for a vtir motor, dunno the exact code, probably b18c5 or something.

SLAVE
24-09-2003, 07:33 AM
Yah, B16B is from CTR's. And you'd be looking at $5000 at least just for parts there.....

[G]
24-09-2003, 02:34 PM
u could also go for a vtir motor, dunno the exact code, probably b18c5 or something.

Um wrong man...b18c1/2 are from integra vtirs

The type R motors are b18c5,c6,c7 depending on if there aus spec, US spec or euro. Im pretty sure the JDM type Rs are coded just B18C

All depends on how much u got to spend mate. B16as can be sourced fairly easy and go for 2000 from that place in QLD, auto asian spares or something. The b18cs are a fair bit harder to find and usually go for around 3000-3500 or so. The type R motors go from anything from 4000 (have seen one once but never again) to 7500 for a front cut.

CAT_SPEW
24-09-2003, 03:40 PM
It seems as though the B16a is the most reasonable choice for me. But what sort of power will I be looking at? 118KW? to what my car is ATM?????

And the B16A is the DOHC VTEC right? Is it overall worth getting it, or can you not notice much different?

[G]
24-09-2003, 06:26 PM
just put a b16a into my 2nd gen, i dont know what engine u have in your eg.. It was an alright upgrade for me as i went from 130 hp - 160hp..Yes the b16a is dohc vtec.

CAT_SPEW
24-09-2003, 09:18 PM
I think I have the SOHC Non-VTEC motor 1.5 litre dual-carby. Not sure on the power output.
What was your engine to start with?

Jnr Teggy
24-09-2003, 11:47 PM
whats your budget 'cat spew'?

[G]
25-09-2003, 01:43 AM
my engine was a d16a8..think urs would be around if not under 100hp
if thats so ull be able to tell a big difference if u goto a b16a.

CAT_SPEW
25-09-2003, 10:49 AM
whats your budget 'cat spew'?

My budget will be around $1500 to $2500, but I am prepared to save more if needed.

Aww ok, thnx for that [G] :)

CAT_SPEW
25-09-2003, 03:04 PM
I just got a price of about $1700 roughly for that engine, but they currently have no stock. But told me to ring back every few weeks to check.
i was also told that the B16B would not fit into my civic??? Something about the manifold being to big..?

Setanta
25-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Make sure you get an EG6 front cut as the EF8/9 and XSi cuts are all cable tranny - you run hydro.

You will notice a nice difference - but will also need to order in engine mounts from the US - about 600 bucks+ I think.

Setanta
25-09-2003, 04:12 PM
i was also told that the B16B would not fit into my civic??? Something about the manifold being to big..?

Ummm - people fit H22As from 'ludes in EGs, somehow I don't know that a B16B is bigger.

I'd be holding onto a complete budget of 5 grand if I were you - especially as an EG6 cut can be 2.5K and up. That should cover an exhaust, electrician's costs, fluids and installation plus any problems etc

SLAVE
25-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Yeah the B16B is the same as the B16A in terms of manifolds.

CAT_SPEW
25-09-2003, 11:18 PM

Ummm - people fit H22As from 'ludes in EGs, somehow I don't know that a B16B is bigger.

I'd be holding onto a complete budget of 5 grand if I were you - especially as an EG6 cut can be 2.5K and up. That should cover an exhaust, electrician's costs, fluids and installation plus any problems etc

Would I be able to use the current exhaust that I have? It is 2.25 inch I think, not sure on the other details. I will be doing the installlation with my dad who is a mechanic and would be getting the electrical stuff done by a friend who is an electrician for a good price.

How come I need engine mounts from the US??? Is that for all of the engines listed, or just one in particualr?

And it looks like I'll be leaning towards the B16A, alot more information on it which will help me out a bit. And easier to source parts from what I have heared.

A'PEXi
25-09-2003, 11:34 PM
not sure where your going to get the b18 from... the c5,6,7 etc are USDM only.. asian spec itr's are named b18c

Setanta
26-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Would I be able to use the current exhaust that I have? It is 2.25 inch I think, not sure on the other details. I will be doing the installlation with my dad who is a mechanic and would be getting the electrical stuff done by a friend who is an electrician for a good price.

How come I need engine mounts from the US??? Is that for all of the engines listed, or just one in particualr?

And it looks like I'll be leaning towards the B16A, alot more information on it which will help me out a bit. And easier to source parts from what I have heared.

You can use most of the exhaust, but if you have a non-factory header you cant use that. If you are dropping a "B" series engine in, you MUST use the US manufactured mounts as you have a "D" series engine in your car and the mounting points and sizes are different. The donor car is a different beast and fully re-engineered firewall forward from what you have. Both Place Racing and Hasport make the mounts - the Hasport are better from what people say (I think they do all four mounts not just three.

When you get the cut, make sure you have everything including the front brakes which you'll need to upgrade as well as the brake booster, gearbox, ECU, driveshafts etc because none of the equipment in your bay will be any good.

I think I have the SOHC Non-VTEC motor 1.5 litre dual-carby.

Did this motor come out in the EG? I was sure it was only the ED/EF. Which do you have? It's rated at 100ps (about 97-98 bhp)

[G]
26-09-2003, 12:09 PM
HA sport make good mounts but only use three..there is no front engine mount well for the ED crxs neways..Im sure if u buy an EG front cut u wont need engine mounts as you can use these. I know beng on these forums dropped a b16a into his EG and im pretty sure he ddint purchase a mount kit..I reckon PM him and he'll let u know how to do it.

G

CAT_SPEW
26-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Damn, so another $600 on top of the cost of the front cut? Is their a place in brisbane that would sell them?

I'm pretty sure that is what the engine is, but I'll go check in a min to be sure.

Setanta
26-09-2003, 03:43 PM
]HA sport make good mounts but only use three..there is no front engine mount well for the ED crxs neways..Im sure if u buy an EG front cut u wont need engine mounts as you can use these. I know beng on these forums dropped a b16a into his EG and im pretty sure he ddint purchase a mount kit..I reckon PM him and he'll let u know how to do it.

G

The point is that the EF8/9 and EG6 do run 4 mounts. I do remember this being a bone of contention by guys on the 4th gen forums over which are better - both are harsh as they are solid mounts :?

Options are either custom mounts or cut and shut the EG6 doner mounts. But if you are going from a D15 to a B16 surely it's the same situation as the ED and you need the customs? I'd avoid the cut and shut idea as if the EG6 is the same as the EF9, the subframes and engine-bay layout is different to it's Aussie counterpart.

CAT_SPEW
26-09-2003, 07:11 PM
]HA sport make good mounts but only use three..there is no front engine mount well for the ED crxs neways..Im sure if u buy an EG front cut u wont need engine mounts as you can use these. I know beng on these forums dropped a b16a into his EG and im pretty sure he ddint purchase a mount kit..I reckon PM him and he'll let u know how to do it.

G

Do you know his nick by any chance?

sentanta: Thnx for that, I'm gonna try and get into touch with someone local who has doen the conversion and see what they have to say. Whether or not I will need the custom mounts etc.
Thnx.

[G]
27-09-2003, 01:10 PM
setanta: yer im using the 3 mounts on my ED no problems..

The mounts from an EG front cut will work fine if the engine is going into another EG. No need for new mounts.

His nick is BENG BEAR..i told him about this thread..hell prolly post

Cheers
G

bengbear
27-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Just use the EG6 mounts that u get with the front cut. They will fit fine.
There are 5 mounts in total..2 x front right, 2 x front left, and 1xrear mount.

CAT_SPEW
27-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Awesome, saves me having to buy the custom ones.
And also, which engine is the B16A out of? VTIR something????

wynode
27-09-2003, 07:24 PM
In Australia, its either the Civic VTi-r or CRX

Setanta
27-09-2003, 11:33 PM
3rd-gen CRX (Del Sol) ;) Also the JDM Integra XSi, EF8/EF9/EE8/EE9 JDM and Euro Civics and CRXs and the Del Slow - but the one you want is the 170 bhp unit from the JDM EG6 SiR, not the 160/150bhp varients :)

bengbear
28-09-2003, 12:15 AM
Just get some DC integra mounts from the GSi, VTiR or Type R
They'll work too.

Im using integra type R ones...dunno if they make a difference, but it gives me a bigger head :wink:

CAT_SPEW
28-09-2003, 06:05 PM
3rd-gen CRX (Del Sol) ;) Also the JDM Integra XSi, EF8/EF9/EE8/EE9 JDM and Euro Civics and CRXs and the Del Slow - but the one you want is the 170 bhp unit from the JDM EG6 SiR, not the 160/150bhp varients :)

What sort of price are the JDM EG6 SiR engines???? I'm assuming that they would be pretty high?

And when I ring up an import shop which I will buy the engine from, what EXACT engine will I be asking for? Because I don't want to end up with something that I don't want.

CAT_SPEW
28-09-2003, 06:06 PM

What sort of price are the JDM EG6 SiR engines???? I'm assuming that they would be pretty high?

And when I ring up an import shop which I will buy the engine from, what EXACT engine will I be asking for? Because I don't want to end up with something that I don't want.

Dream`R
28-09-2003, 09:39 PM
Just a quick question. Noone has mentioned the EK4, don't these have the B16A engine as well?

bengbear
28-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Just a quick question. Noone has mentioned the EK4, don't these have the B16A engine as well?

Yup they do...b16a2...OBD2 engines

If you wanna fit it into an EG, you will have some issues with mounts and wiring.

CAT_SPEW
29-09-2003, 07:40 AM
So does anyone know the price of one of those JDM EG6 SiR engines???

Setanta
29-09-2003, 08:19 AM
www.yellowpages.com.au ;)

I've seen them for under three grand in a complete front cut a while back, dunno about now. I'm pretty sure SSS Automotive advertised them - dunno on price.

CAT_SPEW
29-09-2003, 10:00 AM
In your opinion would it be worth paying the extra $1000 or so for the extra bit of horsepower?
Or just go the regular B16A?

bennjamin
29-09-2003, 10:11 AM
hmm...personally i think it depends what u r getting in the first place...mind you, the older the series of engine the more likely something isnt as strong internally...minimum u should be going for an ozzy spec b16a2 , out of the vtirs - but for that extra grand IF u can get sumthin like a SiR engine or even a CTR ( B16b) then by all means ! Otherwise, its better putting that $1000 towards a full blueprint or or new pistons or etc etc...to guarentee the longevity of these hard reving lil monsters 8)

But yeah...look at me ! Im sticking to a d16a8 - its no bad thing...limited in the modification stakes but i good lil revver ! ( until , i blow it up lol...then a b18c is in mind :P )

weezer
29-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Just a thought.
The JDM B16A has 170hp. But thats on Japans higher grade fuel.

So does that theoretically mean that the hp will be less if you use australian fuel?

If so, is it worth the extra $$$??

CAT_SPEW
30-09-2003, 11:38 AM
I don't know aboutt he fuel thing, but sounsd about right.
Thnx benjamin. I suppose the B16A2 will be the most common here in Aus, and easiest to source parts for, and probably cheaper.
Which for me is the most bang for my buck :)

Setanta
30-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Just a thought.
The JDM B16A has 170hp. But thats on Japans higher grade fuel.

So does that theoretically mean that the hp will be less if you use australian fuel?

If so, is it worth the extra $$$??

It's an interesting idea - but we are talking '92 Japanese fuel that the EG6 was designed for. I run my JDM B16A on 98 octane and get the smae power output it did in Japan 160ps. Aussie fuel has caught up to early 90s Japanese fuel.

It's about detonation, not loss of power - and with 250,000 on my SiR I think I can quite happily say that detonation isn't an issue :) That's a late 80s engine designed for late '80s Jap fuel running on 98 Aussie Octane.

one more chance
30-09-2003, 01:09 PM
I currently have a 1992 EG honda Civic Hatch GL and I'm thinking about changing the engine sometime in the future.
I'm not completly sure on what I should go for or what each engines specification is.

I'm thinking something like a B16B (rare?), B16A, B18C(got no idea on)
I'm in Brisbane so if anyone knows a good, cheap, reliable place to get a front cut from then please post.

I will most probably be doing most of the mechanical work with my dad who is a mechanic at home. But can anyone tell me basically what is involved in it? Is it a straight pull out, put in job? Or more technical?

And if anyone has had one of hese conversions or has any info on these engines can you please fill me in.
Thnx.

if you're looking at the B16A, the only engine suitable for your EG will be either the B16A or B16A1 engine. There is no reason why you should choose the B16B over the B18C5 engine. The C5 has more power, more torque and will be alot cheaper. I should also point out that the B18C1 engine is the 128kw version found in VTi-R tegs, not Type Rs! the B18C5 is the ausdm ITR engine, also found in the states. The B16B is only good if you want something unique or if u want something with higher compression. But its very slightly more higher. also you will come across alot of problems fitting a odb2 motor into a odb1 car! unless u have alot of time and a deep wallet, i wouldn't bother!

for your budget, the B16A/1 is more suitable, and definitely a better option IMO! if in the future u want, u can always upgrade the B16B head and it'll give you a few more HP! the LS/VTEC B20 is good, but will be a headache. The B20 is more suitable for FI applications anyways....

CAT_SPEW
30-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Ok, I just got a price of around $1950 for a front cut of a B16A/2. Do you know what the difference is between the B16A/1 and the B16A/2?
He also said that the engine mounts need to be "modified" but I had a talk to my dad and he is pretty sure he could do it.

Setanta
30-09-2003, 05:28 PM
B16A1 is cable clutch, B16A2 is from an EG and has a hydraulic clutch. A1 os OBD0, A2 is OBD1

The engine mounsts must be replaced - not modified if you are doing it properly. A B16A is a very different layout to a D series. You can try and cut and shut the old mounts from the EG engine bay into yours - but its asking for trouble. Better to get the Place or Hasport mounts from the US which meet ADRs and will get you your engineers cert straight off.

CAT_SPEW
30-09-2003, 08:17 PM
B16A1 is cable clutch, B16A2 is from an EG and has a hydraulic clutch. A1 os OBD0, A2 is OBD1

The engine mounsts must be replaced - not modified if you are doing it properly. A B16A is a very different layout to a D series. You can try and cut and shut the old mounts from the EG engine bay into yours - but its asking for trouble. Better to get the Place or Hasport mounts from the US which meet ADRs and will get you your engineers cert straight off.

I think the guy that told us about the mount modifying said something like what you just said. But $600 for mounts from the US??? That's a bit much..

So would the B16A2 be the easiest to fit into my car? I'm guessing mine is the hydralic clutch? Not the cable?

bengbear
30-09-2003, 09:25 PM
[quote=Setanta]
So would the B16A2 be the easiest to fit into my car? I'm guessing mine is the hydralic clutch? Not the cable?

b16a2 bolts right into an EG.

Weq
30-09-2003, 10:00 PM
oversea's modles of the EG VTi, ie JDM and euro came came with the b16a2 instead of d16y1 ! damn honda aus!

Civic Type R
30-09-2003, 10:04 PM
EG SiR (overseas VTi) came with the B16A1 or just B16A didn't it rated at 170ps. The B16A2 im sure wasnt introduced in the EG, only the EK.

CAT_SPEW
30-09-2003, 11:07 PM
Just checked out Redbook.com
And the B16A2 engine from the 1995 Aus Spec vti-R Civic Hatch is 118KW@ 7600 RPM compared to my 74KW.
So it sounds as though it will be a big upgrade in power etc.

Anyone know what these cars run down the quarter mile stock? It says 0-100 in 8.7 Seconds.

Civic Type R
01-10-2003, 01:50 AM
hehe
mate my last car was a 87 civic hatch and yeah i its heaven when upgrading to VTiR power.

8.7 sec WTF ??!?

ive used a G Tech Pro extensively and tested it against Kwinana Motorplex strip times. The device is spot on to the tenth of a second and i got many runs in the 7 second barrier with the best being a 7.5. Even with a passenger to prove it.

Civic Type R
01-10-2003, 01:51 AM
BTW ... that was last year on a winter night along the coastal road with wet weather rubber. O and that was a stock VTiR hatch too.

Setanta
01-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Bengbear is correct, I did a little research and you can use the EG6 mounts with a B16A2. It's the ED/EE/EF that need custom mounts - it's only a H22A that needs them for the EG. You learn something new every day :) You do need the EG hydraulic tranny though - don't get an EF front cut.

I don't believe G-Tech figures - they can be notoriously wrong over the 1/4, but 7.5 is about right with just the driver in a EK4 under optimal conditions and brutal driving. 8s are if you are being gentle with the car. Redbook can't seem to get much right really - this wouldn't be the first time I've seen their figures out - but remember when they test the idea is not to break the car in the process :)

one more chance
01-10-2003, 11:03 AM
the B16A2 is from an EK are will fit with the right mounting brackets. The B16A/1 is a straight fit into the EG

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 11:33 AM
the B16A2 is from an EK are will fit with the right mounting brackets. The B16A/1 is a straight fit into the EG

Ok. I think I got it now.
I will get the B16A/2 front cut as I ned the hydraluic clutch. But One More Chance, when you say "the right mounting brackets" do you mean custom brackets, or those that will come with the front cut from the EK?

And also, what does a front cut consist of? Does it have everything I need besides fluids?

Civic Type R
01-10-2003, 11:56 AM
And also, what does a front cut consist of? Does it have everything I need besides fluids?
Yes, a front cut will equip you with everything you need :)

bengbear
01-10-2003, 11:58 AM
[quote="CAT_SPEW"]the B16A2 is from an EK are will fit with the right mounting brackets.
[quote]

Correct. Note that NOT all the mounts from the b16a2 (for the EK) will work for the EG.

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 02:15 PM
[quote="CAT_SPEW"]the B16A2 is from an EK are will fit with the right mounting brackets.
[quote]

Correct. Note that NOT all the mounts from the b16a2 (for the EK) will work for the EG.

So does that mean that some of them will work, and others wont?
...?

one more chance
01-10-2003, 02:32 PM
you can use all the same mounts in your EG except for the rear engine mounts, which u can either source from a DC2 integra or get custom made. The stock transmission mounts should be fine.

The next problem you will encounter is the ecu. the B16A2 has a OBDII harness whilst your car is a OBD1 car, therefore you will require a OBDII engine harness, these are more commonly sourced from DC2 Intergra, ITR included. It will plug directly to your motor and also plug into your stock civic chassis harness without any modification.

one more chance
01-10-2003, 02:35 PM
sorry for the double...

but thats why i said to you, a B16A or B16A1 transplant is much easier as it is a stright drop-in!

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Ok, my head is a bit messed up. I was under the impression that the B16A/2 was going to be the easiest, hassle free job to be done???
And I thought that the B16A/1 and B16A would not work as my clutch is hydraulic and theres is cable?

one more chance
01-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Ok, my head is a bit messed up. I was under the impression that the B16A/2 was going to be the easiest, hassle free job to be done???
And I thought that the B16A/1 and B16A would not work as my clutch is hydraulic and theres is cable?

as far as i know, all b-series motors have the same flywheel and pressure plates, pre 91 Bseries engines have a smaller input shaft then the newer engines therefore will require a different clutch disc. as long as you change this disc, you shouldn't have any problems.....

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Aw ok. Sorry for the very long thread ppl, and the heap of questions I threw at you all.
But could you One More Chance please summarise what I will need to ask the shop for exactly?

Is this right?
A B16A or B16A/1 with Hydraluic Clutch from an ???????EK Civic VTI-R?????

:S:S

one more chance
01-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Aw ok. Sorry for the very long thread ppl, and the heap of questions I threw at you all.
But could you One More Chance please summarise what I will need to ask the shop for exactly?

Is this right?
A B16A or B16A/1 with Hydraluic Clutch from an ???????EK Civic VTI-R?????

:S:S

since it's a straight drop in, you don't need to worry about a thing, everything is transfered straight in, gear box, clutch n all.......just source yourself a B16A or B16A1 engine. If you opt for the B16A2, then you will need to upgrade rear engine mounts....

while you're at it, upgrade the ront brakes as they should come with the front-cut.....

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Awesome, I assume both engines are pretty much the same? Which would you opt for and parts would be easily sourced I'm guessing?

one more chance
01-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Awesome, I assume both engines are pretty much the same? Which would you opt for and parts would be easily sourced I'm guessing?

i'd opt for the B16A2 as it has more HP B2=170hp vs B/1= 160HP.
The A2 has 10.4:1 compression compared to the 10.2:1 of the A/1. The power increase however comes more from the better flowing head and better cams.
as i mentioned, you will need to upgrade the ecu harness if you opt for the B16A2. Plus also you will need to upgrade the clutch disc as mentioned beforehand. Also, you will need new rear engine mounts for the A2 as well. Besides that.....you shouldn't encountered any problems.
being a honda, you won't have any problems whatsoever sourcing parts.
that should be the last of your worries...

Setanta
01-10-2003, 05:57 PM

You've never owned a Honda import have you? :P Honda Au are not the most helpful at all - it's pretty bad when I have to get my parts from Honda NZ.

one more chance
01-10-2003, 06:04 PM
You've never owned a Honda import have you? :P Honda Au are not the most helpful at all - it's pretty bad when I have to get my parts from Honda NZ.

haha......EF SiR are rare as duck's nuts here!!! :lol:

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 06:25 PM

i'd opt for the B16A2 as it has more HP B2=170hp vs B/1= 160HP.
The A2 has 10.4:1 compression compared to the 10.2:1 of the A/1. The power increase however comes more from the better flowing head and better cams.
as i mentioned, you will need to upgrade the ecu harness if you opt for the B16A2. Plus also you will need to upgrade the clutch disc as mentioned beforehand. Also, you will need new rear engine mounts for the A2 as well. Besides that.....you shouldn't encountered any problems.

Sweet, thnx for that. That pretty much answered all of my troubled questions :)
Any idea of what the upgraded ecu harness, clutch plate, and rear mount? Roughly?

one more chance
01-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Sweet, thnx for that. That pretty much answered all of my troubled questions :)
Any idea of what the upgraded ecu harness, clutch plate, and rear mount? Roughly?

the ECU harness shouldn't be too hard to source. Make sure it's a OBD2 harness, any good car parts importer should be able to get one for you....
i wont even guess on price, you i wouldn't say itll be expensive.
the rear mount and clutch disc shouldn't expensive too either, you really should ask importers, theyll fit you up...

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Excellent, I'll give a couple of shops a call tommorow, my dad seems to know what your are talking about so thats good :

Thnx for everyones help with this. I'll post again if I get any troubles.
Thnx.

one more chance
02-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Excellent, I'll give a couple of shops a call tommorow, my dad seems to know what your are talking about so thats good :

Thnx for everyones help with this. I'll post again if I get any troubles.
Thnx.

no worries dude, keep us posted with the progress, if u have any questions, don't hestitate to ask us...

CAT_SPEW
02-10-2003, 07:24 PM
no worries dude, keep us posted with the progress, if u have any questions, don't hestitate to ask us

Will do man, Thnx again ;)
Can't wait to start putting it in :D:D

CAT_SPEW
03-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Ok, we got a problem. My dad rang up and had a tyalk to a guy at the Honda Wrecking shop and he has alot of experience in this field he said.
He said that the engine we are talking about may require some serious cutting etc. of the engine bay or someting like that for the engine to fit???
He also said that my better option would be to put and engine like the 1.6L Injected engine in and then turbo it... But this just opens up more problems and more money.

I said that I would ask you guys and see what you said and if you have ever done this conversion to my type of car and how much cutting etc. you had to do...??
Remember. It is a 1992 Honda Civic GL EG Hatch. Is there any problems that you might have forgotten to mention, or does this guy not know what he is talking about???
Thnx.

vti-2
03-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Ok, we got a problem. My dad rang up and had a tyalk to a guy at the Honda Wrecking shop and he has alot of experience in this field he said.
He said that the engine we are talking about may require some serious cutting etc. of the engine bay or someting like that for the engine to fit???
He also said that my better option would be to put and engine like the 1.6L Injected engine in and then turbo it... But this just opens up more problems and more money.

WTF? What sort of 'experience' does this bloke have?

If you are planning on dropping a B16A (1.6L) into the EG you should have NO problems at all. It's a simple direct drop in. bengbear on this forum has a hybrid setup and he didn't have to chop anything, the engine mounts were even perfect from memory.

This guy is having you on IMO.

CAT_SPEW
03-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Hmm. Are you compltely sure about which model car I have and that it will fit, as some might be slightly different to tohers.
Did bengbear have a GL civic???

vti-2
04-10-2003, 11:38 AM
bengbear has an EG Civic, which is what you have right???

It doesn't matter if it is a GL, GLi or VTi, the engine bay is the same size. Don't let some guy fool you into chopping up your engine bay and wasting money on a different engine when a B16A will drop into your EG without any issues.

CAT_SPEW
04-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Yeh he is starting to sound like he's full of $hit. But is their much size difference etc. between the B16A/2 B16A/1 and B16A??

bengbear
04-10-2003, 12:21 PM
This is some funny stuff.

You could chop, coz its weight reduction. hehehe

I have a EG GLi civic. My b16a2 droppped straight in USING THE CORRECT PARTS. Only took half a day to get the old d15 out and b16a2 in. There is no need for any custom mounts bulls(&t, or cutting away, etc. Just get the correct parts, and its easy as cake.

You say you have a GL civic.....do you know you have to convert it to EFI? Which means you got alot more work than just dropping in an engine.

one more chance
04-10-2003, 01:29 PM
go somewhere else!!!

the guy has no idea.....where did u go? have u tried chapman & chapman...?

the B16A2 will fit into your EG, you just need rear-engine mounts!

go somewhere else, the guy is unprofessional and is giving you misleading info!

CAT_SPEW
04-10-2003, 03:03 PM
This is some funny stuff.

You could chop, coz its weight reduction. hehehe

I have a EG GLi civic. My b16a2 droppped straight in USING THE CORRECT PARTS. Only took half a day to get the old d15 out and b16a2 in. There is no need for any custom mounts bulls(&t, or cutting away, etc. Just get the correct parts, and its easy as cake.

You say you have a GL civic.....do you know you have to convert it to EFI? Which means you got alot more work than just dropping in an engine.

Lol, and I was actually listening to what he is saying...
What is involved in converting it to EFI??? And "USING THE CORRECT PARTS"??
Does that mean that when I buy the engine to make sure it comes with everything I need?

go somewhere else!!!

the guy has no idea.....where did u go? have u tried chapman & chapman...?

the B16A2 will fit into your EG, you just need rear-engine mounts!

go somewhere else, the guy is unprofessional and is giving you misleading info!

Chapman & Chapman, is that in Brisbane? And rear engine mounts, do these need to be custom made? Or will they come with the front cut?
Because I keep on getting different answers from different people...

bengbear
04-10-2003, 03:25 PM
www.honda-tech.com

Use the 'search' function

CAT_SPEW
04-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Thnx for the site. I'll make a post and see how I go as I couldn't find much by doing a search.

pornstar
04-10-2003, 06:54 PM
i also heard this from someone else that has done the conversion, that sum chopping of the engine bay was required. I think the chopping has to do with the carbie setup..but im not sure. But using intuition, why would honda change a chassis just for australia? it doesnt make sense, therefore id have to say that these guys dont know what they are talking about.

CAT_SPEW
04-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Hmmm, interestiong. Thnx for that pornstar.

Setanta
05-10-2003, 11:27 PM
No chopping needed - end of story. An EG is an EG - unlike the EF/ED series.

CAT_SPEW
06-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Thnx Santana, I was looking for straight simple answer, that I could understand :):)

CAT_SPEW
07-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Okai, I realise this thread is getting a bit old. But I need confirmation on which engine exactly to ask for.

I did some searching and found this http://www.hondaswap.com/reference/index.php?mode=engine

Can someojne please tell me which one to get out of the B16A range from that list. Then I can take it from their to the shop and hop on the waiting list.
Thnx.

Setanta
08-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Get an EG6 front cut :)

CAT_SPEW
08-10-2003, 03:47 PM
:D Could you show me which one that would be, on that site??? :wink: :?:

Setanta
15-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Sheesh :?

http://www.hondaswap.com/reference/index.php?mode=engine&id=18

:P

CAT_SPEW
16-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Sorry bout that. I forgot to post and say I found which one it was frokm another site.
I just wanted to be completely sure it was the right engine.
Thnx.

Setanta
16-10-2003, 03:26 PM
No worries mate :) As long as the 'cut has EG6 on the firewall and a B16A in the bay, all should be good :)

one more chance
16-10-2003, 06:56 PM
hey man....read over the posts in this thread again as all the info has been given already! :wink:

XXpl0Sive
16-10-2003, 07:43 PM
u could also go for a vtir motor, dunno the exact code, probably b18c5 or something.isn't the type-r's C7 and the vti-r's C1?

CAT_SPEW
16-10-2003, 10:53 PM
Hehehe, yeh this is one long ass thread.
I'll have a read through it soon. :)

Setanta
16-10-2003, 11:35 PM
I'd bloody hope so - didn't you start it? :P