PDA

View Full Version : Paint Stripper

L-Plates
02-05-2006, 01:52 PM
hey just wondeirng if i put paint stripper on my rear bar which is plastic will it effect the shape or like damage the actual bar itsself.!?..
i heard that it can mould or like stuff up the shape of the bar....
does any1 know where i can get a cheap rear bar for EG sedan...either second hand or brand new..!?

thanks

Tjen

Q_ball
02-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Whats wrong with ya bar man?
Paint work needed, ie scratched??
Are you planning on resprayin yourself or payin someone/shop??
As far as i kno paint stripper shouldnt affect plastic (correct if wrong).
But thats my understanding :)

L-Plates
02-05-2006, 02:40 PM
nah all the paint is cracked...and i went to the re-sprayer and they said they wont touch it becuase its a major job....becuase taking the paint of will take ages...and i said paint stripper.!?..and yeah they said it can stuff up the bar...
i never heard that paint stripper would stuff up ur bar....

Q_ball
02-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Me neither....and a workshop thats sayin that a job is TOO BIG and that it'll TAKE AGES...doesnt sound too convincin either!!
Have u considered sanding the paint off urself then re-primin it??

L-Plates
02-05-2006, 03:35 PM
yeah i cant get the paint of...i got instructions and stuff but the previous owner i think painted it himself and its really thick...the paint doesnt come off it just scrathes it...

Nuttz
02-05-2006, 07:15 PM
paint stripper is pretty strong stuff, its will start to melt the bumper after it melts the paint. The reason why they say its a major job is probably because they have to sand the whole thing to strip off all the chipping paint. its probably a better idea to buy a second hand one without chiped paint and get that resprayed.

krogoth
02-05-2006, 07:48 PM
paint stripper is pretty strong stuff, its will start to melt the bumper after it melts the paint. The reason why they say its a major job is probably because they have to sand the whole thing to strip off all the chipping paint. its probably a better idea to buy a second hand one without chiped paint and get that resprayed.

very true

im yet to have a reason to use paint stripper for my car, but a wile ago i used it on a wooden cabinet

i know, i know, weer talkin bout two different things, but i wanted to repaint the cabinet, it took 2 hrs to strip the paint off one door, by sanding it off with an electric sander

after that, i coodnt be stuffed anymore, so i bought some paintstripper, followed the instructions and coated the whole cabinet for a week, then it f*kd over.

the wole cabinet was ruined, cracks appeared all over it. i tried to fix it by going over the wood with the sander again, no luk, the wood was marked permamently, and no i didnt use a metal paint stripper on a wooden cabinet

i guess u cood sand the paint off, but i dunno, i dont trust paint stripper after the above incident, and im tellin u its not worth the heartache of sanding the paint off, just go to a wreker and find another one, IMO

Fr3aKi3
02-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Are you sure the instructions said to leave the paint stripper on for a week? You sure it wasn't one hour? Reason being, i've used paint strippers for wood and metal before and i have never seen any that say to leave it for a week.

krogoth
02-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Are you sure the instructions said to leave the paint stripper on for a week? You sure it wasn't one hour? Reason being, i've used paint strippers for wood and metal before and i have never seen any that say to leave it for a week.

lol, wat i meant to say was i did leave it for an hour only, but thats all it took to do the damage, then i re-applied and left it for a little longer(as in one week of forgotten existence in my garage), but it didnt help

again i emphasise, the cabinet was already ruined one hour after the paint stripper was applied

dsp26
02-05-2006, 08:03 PM
depends on the actual plastic type used on the bumper. you can get mild paint stripper and u can use it well by putting it through an air compressor to spread properly and evenly.

paint stripper is the optimum way of getting paint off plastic panels. i would only use sandpaper (regardless of grit) on metal

can't remember the brand but the one i'm thinking of actually lifts the paint and makes it feel moisturised/rubbery and you can just rub it off with a rag after.

L-Plates
03-05-2006, 12:11 PM
any1 wanna do it for me.?!?!
ahah

dsp26
03-05-2006, 12:24 PM
bro just take your bumper off and get like 2 spray cans of the paint stripper stuff, i bought mine from bunnings ages ago.

or get the tin variant which is better coz you'd have to use a rag either way.

once paint is "peeled off" looking, get a rough rag like a towel and rub it off.

a small tin of this stuff is like $20 which should be more than enough for a bumper and a bit :thumbsup:

h22a accord
03-05-2006, 12:31 PM
take it to another smash repairer. the 1st one was just being lazy.

dsp26
03-05-2006, 12:34 PM
L-Plates, whereabouts are you mate? in Sydney?

L-Plates
03-05-2006, 09:14 PM
yeah im in sydney...hills district...

dsp26
03-05-2006, 09:42 PM
ok cool cool. i actually just posted this in anoth er thread, thought it may help ya...

ORION
Mobile Car Paint & Repair
- Car Paint Touch Up Spray
- Respray & Panelbeating repair
- Bumper Bar recondition

Henry Rara
Phone: (02) 9832 4697
Mobile: 0403 282 066