PDA

View Full Version : Compressed C02 intake cooling..

crx51
02-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Im wondering if anybody on here has seen the new technology that has come of intake cooling. Ive been reading alot about it and it seems quite logical interesting and quite exciting a prospect.

Outline: You have a cabin mounted switch, and you have a bottle looking like a nos bottle but filled with highly compressed carbon dioxide. From the bottle you have hoses running into the engine bay where there are three points of contact 1 being a peice that connects on top of the fuel rail, 2 being an aerodynamic bulb which sits in the intake tract and 3 being (depending on application) an intercooler spray or a vent.

Logic: Compressed co2 is incredibly cold (well into the minuses). When activated by the button in the cabin the co2 flows through the hoses and through the fuel rail attachment and into the bulb in the middle of the intake tract and then finally out from the spray onto the intercooler or just vented (like nos with the big gas release look and everything). As you can imagine this cools and condenses the fuel at the fuel rail before being injected into the engine, its been proven to lower intake temperature and incredible amount and in the case of the intercooler it helps immensely to cool it for that period of WOT.

It is a quality looking system and would (id imagine anyway) be legal. No carbon dioxide enters the engine obviously as it would starve it of oxygen and stall. Its proven to cool the charge heaps. And i cant remember exact pricing but i think with a 10lb bottle plus the fuel rail and intake bulb and hosing it was well under $1k. If you have a modified engine i think it would be pretty damn useful. Im going to look further into it thats for sure.

Theyve had gains massive gains on turbo cars i havent read much on NA stuff though. But if it lowers intake temp say 80% you know that whether you have a standard 1.3litre breeze or a Twin Turbocharged NSX its going to do pretty well for you. Plus for people that like the pose value (i dont particularly but each for their own i say) it has the nos release thing to draw attention.

Let us know if you've had any experience with these products (they are quite new so there'd be few who have i think) and what you think of the concept. I think its genius really and it makes me wonder why its not been around longer.

Scott

mini_s2000
02-05-2006, 02:12 PM
pretty interesting... i'm sure we will hear more about it soon

bennjamin
02-05-2006, 02:16 PM
forced induction this has an application (as icepacks and dry ice have been used for years on intercoolers) but in a NA perspective im sure the "intake charge" will warm back up to normal temp. once its mixted with friction-heated air goign up the intake arm etc.

Slow96GSR
02-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Read here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35105&highlight=co2). Look for some of my posts on page 2+. It's not all that new, been around for many years here in the U.S.A.!