PDA

View Full Version : A few niggling civic probs

CvcResponse
02-05-2006, 04:08 PM
I own a 2000 ek civic GLi sedan which i've had for about 2 years. Ever since i purchased it i feel like i've got a dud, despite the low kms.

Here are a few minor probs i'd like to know how to fix or get more info:

- The engine (or at least front bay) makes a continuous ticking sound for 2-3 minutes after the car is turned off. The longer and harder i've driven, the more intense the ticking sound is. It may not affect the performance but i'd appreciate a quiet car when turned off or close enough.

- There is a distinct click sound from the rear of the car, usually when driving over rough roads or speed humps. It doesnt sound like normal body strain or whatever, but i hear the CLICK sound at least 5-6 times during a 15-20 minute drive.

- The car seems to have a lot of body noise when driving around, like if i go over a speed hump (at a reasonable speed) then i hear a continuous creaking sound from the dash board area and other niggling ongoing sounds from the front and rear. Its the sort of noise i'd expect from a much older car, not a 6 year old Honda.

- Not as serious as others, but a squeaky driver seltbeat. Whenever i turn a corner it makes a creaking type sound. Any solutions?

I recently got the car serviced for the 40k milestone at a honda dealership and mentioned these probs. They said they would check them out in addition to the main service but evidently didnt, which didnt surprise me. The car itself hasnt even reached 50k which is low for its age but it really isnt the best ride it should be...

Any help, advice would be appreciated!

[ricer]
02-05-2006, 04:10 PM
its a honda man
buy a bmw or something if u want it more solid
that ticking sound is probably just ur cat after u turned the car off

mrwillz
02-05-2006, 04:10 PM
- The engine (or at least front bay) makes a continuous ticking sound for 2-3 minutes after the car is turned off. The longer and harder i've driven, the more intense the ticking sound is. It may not affect the performance but i'd appreciate a quiet car when turned off or close enough.

i got that too.. it doesnt bother me to much as i turn off the car and go inside...
im jus curious on wot it is too

nugget666
02-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I own a 2000 ek civic GLi sedan which i've had for about 2 years. Ever since i purchased it i feel like i've got a dud, despite the low kms.

Here are a few minor probs i'd like to know how to fix or get more info:

- There is a distinct click sound from the rear of the car, usually when driving over rough roads or speed humps. It doesnt sound like normal body strain or whatever, but i hear the CLICK sound at least 5-6 times during a 15-20 minute drive.

- The car seems to have a lot of body noise when driving around, like if i go over a speed hump (at a reasonable speed) then i hear a continuous creaking sound from the dash board area and other niggling ongoing sounds from the front and rear. Its the sort of noise i'd expect from a much older car, not a 6 year old Honda.

- Not as serious as others, but a squeaky driver seltbeat. Whenever i turn a corner it makes a creaking type sound. Any solutions?

oil the roller

I recently got the car serviced for the 40k milestone at a honda dealership and mentioned these probs. They said they would check them out in addition to the main service but evidently didnt, which didnt surprise me. The car itself hasnt even reached 50k which is low for its age but it really isnt the best ride it should be...

1.that would be your exhaust/cat cooling down. every car does it

krogoth
02-05-2006, 05:23 PM
']its a honda man
buy a bmw or something if u want it more solid
that ticking sound is probably just ur cat after u turned the car off

aww cmon, ur bein harsh

my uncles 318i just hit 60k kmz and it certainly isnt the "rigid" car u make it sound like

and btw, my dads explorer just hit 210k kmz and it had all those tickin and clikin noises for as long as i can remeber

dont quote me on this as i could b rong, but most of the clikin noise is a resultant of metal parts like the exhaust that are cooling down, as they have expanded slightly due to high operating temperature, and u said that the longer the car runs for, the longer it takes for the clikin to stop coz the metal has expanded more, thus it wil take a longer time to cool down and return to its original size

dw bout the noises, all cars have them, IMO

Zdster
02-05-2006, 05:51 PM
dont quote me on this as i could b rong, but most of the clikin noise is a resultant of metal parts like the exhaust that are cooling down, as they have expanded slightly due to high operating temperature, and u said that the longer the car runs for, the longer it takes for the clikin to stop coz the metal has expanded more, thus it wil take a longer time to cool down and return to its original size

Spot on (and I quoted you :p). This is a standard sound on all cars. It is simply the expansion and contraction of the metal.

EKCivic96
02-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Again, he is 100% correct, but i would just like to add what i was told about it as mine did exactly the same.
I took it in to a mechanic first and he said it was the exhaust cooling down. Then i took it to the exhaust guy and he fitted me a 2" mandrel bent catback exhaust. It was either that or put up with the sound (which was sending me insaine) or replace with a standard catback. And i was already going to do the exhaust anyway.

When he finished he told me it was to do with some mild steel and stainless steel as they both heat up and cool down at different rates.

Cheers hope that shed some more light on the situation

Nuttz
02-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Again, he is 100% correct, but i would just like to add what i was told about it as mine did exactly the same.
I took it in to a mechanic first and he said it was the exhaust cooling down. Then i took it to the exhaust guy and he fitted me a 2" mandrel bent catback exhaust. It was either that or put up with the sound (which was sending me insaine) or replace with a standard catback. And i was already going to do the exhaust anyway.

When he finished he told me it was to do with some mild steel and stainless steel as they both heat up and cool down at different rates.

Cheers hope that shed some more light on the situation

hahah your crazy.. you turn your car off then leave !!! hahah you dont have to stay with your car till the ticking noise goes away :) the further away you are the less you can hear it:confused:

krogoth
02-05-2006, 07:57 PM
but we want to make sure our cars are healthy, thats y we sit by our cars unitl theyve gone to sleep, LOL :D

CvcResponse
03-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad i'm not the only one, but for those who say its normal then why do most other cars like NOT make these ticking sounds lol

So the exhaust explanation means that it extends to the front engine and somewhere there is all the ticking noise... So as ekcivic96 suggested, a new exhaust or "catback" would fix this?

Slow96GSR
03-05-2006, 06:23 AM
but we want to make sure our cars are healthy, thats y we sit by our cars unitl theyve gone to sleep, LOL :D

You have no life!! It's ok!! LOL!!

The ticking noise is what most have said, just the exhaust and well the rest of the car cooling and settling down. To fix body noise, go around the car and tighten all the nuts and bolts. If that doesn’t help take it to a pro to have it checked. Inspections might be free there if you have them do the work if they find anything. For the seat belt spray some WD40 in to the mechanism, don't have to soak it, just enough to shut it up! I wouldn't worry too much, I haven't see a bumper fly off that hasn't been touched by a person. It's always cuz someone messed with the part. Good luck and have fun!!

wassup
03-05-2006, 11:27 AM
There are also parts surrounding the cat that act as heat shields and also protect the exhaust... these metal bits also contribute to the noise.. ive heard of ppl removing them but youll find your transmission area warmer than usual as a result.

The rear noise could be due to the rear suspension requiring tightening or something in the tyre well? i had a similar issue with my EM1 and it was caused by a loose rear anti roll bar. (this wont apply to yours unless you had one fitted after market)

for interior creaks i would highly recommend silicone spray... it doesnt smell or attract dust nearly as much as WD40... remove trim from each side of the boot and treat gaps around weld seams... also the sandwiched area's in the rear parcel shelf (also in the boot) are sources or noise..

hope this helps

chameleon
03-05-2006, 11:44 AM
dont stress too much mate
i think all your problems are common to most ek's
my dash also creaks alot, especially when its a hot day.

rear sus noise i also had. i got may mechanic to look at it and he sprayed something around the whole rear sus. all better now. dont know what he used though.

and that ticking noise after your car is turned off i think has been resolved.

abzndintegra
04-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Count me in guys i have the same noises on my EK

The ticking is it cooling down and as someone said, i have after market sway bar which explains the rear bump noise occasionaly.

czy_sol87
04-05-2006, 12:46 AM
yeh the ticking sound is ur cat cooling down, i was freaked out as well when i first got my delsol but now the sound seems to have gone away

wob
04-05-2006, 11:49 AM
me too guys,

ive got 2000 coupe, i get clicking sounds when i accelerate, from 0-5kph

where the cupholders i get creaks too