PDA

View Full Version : accord vs civic-what to buy?

accordtech
03-05-2006, 05:03 PM
hey guys,

quick question for you, i know its my decision but just want to know others thoughts....i have 8-10 grand to spend on a car and want somthing newish (mid 90s) rather than late 80s....so i looked at hondas. now my mates dad has a 1995 honda accord VTi-S, manual 5 speed. hes selling it for 9 negotiable. its got leather seats, digital climate control, absolutely mint condition inside and out, kept beatifuly as his brother in law owns a honda workshop. now only problem is its got over 200,000kms on the clock and his son (my mate) borrows it sometimes and isnt affraid to take it upto vtec. also it the fact its single cam puts me off abit but i love the looks inside and out and i love being passenger in it.

Now if u were me, wanting a nice looking car that goes hard and has some modification potential would you buy this accord OR buy a VTI or SI EG civic? keeping in mind there arent heaps of Si or VTi model EG's around in adelaide.

1 more question how much is a H22A transplant cost into an accord?

you may remember a few weeks ago i started a thread asking about engine conversions into an EG, after consideration id really prefer not to muck around with engine conversions as i need a car on the road to get me to work.

sorry 4 the long post.

accordtech
03-05-2006, 05:07 PM
1 more thing....i asked about the H22A conversion into the accord due to the high kms and from what ive been told its a fairly direct swap so not much time off the road? not to much of a head**** for the workshop? not too pricey?

accordtech
03-05-2006, 05:16 PM
MY BAD-found some info on H2 swaps......back to the original question :p

civicCXI
03-05-2006, 05:47 PM
accord is more like family car. Go for civic dude

dundas
03-05-2006, 07:16 PM
wat are you after???
power/comfort/luxury/sporty???
cheaper?

accordtech
03-05-2006, 08:27 PM
^^^ all of the above lol

at the moment the accord has the edge over the civic. the main thing i love is the fact it looks classy and actually looks like you've spent some money. My mate says that a H22A conversion is hard to come by here in adelaide because decent workshops dont do it or do a shitty job. Considering the high kms im tempted to have the motor reconditioned or somthing. also the accord keeps up with my other mates skyline R32 in straight line and beats it in the hills...so i thought itd be the same if not better performance than the civic?

also i cant seem to find any EG civics in SA that arent the crappy carby models.

i guess another option is a GSI integra

SiReal
03-05-2006, 08:27 PM
accord is more like family car. Go for civic dude

Geee. how unbiased is your answer! haha....

go for which one you like. I wouldnt worry too much if the car has seen VTEC or not. as long as its well maintained then you shouldnt have a worry.

Some things to beware of in the accord though at 200Ks
- Cracking leather - looks sh1t
- Standard sussy components dieing
- Sunroof operational (check seals, motors etc)
- all the other usual stuff.

I would go the accord though, just cos i drive one, Its probably quicker than the civic and quicker than most cars out there (small ones :))

As for the civic, it MAY be cheaper on insurance (dunno nowadays cos insurance is so fvked in the head), smaller and less powerful, not as elegant or "posh" looking, Same problems as above.

Also be wary of buying cars of friends. If ur accord has huge mechanical failure not long after you buy it, whos going to pay for it in good will? Be wary of the 'soft' side of buying from friends.

hth

SiReal

Joeyboy
03-05-2006, 08:30 PM
i'd weigh the options of both cars. which one has better interior? better sound system? less k's? cheaper? but if you're thinkin of doin a h22 conversion anyway, then the accord is the way to go coz its a straight fit. try to see how much each seller is willing to go down to and play around from there (try to get the extra $$$ for suiting it up). yeh the accord might be a FAMILY car, but looks awesome once its suited-up. but then again so does the civic, especially in your case where there's not much VTIs or SIs where u live. that's another plus. but MY preference is the accord. i've got a 95 and all i can say is SSWWWEEEEETTTTTTT. but at the end of the day, they're both HONDAS!

accordtech
03-05-2006, 08:58 PM
yea ive looked over it alot because i loved it from the start. the leather has small cracks but doesnt bother me as it looks like normal leather wear to me. they'll come up better with some product too i guess. sunroof works well, everything works, has eclipse sound system (sounds nice and crisp) vasically it feels and smells like a new car, thats y im so tempted. little things like no dirt and grease between the doors and pillars make it look shmick. the seller is asking 9 but negotiable. also it is one of the only VTi-S manuals in SA.

also has its 4 door insurance isnt too bad....

on the other hand im not keen on mucking around with engine conversions because i really dont wanna run into problems and bigger $.

so basically i can buy this and recondition the engine, get some coilovers, rims and tyres spending 11-13k all up OR i can look and look for a EG and do the same mods?

i have great confidence that the engine will last another 50,000 reliable kms because its never missed a beat and gets a full honda service every 5000kms

still unsure tho.

NightKids
03-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Judging by what's under your name accordtech... "car: EG civic"

I think you've already made up your mind!

accordtech
03-05-2006, 10:49 PM
^ i put my car as EG civic because i was soo close to buying one a few months back but didnt end up going thru with it as it was a carby one and they wanted to much $ for it. my name is accordtech because when i signed upto this site looooved my mates accord (the 1 now for sale)......i still love both cars so no i havnt made up my mind.

but now im thinking about getting the accord and leaving it fairly stock as its a nice classy car, and to satisfy my hunger for a little thrash car ill get an old AE70 corolla.

anyone think im making a mistake choosing an accord over an EG, both are similar prices, similar power?

dundas
04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
The civic is easier to find aftermarket parts for.
The accord is sexy :)..perosonally the accord interior is farrr nicer than the civics interior. A few tips with the accord.. u dun really need to have an exhaust, intake system will satisfy your ears enough i think. In a way i regret getting the exhaust for my car.. but hey this is just me.
simple mods to the accord can be made to make it look quite good. How old are u mate?
Accord is not the quickest with passangers though... damn 4 cyl. I must say i get apx 550km per tank with the occasional redline (or close to).
power of an accord= apx low-mid 80 kw @ wheels===over 100 KW @ the engine...
civic vti= apx 70 kw @ engine...
however power to weight ratio... ohh and the accord will have more torque.
and when did the acord beat the 32 in a straight line.. i dun think that is possible no offence. accord doing apx high 8-9sec 0-100km/h skyline 32 in the 7s

accordtech
04-05-2006, 05:14 PM
na the accord definetly didnt beat the skyline but during the cruise he didnt drop too far behind on the straight bits. which i was impressed with, also launching from standing start the accord had the edge untill the top of 2nd gear. bit of lag in the line me thinks. the accord is dead stock and the skyline only had cat-bak and pod. um as for modifying it i dont think im gonna go to crazy as i need a nice normal daily driver. my mate says the accord came with a 2.25 inch exhaust and extractors from factory or somthing, one of the VTI-S options maybe? ill oprobly get some new rims and tyres and a stereo.....might look into some suspension later down the track.

yea really looking for a classy sort of car for daily as im building a sprinter or corolla for drift/thrash car.

im 19

accordtech
04-05-2006, 05:17 PM
p.s ive pretty much decided on gettin the accord cos i cant find many decent EG's around and also the accord looks and has better interior imo. yea unless i find a nice integra GSi for the same price i reckon i might buy this accord.