PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Mystery Clunk in cabin

EuroDude
12-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Anyone know of any common issues regarding something coming loose in the cabin?

For a few days now, I hear a clunk sound when ever I brake or accelerate hard. The clunk sounds similar to that clunk sound you hear two seconds after you unlock/open the boot-lock (you know, that falling metal latch sound from the boot).

The source of the sound is very hard to find since it only happens when driving.
It sounds like its coming from around the passenger seat or door somewhere, BUT when I move my head over above the passenger seat, it sounds like its coming from the center console dash area, more towards the drivers side - which has confused big time...

Any ideas? :confused:

ps. Yes ive already checked for loose objects, soda cans, money, emptied compartments, lifted the glove box, etc... all to no avail.

euro77
13-05-2006, 12:00 AM
could be your suspension, some people is having a clunck sound after they replace the spring/suspension. have you had your car lowered recently?

EuroDude
13-05-2006, 12:18 AM
No the car is new and only done ~3000km, no mods at all. It sounds more like something metalic shifting in the cabin rather than something mechanical externally such as suspension. The sound is no different when the windows are open, and sounds very clear - not muffled or distant.

I read on the tsxforums that they have a common loose seat rail problem, I might look into that possibility.

ngupil
13-05-2006, 12:23 AM
maybe there is something loose inside the dashboard
coz my friend had this problem as well

EuroDude
13-05-2006, 12:33 AM
Yeah I was thinking that today actually. i guess the sound could be rebounding around the cabin causing directional confusion.

Could u ask ur friend what was the exact cause?

ngupil
13-05-2006, 12:39 AM
he didnt bother to fix it
he said, put a loud stereo on and problem is fixed
lol
sorry cant help you any further :(

curik
08-09-2006, 12:45 AM
If you have lowering springs on, there is only one reason.

aaronng
08-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Get your dealer to check it out. Your car is under warranty, just reproduce the sound for them.

BTW, you sure it's not your keychain?

curik
08-09-2006, 01:14 AM
I used to have my rear suspension clunking as well with the Eibach. It turned out to be when the springs are compressed enough till the coils are touching each other. My mechanic fixed them by using some sort of insulation on the coils. And now the clunking is gone. Hope this will fix yours too.

raz05
08-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Is this what u refering to?
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15092
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23667

aaronng
08-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Is this what u refering to?
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15092
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23667
He said the noise is coming from the front.

It sounds like its coming from around the passenger seat or door somewhere, BUT when I move my head over above the passenger seat, it sounds like its coming from the center console dash area, more towards the drivers side - which has confused big time...

^__^ SM ^__^
08-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I don't know if it's the same noise I had with mine but the dealer found that the trim in the left front door was loose and the rear passenger belt retractor thingy under the speaker shelf thingy (you know where the rear speakers are) were loose. They tightened it and it's gone. they also tightened the front suspension.

hope that helps.

^__^ SM ^__^
29-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi. The other day I noticed that when I accelerate, especially when cold in morning. The gear box seems to make a clunk. I think it's the gear box because the rev of the engine gets decreased, then CLUNK, then accelerate. I can feel the car get hit by a burst of torque like down shifting. But i don't know why it downshifted when i'm moving out of the driveway with very light on the accelerator pedal.

panda[cRx]
29-10-2006, 12:54 PM
simple, take it to your dealer. go for a roadtest with the service manager/foreman and let them sort it out lol

they usualy need some time to sort out rattles and clunks so be prepared to leave it with them for a whole day

Entity
29-10-2006, 01:36 PM
this is a common problem, its coming from the rear parcel tray...

i had it fixed last service, but now about 8000km later its starting to come back when i do sharp turns and go over severely uneven roads.

its coming from the rear left parcel tray, afaik the dealer just lubes it up and thats the temp fix for a few thousand kms =/

aaronng
29-10-2006, 02:04 PM
this is a common problem, its coming from the rear parcel tray...

i had it fixed last service, but now about 8000km later its starting to come back when i do sharp turns and go over severely uneven roads.

its coming from the rear left parcel tray, afaik the dealer just lubes it up and thats the temp fix for a few thousand kms =/
Different problem.

Unkie
29-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi. The other day I noticed that when I accelerate, especially when cold in morning. The gear box seems to make a clunk. I think it's the gear box because the rev of the engine gets decreased, then CLUNK, then accelerate. I can feel the car get hit by a burst of torque like down shifting. But i don't know why it downshifted when i'm moving out of the driveway with very light on the accelerator pedal.

Does it only "clunk" once? Auto's will clunk once when you first head forward after reversing, and vice versa.

And the engine dropping revs without actually changing gears is most likely the lock-up torque converter

^__^ SM ^__^
29-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Yup. Only once after i backed out of garage then go forward. Hope that's normal. But the thing is.. doesn't always happen.. if i let it just go forward without pressing throttle, it wont' clunk. after 10metres or so, i press throttle and it's normal. it only happens if I press throttle right after backing out.

nick_7g
29-10-2006, 02:37 PM
do you have sunnies in the holder? I heard the same thing, a clunk on acc. and braking, and it was the sunnies.

^__^ SM ^__^
29-10-2006, 02:48 PM
nope no sunnies. plus it coincided with mechanical changes with the car. doesnt happen with braking.

BiLL|z0r
29-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Yup. Only once after i backed out of garage then go forward. Hope that's normal. But the thing is.. doesn't always happen.. if i let it just go forward without pressing throttle, it wont' clunk. after 10metres or so, i press throttle and it's normal. it only happens if I press throttle right after backing out.

That's normal, mine does it too.

euro77
29-10-2006, 09:56 PM
could be the abs system testing itself. my rx-8 does that.

Rice_4_life
29-10-2006, 10:32 PM
do wot panda and aarong sed to do, bring it bak to your dealship and go for a roadie with a mechanic. we get lots of cars come in with rattles and stuff all the time, depending on problem could take a few minutes or hours locating and fixing the problem.

europro
30-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Considered struts? Mine sometimes has a dull clunk reminiscent of a worn strut insert even though its only 17k's. It could be the problem there are so many variables it can be very frustrating.

ant234
30-10-2006, 08:51 PM
I also had some annoying sound as well... From the driving position i swear it would be the passenger side... my woman (sitting on the pessenger side) swears its over my end...

in the end its actually the sunglasses compartment!

^__^ SM ^__^
31-10-2006, 05:52 AM
I'll try bringing it into the dealer soon. but I'm sooo stressed bc of exams coming up and so many lectures... i just can't find the time... i just hope that it's nothing serious so i can wait after exam... sigh... hope the auto box wont die on me.

sorry for the rant... eveyone has been really helpful :D

Rice_4_life
31-10-2006, 07:16 PM
bring it in and get a loan car, it's like $40/free (depending on dealer) for the day and any fuel u use, doubt much cos most dealers hav jazz's as loan cars.