PDA

View Full Version : Concidering EK Cxi

91'lude
13-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Yep, just to get to uni, this ones got 93,000km on it. White, foglights, cd, colour coded front stock lip.

Its built in October 1998, but didnt get registered until 1999. Its the "EK1" so the vin tells me, i dont know if this is the newer 1999 series or not.

The first thing i noticed is the shifter felt extremely lose, which i got used to quite quickly (does every civic feel like this?).

The power isnt intrusive, but the d16y pulled well from low rev's with no obvious trouble. The owner went driving with me, so i didnt rev it too high, but it seemed to be enough power.

Im just wondering, is there something i should look out for with these?

They've got $11,990 on it, i'd give the condition 8/10, it looks good, but there's some tiny little dints in the side of the doors.

tRipitaka
13-05-2006, 05:43 PM
not sure if it's facelift or prefacelift ?
post some pics, and we'll tell u ;)

91'lude
13-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Yep, ill try to get some tommorrow.

Im just suprised the Cxi comes with CD + foglights, the front lip is colour coded too.

muhhan
13-05-2006, 06:41 PM
I think that most people ask quite a bit for the barrel scraper, and I say this from experience. If you check on http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/prices.php?key=HOND98AG you can see the national average price for that car for private sales. Sure the car you're looking at has done quite a few less Ks then the average for cars that old but keep in mind at 80000km you'll be up for a major service soon if the owner hasn't done these. This includes the timing belt and tappet adjustment if you want to treat your car a little better than average, and these procedures a quite labour intensive. Some prices I got for such services including all the standard checks were in the $600 mark, assuming there is nothing else that needs fixing. Another thing to note is that accessories shouldn't influence the price of the car a great deal. If you try to trade in a car that is fully accessorised compared to one that is not you would be quite dissappointed at what traders will give you for all those extra accessories and I believe that this should also be the case when you purchase a car off someone else privately.

I'm just trying to give you some things to think about. If you really need a car then by all means get this one but really do some research into how much you can realistically spend (including all those hidden costs such as stamp duty, rego, insurance), and what you want in the car (power options, incar entertainment, tachometer). Remember if this isn't exactly what you want then don't fork over your hard earned cash. Something else will always come up as I've seen a few decent cars come onto the market since buying mine back in september 2005.

mrwillz
13-05-2006, 06:49 PM
11990 stil a lil expensiv for jus a 'cxi'

Fr3aKi3
13-05-2006, 07:30 PM
I think you can definitely get the price down some more, I payed 11 500 for my 99 (sept) model gli. It was an auto and a sedan, the car you're looking at being a hatch and manual should be cheaper. Although i reckon i got a dam good deal (lol).

The CD-player and foglights are either options that were added on when the car was purchased or they were after market. As for the colour coded front lip it was probably also after market.

Quick ways of telling if its a face lit or not is to look at the front headlights. Take a close look at the chrome housing on the top. If its a pre-facelifted model then it'll be smooth, if its facelifted then it'll have 3 ridges or 'steps' . Take a look at the front bumper. Is the air dam one big (rectangular) hole? if it then it's a pre-facelifted version. Also look at the tail lights, if its a hatch and a facelifted model then the indicator will be white (pre-facelift was orange). If a sedan then the facelifted model will have the indicator located on the upper section of the lights, whereas the pre-facelift has the indicator on the lower half.

I just realised it'd be a lot easier if pics were put up and that there's a massive ek thread... lol

Facelifted
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/3295/rlugej60he.jpg

Pre-facelifted
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/NUR-21U/2.jpg

If you're not interested in creature comforts (power windows) then get the cxi. If not then get a Gli, better value for money since you get more gear and the price difference on the market is nothing. Goodluck with getting a car =)

91'lude
13-05-2006, 07:57 PM
I never intended on buying it for $12,000 your right, its just simply not worth it. Its definetly the white one in these 2 pictures, only the foglight section is completely white. Im going to try to get them down to $10,000 for it, The lip on the white on in this picture looks like it too.

I dont "need" it currently, but i just spotted this one in town, it does look extremely nice, but when you go over it thoroughly, you do notice lots of tiny little rough bits, like some dints, plus one side on the front bumper doesnt completely line up.

The power windows thing is no biggie to me. It suprised me how much room is inside these things!

I'll try to get some pictures for you guys tommorow.

Cheers for the impressive input!

Fr3aKi3
13-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Lots of rough spots and dints? Hopefully it aint hail damage, because if it is it'll be really hard to get the car insured. Is the damage all over the car? Like the bonnet and roof?

Bumper that's isn't alligned could mean 2 things, that i'ts been in some sort of accident or it's a pre-facelifted model a conversion has been done.

Other different also include:
Tacho (cxi) - CXI doesn't have one standard
Rear disc brakes (Gli)- CXI has drums
colour coded fittings (side view mirror and door handle) - a standard cxi has the mirrors and door handles black, whereas gli has them color coded.

If those aren't important to ya, or if you plan on doing brake upgrades and all then go for the cxi.

Some tips on things to look out for when getting a 2nd hand car can be found in this thread.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42156

It's for a different car but the same concepts still apply.

For a small car the civic is roomy enough, well.... roomy at the front = no space in the back... lol

Zdster
13-05-2006, 08:38 PM
I never intended on buying it for $12,000 your right, its just simply not worth it. Its definetly the white one in these 2 pictures, only the foglight section is completely white. Im going to try to get them down to $10,000 for it, The lip on the white on in this picture looks like it too.

I dont "need" it currently, but i just spotted this one in town, it does look extremely nice, but when you go over it thoroughly, you do notice lots of tiny little rough bits, like some dints, plus one side on the front bumper doesnt completely line up.

The power windows thing is no biggie to me. It suprised me how much room is inside these things!

I'll try to get some pictures for you guys tommorow.

Cheers for the impressive input!

If it is the white one then it is defintly the facelift model. If it is all white then the owner has probably painted the 'vents' behind the foglight attachment bracket.

That is the one comment I received so much of after I got my car. The back seats are so large compared to other hatches on the market. Even with the front seats completely pushed to the back there is heaps of room.

91'lude
13-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Yeh its only roomy in the front for sure :P

Nup, its like 5 tiny little dints were people opened their doors into it, you dont notice it unless you get it in the right light.

The front bumper isnt extremely dropped, its like, 1cm tops, but its perfect on the other side, i just try to see if everything lines up.

I stops fine with the drums, i doubt id bother with them. This isnt ment to be for sporty driving (it won't be driven slowly though), just something with low KM, which isnt going to need non stop servicing.

Fr3aKi3
13-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Yeh its only roomy in the front for sure :P

Nup, its like 5 tiny little dints were people opened their doors into it, you dont notice it unless you get it in the right light.

The front bumper isnt extremely dropped, its like, 1cm tops, but its perfect on the other side, i just try to see if everything lines up.

I stops fine with the drums, i doubt id bother with them. This isnt ment to be for sporty driving (it won't be driven slowly though), just something with low KM, which isnt going to need non stop servicing.

All that matters is the space at the front, since that's where you'll be!

5 dints, that's expected since the car is like 7 years old. We got our Accord Euro Luxruy brand new in 05, and in a few months there are already scratched from people who can't seem to open their doors properly...

As for the 1cm drop, it could just be that side of the bumper hasn't been screwed on properly or the bumper support/mount has cracked off.

91'lude
13-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Yep, for sure, well to me right now, it seems its either this, or try to get some more $$$ for one of the 5th gen vtir prelude's, which doesnt seem the right option for now, due to the premium fuel, the "big" 2.2L vtec engine, plus i'd be too obsessive to let it get dinted... The civic is seemingly more like the right choice.

Out of interest, how quick do these civics run from 0-100? I didnt rev this one extremely high due to the owner been with me, but if it kept most of its power in the high end, it felt 10 seconds or less.

simbadda54
14-05-2006, 01:57 PM
stock everything it should run the 1/4 in 16.5-17 im pretty sure. i rkn 10.5 grand for it sounds good since it is already colour coded with some sports options

honda_ek4
15-05-2006, 06:37 PM
i've got a honda civic cxi myself, and i reckon its a great car to drive, very reliable for me and looks great.i bought it for 7.7, it was dam cheap.