PDA

View Full Version : Hi

tulips
13-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

I've been browsing this forum for sumtime now,, and I've just picked up my6 first ever car! a Hond VTI-L Civic Alabaster Silver, with no extras besides tint & mats.

I was wondering when i sat in my car.. there was this coffee mug type shaped thing in the cup holder,, and it has this what seems to be a tiny gold hole... very tiny ( looks like u can plug it sumwhere)...

Does anyone here have any idea what it is?

Zdster
13-05-2006, 09:14 PM
No idea? Maybe an ipod connection or something?

tulips
13-05-2006, 09:28 PM
i dont know ,, ne1 here with a vti-l get this strange black mug looking thing..

tulips
13-05-2006, 09:30 PM
p.s i was reading the manual :D lol and it said in some vehicles so not sure if i have it ... but there is like this port thing ( auxiliary cable port...) underneath the cigarette lighter... is that true...

thanks all

Fr3aKi3
13-05-2006, 09:45 PM
It's probably and Auxilary Input. If you look on your audio controls you have a button that sayd "Aux" this is to allow you to play audio from different equipment, such as an discman (do people still use these?), mp3 player or laptop.

You could always call up a dealership and ask them, or test it out yourself. Plug any of the above equipent mentioned into the Auxillary port with the correct cables, set the audio system to "AUX", turn on the external signal and if you music that's on the mp3 player/discman/laptop then it's the auxillary port.

Logically it would be the auxillary port, can't seem to think of anything else it could be.

tulips
13-05-2006, 09:58 PM
hmmmm thankss for that i think i need some sort of cable.. My brother bought me a PSP to put in my car so i can see some pics as a slideshow. So i was wondering.. is that a possibility... cos all i want it for is to show pics or sumthing colourfull and bright :D

Fr3aKi3
13-05-2006, 10:20 PM
You should be able to connect the PSP to the Auxillary input via a 3.5mm jack cable.

Something like this:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WA7007&CATID=&keywords=3%2E5mm&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

I don't have a PSP, so i'm not too sure if you can use it to view pictures AND play mp3's at the same time. If you do use the 3.5mm jack cable (both ends must be jacks and not plugs) then you should be able to use the PSP to play mp3's through the car's audio system, however you won't be able to use the car's skip/rewind/pause functions. The only thing that'll work will be the volume and of course chanding to radio or CD.

If you do use it as a slideshow for pictures and use it at night, just be cautious of cops. They may (probably will) fine you for it, something a long the lines of it being a distraction. Same rule applies with in-car DVD players, they're only meant to be played when the car is parked with the handbrake up (although there are ways of getting around this).

tulips
14-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Hey thanks great description ! well im going out today to make my car look glitzy! :-D and thats on the shopping list. and so is offcourse sum nice cute thing that i will be hanging near the front mirror. sum car scent. sum wax or sumthing lol n a psp holder or sumfin .

hope this doesnt cost me too much

tulips
14-05-2006, 07:12 AM
p.s that picture in the above link is that an audio jack?

Fr3aKi3
14-05-2006, 09:43 AM
p.s that picture in the above link is that an audio jack?

yup, or more specifically 3.5mm plug.

Since the PSP and your car are both 3.5mm sockets, you'll need a cable which has plugs on both ends.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44666d2f03e425a82740c0a87f9c0725/Product/View/C1159
That picture there shows a cable with both a plug and a socket, the one you're after is a cable where both ends are plugs (metal sticking out with 2 black rings around it). There are various types of 3.5mm plug cables, differences would me Mono or Stereo and what they're made of. Get a stereo cable, as for getting a normal one or a gold plated one... personally i think either would be fine but if your more pedanticabout quality then get a gold plated one.

These cables are also available in many places Dick Smith, Tandy, Jaycar, Myer (some), David Jones (some), JB Hifi, Strathfield Car Radio, possibly Kmart, Big W and Target as well. Any store which sells home theatre systems should have the cable available.

nugget666
14-05-2006, 09:46 AM
post some pics up. would give us better idea.