PDA

View Full Version : Putting Bigger wheels on a Stock car

Spoon-Accord
23-09-2003, 10:05 PM
hello all guys...
as some of u guys might noe.. i got stockies..
i am about to purchase some new rims called Racing Hart M5 Evo Monoblocks..

currently they're are 15's on my car.. and i'll be upgrading to 18's..

can someone please give me a good idea wat i'd need to prepare my car to fit these kinda rims...

i have heard i will be needing new springs and shocks..
maybe also a camber kit(i dunno wat they do)

so if anyone has done this b4 please feel free to drop a line

thankz guys

Ken

vti-2
23-09-2003, 10:24 PM
If you are at stock ride height i doubt you will need to do much.

To give you an idea mine is dumped about 2.5-3-inches with the factory shocks and no camber kit and it rides fine. I only get slight rubbing when i have a full car load and there isn't significant camber. I didn't even have to roll the guards!

It depends on your suspension setup and how much room there is under the guards...

wynode
23-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Just so you know, if your car didn't come from the factory (even as an option) with 15s, then 18s are defectable.

vti-2
23-09-2003, 10:31 PM
That's right. In Victoria you can only increase the wheel size by 2-inches from the stock size.

Spoon-Accord
23-09-2003, 10:34 PM
are u for real??
hrrmz...
does that mean i cant get those wheels????
my car comes stock 15's factory
umm.. its stock height and everything

and vti-2
i have seen ur car in real life before.. even torked to u.. u came to my house not long ago cause i bought that pink amp off yah hhahaha

i need help bad..
i dont like 17's they abit small
thats why i wanted 18's.. but if i am gonna get defected.. what am i supposed to do???

Ken

wynode
23-09-2003, 10:36 PM
If your car came with an option of 16s from the factory, then you may be able to put 18s on their provided you go with really low profile tyres on the 18s.

But 18s are way too big for the accord. I'd go with 17s and then drop it a few inches.

Spoon-Accord
23-09-2003, 10:39 PM
yo reckon???

hrrmz...
i love 18's...
but... i think u guys are right..
17's are the way to go...
better be safe then sorry

or i was thinking making my stock wheels black...
i dunno.. totally lost

Help need!!

vti-2
23-09-2003, 10:41 PM
18's aren't too big for an Accord and they look great. poid runs 18's on his and he has dumped that pretty low. There was also a green Accord in Melbourne at the car show last year (GLO) who had it literally dumped on the ground (driven like that too apparently). The only problem with them is they are heavy, but if you want the car to look good then 18's is the go.

Just be warned it's illegal and if you tell the insurance company they might cancel your policy. It's a risk you will have to take, don't forget that!

A'PEXi
23-09-2003, 10:45 PM
ok, well what happens is you are meant to go 2" bigger than stock, if you go any bigger, it is still legal, you will just have to get them checked.... make sure you have a bit of room left between the wheels and the guards... if you have stock springs, not sure if it will be a problem as stock springs are fairly high... lowering the car will cause problems... new springs needed to lower, and shocks eventually... might need the guards rolled, and a camber kit will allow your wheels to turn at an angle when turning so they dont hit up against the guards...

wynode
23-09-2003, 10:50 PM
If you get 18s your will HAVE to get lower profile tyres. Don't quote me on this, but i've been told that you can go upto 2" larger than the stock wheels provided the roling diameter doesn't increase by 15%.

If you are going to lower it, then do it properly and get good shocks to go with the new springs, spring rates.

If you do lower it, you will need a camber kit as you will have too much negative camber as a result of lowering it on an IRS system. Then again that depends on how much you lower it.

Spoon-Accord
23-09-2003, 10:55 PM
dam u have to prepare alot for just rims...

well i have decided i am gonna go for stock rims...
paint em Black.. and keep the original JDM look i had in mind...
i might purchase some springs and also some shocks...

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/26018/p/471122_1626938326257805591_v.jpg

vti-2
23-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Yeah, do that Ken. Dump the Accord man... you know you want to!

Spoon-Accord
23-09-2003, 11:01 PM
hahaha i do... wat u think of the picture my friend?? does that look pimp or wat hahaha...
i think i gotta get some headlights.. those black housing ones.. tinted windows.... remove the gay spoiler
black badges... yum yum

anyone got any suggestions????

Ken

vti-2
23-09-2003, 11:04 PM
We'll discuss on Friday, just make sure you bring her to the meet. :)

Spoon-Accord
23-09-2003, 11:13 PM
i cant... i dont have my god damed license :(

i am still underaged man...
i hate being 17.. 3 more months!!!!
thats why i hate 17 inch wheels

hahaha

yeh i'll be at the mett with Toe..
gonna see all u guys cars.. and get some ideas on how to make my car very very JDMish..

hey vti-2 add me to ur msn bruva.. anyone else who wants to add me.. feel free to.. cause i need some advice ETC...

kaza6@hotmail.com

Ken

Teggy-Vtir
24-09-2003, 09:23 AM
no license yet??
who owns the accord?? ur parents?

poid
24-09-2003, 05:23 PM
OK here goes:

18's are the minimum i'd be putting on the accord, 17's are just too small for a larger car.

You can dump it on stock shocks with just springs, but the ride will be soooooooo much better if you go with good aftermarket shocks (as should be known here by now i love and recommend Koni)

Camber kits will reduce the negative camber, but there is a catch. If you are low enough, installing a camber kit to correct camber may mean you will need to pump the guards so that the rims dont rub. Also you may have issues with the upper control arm hitting the fender. For these reasons i dont use camber kits...so far the rear tyres are wearing perfectly (which i find amazing) but the fronts are wearing about an inch wide stip on the inside of each tyre. The front tyres lasted 8 months before i swapped them around, so they should last another 8 or so (i do like corner quite hard at times though). I have around -3 degrees of camber, though as long as your alignment is good the wear isnt too bad.

I have 18x8" (+40 offset) wheels with 215/35 rubber, they fit perfectly without any modifcations needed even with the lowered ride height and have not scrubbed at all on anything.

toE
24-09-2003, 06:46 PM
8" on 215 rubber?!?

i have 7.5" on 225 rubber and i feel sometimes it just might come off during cornerings.. :lol:

but i was told 8" will do some rubbing when turning...hmm..wrong info i guess.

what springs u use mate??

Teggy-Vtir
24-09-2003, 08:41 PM
i had it bad with my civic, it was 3" all round, with a set of 17" wheels
well d front was under my guards of course and it was wearin out quite fast coz of the negative camber
2 tyres at the front only lasted me maximum of 5 months or so til they start to go bold on the inside

Calvo
24-09-2003, 09:36 PM
i personally am goin for 17's, but its common for accord to be put on 18's and 19's.
they r quite a big car so its alrite. as with legality, ur only allowed 2in more than stock, but its highly unlikely u'll get done for them if ur drivin normally etc, unless u meet nasty cops or cops who r out to defect ppl. if u be nice to the cops, u'll get the same in return.

wynode
24-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Haha......driving 'nicely' cops will still notice 18s :)

Speaking of defects......my friend got pulled over at an RBT and one of the things they defected him for was "Exhaust too BIG" Not too loud, but too BIG!!

He called up the RTA and they said there's no such thing!

Sorry, back on track. :)

poid
24-09-2003, 10:50 PM
ahhh well being in the ACT we have better laws, so my 18's are perfectly legal :lol:

I havent yet ever been questioned by the police about my ride height or the wheels. I put that down to not driving like a dickhead, cos i cant understand what else it could be. They've had plenty of chances to get me.

yep 215's on 8" rims...if i put 225's on they would rub on the suspension. The +40 offset means they are about 5mm from the suspension and about that away from the guards in the rear. The fronts arent tucked into the guards, but have ample room as well. I use Kmac springs, they are specified as 2.5" lowered and 60% stiffer but no one i tell believes me when i say 2.5" lowered.

If you have 17's on an accord it really has to be decked IMO, ad considering on 18's they already go low enough its prolly tempting fate to deck it as i am thinking you have to :)

Calvo
24-09-2003, 11:27 PM
damn man lowerin it 2.5in plus puttin on 18's without rollin guards, u my friend r insane :D my car is frickin low already, and it stock with stock 15's. i wanna go 17's coz im not really going for looks. i wanna concentrate on doin engine mods etc. looks wise, just wheels and lowered. maybe in the future i will a kit on it etc, but for now it aint happenin.
ive also heard 18's/19's hurt on performance, is this true?

toE
25-09-2003, 12:39 AM
....ive also heard 18's/19's hurt on performance, is this true?

the only logical reason that i can think of is is cos of the wheels' weight..other than that...don't c y it should hurt performance. unless u can can titanium or platinum wheels in those sizes...light yet strong kinda metals...

toE
25-09-2003, 12:44 AM
....would rub on the suspension. ...

if it's rubbing, would d sound be like a squeaking sound?? cos dat's what i'm experiencing rite now. tot maybe it is the springs...

vti-2
25-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by toE:
the only logical reason that i can think of is is cos of the wheels' weight..other than that...don't c y it should hurt performance. unless u can can titanium or platinum wheels in those sizes...light yet strong kinda metals...

That would cost mega dollars, which is why people stick to light-weight 16" racing rims.

if it's rubbing, would d sound be like a squeaking sound??

Yeah, that depends on where it's rubbing. If it rubs all the time it's not a good sign. If it is just when you are turning then it's probably just your turning circle that's stuffed... :lol:

toE
25-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by toE:

That would cost mega dollars, which is why people stick to light-weight 16" racing rims.

DUH Dude!! :lol:

if it's rubbing, would d sound be like a squeaking sound??

Yeah, that depends on where it's rubbing. If it rubs all the time it's not a good sign. If it is just when you are turning then it's probably just your turning circle that's stuffed... :lol:

why is it not a good sign if it's all the time??

poid
25-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Squeaking sound could be anything though. Could be the springs squeaking, if its all the time it could be fouling the suspension though if it was you could easily tell by looking at the wheel/tyre and suspension (there would be noticable marks where things are rubbing).

I have this kinda whining noise all the time when lowered, i think its the wheel bearings not liking the height. But it goes away when raised back to stock it doesnt seem to be doing anything too bad or any permanaent damage :)

The weight of the wheels will hurt performance most definitely. Otherwise, wheels that are a larger rolling diameter overall would also hurt since you need more torque to get them going (this isnt very noticable).

That said, 215/35 18 tyres have a slightly smaller rolling diameter than the stockies so its only weight that is an issue. I could definitely feel the difference between having 18" chromies on and even the non-chromies i have now, which are still heavier than the stockies.

A'PEXi
25-09-2003, 09:46 AM
i suggest you go jdm style and save the trouble of buying big 18"/19" rims, guards rolled, camber etc... if you've already had the thought of doing a jdm cord.... some suggestions could be like a exhaust system, (insert some engine modifications according to engine model)... cf hood, have some gunmetal volks, or some black enkei's.. any jdm rims will do.. black sprayed rims do look good sometimes, but use matt black :)... lower it a bit, have a oem/jdm lip kit... jdm black housing headlights, shaved badges.. and the list goes on

toE
25-09-2003, 06:14 PM
sigh..gotta have em checked..sigh..things to do!!!

Spoon-Accord
25-09-2003, 09:27 PM
okay guys.. i decided on 18's...
Racing Hart M5 EVO's
one problem is that.. if i crash the car... will the insurance insure me???
2. will it look like a 4wd with lowered springs???
3.wat tyre size and ratings i should use???
4. do u guys think i should get 18's?? i saw 17's on my car.. looked funny...

thankz guys.. apreciate u guys reading this thread :D

Ken

poid
25-09-2003, 10:21 PM
OK first thing is first, check with the RTA about the legalities of the wheels. If they arent legal straight up, you might be able to get them engineered so they are fine. If you can get them engineered, next step is to call around a few insurers and see what quotes you will get.

If you put 18's on a stock accord, it'll look BAD. Lowered springs are a must.

Tyre size depends on the width of the rim, but you are safe using 215/35's on 18's

Its up to you whether you wanna get them...insurance can be a hassle and its worth making sure its legal. Though hopefully Vic cops are like ACT ones and dont pull accords over for some reason :D

Spoon-Accord
26-09-2003, 06:39 PM
thankz alot poid...

has anyone here put 18's on??? and they are legalised????
would be easier if someone could share thier storys with us..

18's look sexy.. gonna lower it 50mm

and i hope it looks clean :D

Ken

thankz guys...

hope some people share thier storys and more advice

:P

accordpwr
26-09-2003, 07:11 PM
I have 17" racing harts m5 on my accord. When I put the tanabe springs on it looks excellent. The springs lowers the car by 50mm. 18's are difinitely illegal and can be defected if the cops chooses to. But most important check with your insurance co. if you are covered or not. 18's are too big for me but I must admit they look better than 17's.

ICVCI
03-10-2003, 05:11 PM
i got 18s on my civic

215 / 35 ZR 18

it rubs with people in the back...

have been pulled over before at St Kilda marina, and all they did was check to see if there was much clearance with arches and tyre. to tell you the truth, its totally personal preference when it comes to rims.

remember not to get lost in the moment for styling your car, i have seen an accord with chromies and a T wing[ definite no no] ... btw, wat kind of style are u after with your car? race, cruizer, all round?