PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions...need info on dc5r

chop
29-04-2004, 11:16 AM
hi ppl, this is my first post. thinking of getting a dc5r soon. :?:
currently owning a rex, so i know nothing bout honda. i d like to get some info about dc5r before deciding to buy. :?:

so, here are my questions:
1. it seems that everyone s saying that oz spec dc5r is not type R, what does it mean? the jdm typeR is not using the K20A, is this rite?
2. i sat in my friend's dc2r before and i could feel the vtec rush after about 6000 rpm. now since dc5r is not a typeR, does it still have the "vtec" feeling after about 6000 rpm? same feeling? less rush?
3. does dc5r respond well to minor mods? requires any tuning (ecu upgrade) for any mod? e.g. catback, air intake?
4. do we have the jap spec dc5r in oz? (coz i can remember there are a few jap spec dc2r around here - the ones with the square head light)
5. any other issues about dc5r? drawbacks? e.g. gearbox? clutch? etc...
6. where can i get more info about dc5r?

i guess that's all my questions. and thanks very much in advance :)

Jim80y
29-04-2004, 01:18 PM
1. Oz DC5R is down on power, about 15kw less then JDM. We also dont get the Brembos, 17in wheels and several other things the JDM model has.
2. DC5R doesnt have a more abrupt vtec crossover compared to the DC2 as it has way more torque down low.
3. DC5R responds amazingly well to minor breathing mods.
4. There is one JDM DC5R I know of.... but it was a major hassle getting it road registered, but worth it I think.
5. It's an inferior car to the DC2R (in some respects :P)
6. www.clubrsx.com - head to the Australian section of the forum

A'PEXi
29-04-2004, 01:32 PM
1. jap spec dc5r is tuned differently also has a few goodies such as brembo's, 17's and so on... one reason being fuel differences...
2. havent been in a dc2r but the dc5r tends to be smoother not a sudden pull.... at approx 5-6k
3. i think if you do i/h/e along with the hondata (blkcrx) on the forums, should be able to point you in the right direction as they are producing the hondata for the dc5 atm.
4. no
5. they're taking them out of the honda range in oz, better get one soon :D
6. try www.clubrsx.com

A'PEXi
29-04-2004, 01:33 PM
just a correction to 4... yes there is a jdm dc5r in aus, but i think its the only 1.... will be featured in autosalon magazine soon?.... and yes there are a few jdm dc2r's but they are either rebuilds or personal imports.

mo
29-04-2004, 02:15 PM
just a correction to 4... yes there is a jdm dc5r in aus, but i think its the only 1.... will be featured in autosalon magazine soon?.... and yes there are a few jdm dc2r's but they are either rebuilds or personal imports.

I know of two JDMS, one is in VIC and one is in NSW.

Tofu
29-04-2004, 02:46 PM
yah there are 2 JDM DC5R running around
the DC5R is a hard car to drive well in...

A'PEXi
29-04-2004, 04:33 PM
havent heard much of the other, any details?

mo
29-04-2004, 04:42 PM
havent heard much of the other, any details?

Talking to me? If yes, which one you talking about ? lol

ArSe
29-04-2004, 04:52 PM
i own a dc2r and have driven a dc5r there is a difference in the kick when the vtec comes in but it really depends what you want. for straight runs the kick feels better but with the smoother vtec its well i think more appropriate for the track..... just my opinion.

hope that helps.

ow yeah if rumours are true, the DC5 type R is going to stop production in Oz

mugsee
29-04-2004, 05:12 PM
According to Honda Australia (thx Haeden), their dropping the Integra line as a whole by the end of this year so you'd better hurry quick fast in finding yourself a DC5r.

As for the breathing mods and mods overall, Honda's are terrible when you try to mod them because they're already highly tuned from factory. Comparing this to a turbo car where you do do an exhaust and get a 15kw increase or something like that, the dc5r just doesn't fair up - although we ARE talking about a NA car here and i guess I shouldn't be comparing apples to pears - although thats what your comparing it against (your rex).
The DC5r has more potential than the DC2r because its newer technology and the Australian version has already been detuned already, so theres a bit more leeway for modding.

The only complaint that comes to mind with DC5rs is that sometimes the syncros on gear 2 + 3(?) go and need rebuilding - although this should be covered by Honda warranty.

cheebye
29-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey chop, I too came from a wrx.. a highly modded one, that is :D

currently own a DC5R (local one) and can give u some advice!

if ur really used to turbo's then give it a long hard think unless you REALLY want the type-r. reason I say that is cause I am finding it VERY hard to adjust to NA and need to drive it hard (above 6,000rpm) to re-assure myself of the power :P

overall, you will find that the honda has superior build quality, engine and gearbox over the subaru and drives like a dream. Handling is awesome with sharp precise turn-in, but only thing I miss about the rex is the 4wd grip especially on rainy conditions where the fwd of the honda looses out on.

Otherwise, I luv the car, no regrets whatsoever but just bear in mind if ur after something as quick as the rex in terms of take off and acceleration, I suggest u look for something else as u might be disappointed. else, go to ur honda dealer and sign the papers! :D

vti-2
29-04-2004, 05:25 PM
According to Honda Australia (thx Haeden), their dropping the Integra line as a whole by the end of this year so you'd better hurry quick fast in finding yourself a DC5r.

:shock:

That is definitely BIG news! Is this 100% confirmed?

skoota
29-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Do you mean they're getting rid of the Integra completely, or just the Type R? I heard that is was just the Type R... :?

vti-2
29-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Opps! Sorry for hi-jacking your thread chop.

Let's keep this on topic people. I'll start a new thread for my question. 8)

wynode
29-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Do you mean they're getting rid of the Integra completely, or just the Type R? I heard that is was just the Type R... :?This was on the www.ozhonda.com news page!

Read more here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5116

mugsee
29-04-2004, 07:56 PM

:shock:

That is definitely BIG news! Is this 100% confirmed?

Yeah, haeden from clubrsx called a Honda rep to speak to them about something and they basically told him that their discontinuing the integra line (not just the type R) here in Australia. :| He even called back again just to make sure they weren't fooling around with him.

mo
29-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Hrmm this is actually very interesting. Is there a date where they will stop taking orders for any of the integras?

CJL
29-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Get a dc5r while their still around I was considering on getting a wrx test drove one and all drive my old mans a lot but then I got in a dc5r it was love at first site

Reasons why I like her:
Cause one it feels likes its on rails apart from when it’s raining, also it is built beautifully 8)

fransisqo
02-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Can't go wrong with a DC5. I have a base one but it feels fast! Plus, Honda build quality is top notch. Also, it looks damn SEXY :D :D :D