PDA

View Full Version : jdm crx engine check light

qstoria
14-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Hey anyone got any ideas how to check the error codes for a crx sir ef8? is it the same as the DIY for 92-00 civics and 94-00 integras?

i have seen the thread and tried this in my car but i get no error code. this may sound like a good thing but the check engine light has come on. it only comes on when in vtec is engaged. first happened today driving on highway and then i have jsut come back and it has come on again. 3rd gear vtec. car doesnt feel any different either.

main thing i need to know is the same DIY technique used to check for codes on the OBD0 jdm b16a ecu?

any thoughts?

thanks

qstoria
15-05-2006, 09:35 AM
ok so ill reply to my own thread...

EF8 ecu check is a bit easier i found out. pull carpet back from passengers feet and a red flashing light can be seen through a small peephole sort of thing. error code 22 - vtec pressure valve. now to sort out fixing that.

any ideas, thoughts comments, assistance even..

CRXer
15-05-2006, 11:51 AM
-Reset ecu,ie pull the ecu fuse in engine bay & replace after 10-20 secs
-Warm up engine and go for drive with ecu open to view
-take revs to vtec range
-check for code 22 again
-repeat a couple of times to make sure

If code doesnt appear then check wiring.Remove pressure switch plug.Check continuity to engine ground from pressure switch plug on one wire and also from plug to ecu on other,think it goes back to B5 on OBD0 but check colour both ends in any case.Check for short to ground on ecu wire while your at it(shouldnt be grounded).If ok....
Check pressure switch terminals are closed,ie continuous with engine off
Check for about 15-30ohms on vtec solenoid valve while your there to see if coil is ok ie 1 pin connector removed,between terminal & engine ground.

If above ok or code appeared while driving then you need to check ecu,operation of switch under load,internal cond of solenoid valve etc,which needs oil pressure guages, new seals etc & above all, mechanical know how which i dont have,sorry.

RMN15N
15-05-2006, 02:08 PM
before you do anything.. does vtec work correctly?
check the oil.

Dxs
15-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Check check:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38562

Ended up being my vtec pressure switch
i replaced the the whole vtec assembly with a second hand unit and that solved the problem.

Other things could be:
low oil pressure
the vtec assembly needs cleaning
wire to pressure switch has an issue

RMN15N
15-05-2006, 02:16 PM
low oil pressure.. i got somthing right for once.. lol

qstoria
15-05-2006, 03:40 PM
vtec working still working. car feels fine. the check engine light has not appeared again this morning on way to work or at lunch when i went out. had a friend in passenger seat to check the code for me and its still putting out code 22. when im home ill check more thouroughly and repost.

thanks guys

qstoria
15-05-2006, 09:17 PM
oil level was low so i have topped it up now. did full oil change 4500km ago so im a bit suprised at how low it was. checked the vtec solenoid unit and all seemed clean. no multimeter to check any wiring etc yet but thanks for those tips CRXer.

i saw the thread u linked Dxs and my unit looks exactly the same as yours iwth only one wire to the vtec solenoid.

im hoping its just the low oil level that caused a lack of oil pressure like you suggest RMN15N. by the way i'm pretty sure i saw your car on saturday at GPC? red eg with black bonnet?

ECU is reset so when ive taken it for a drive ill post the outcome (final outcome hopefully)

thanks

CRXer
15-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Wow,very hi tech method for chekin your oil level,with an ecu code...
i always just use the dip stick.
Owning a vtec especially,i assumed you already knew how important your oil is to your car,glad it was a cheap fix,but it wont be next time if u dont keep ur eye on the ecu code......i mean...dip stick...

j3z3z
15-05-2006, 10:01 PM
yes always service your vtec and to be safe do it within 500ks of the 5000k service. also always check engine oil level at the start of every morning. and once you drive to work. stop and check agian when car is warm.

RMN15N
15-05-2006, 10:41 PM
oil level was low so i have topped it up now. did full oil change 4500km ago so im a bit suprised at how low it was. checked the vtec solenoid unit and all seemed clean. no multimeter to check any wiring etc yet but thanks for those tips CRXer.

i saw the thread u linked Dxs and my unit looks exactly the same as yours iwth only one wire to the vtec solenoid.

im hoping its just the low oil level that caused a lack of oil pressure like you suggest RMN15N. by the way i'm pretty sure i saw your car on saturday at GPC? red eg with black bonnet?

ECU is reset so when ive taken it for a drive ill post the outcome (final outcome hopefully)

thanks

yeah thats my car.. my brother works there so yeh its always there

dsp26
15-05-2006, 10:49 PM
oh yeah...speaking of oil pressure since you guys have the luxury of vtec and all...

i'm sure you guys realise that oil viscosity reduces over time/useage hence oil pressure is also decreased. if anything i would have though ALL VTEC owners would change their oils/filters every 5000KMs the same as Turbo people?!?!

qstoria
15-05-2006, 10:52 PM
lesson learnt. oil was changed bout 4000km ago so thought id have a bit more left in it. hadn't checked for a few days and it showed me up in this case. jsut taken car out for bout half an hour and all good so far. no more codes. look forward to changing the oil this weekend too.

thanks for everyones help with this one, hopefully it will help others in the future who like to use the more "technical" way of checking their engine oil levels.