PDA

View Full Version : problem with brakes

roar
14-05-2006, 04:35 AM
hi sometimes when coming to a complete stop under gentle braking (ie in heavy traffic etc) i feel the ABS kick in...(pedal shuddering)

this happens rarely and its definitely ABS and not warped rotors...

i was wondering what could cause this and how bad this is

i've checked the ABS on a flat road and it is working fine...

car is an ek4

thanks alot

Zdster
14-05-2006, 05:38 AM
I hear what you are saying and I am no technical expert (ie I am just throwing this out there) but maybe your master cylinder is on the way out? Anyway, just a thought.

Slow96GSR
14-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Check the fluid level in the ABS unit. Also make sure fluid is topped off all around. If that doesn't work have a tech check the ABS system.

|N|
14-05-2006, 08:19 AM
does this happen during cold or warm?
or both?

bennjamin
14-05-2006, 10:41 AM
does the steering wheel very slightly wobble in relation to this "shuddering" too ?
IF u want Noel come around and check ur brake pads...might be slightly warped on one side (catching?!)

NogZ
14-05-2006, 04:54 PM
har har har mistaken identity benny :p

although i did consider that ek when it was on carsales :) very nice too

Back on topic, how often per day or per week does it happen? Check ABS fluids -> Get a mech to check

roar
14-05-2006, 05:17 PM
happens indiscriminately...usually in peak hour traffic...slowly coming to stops at intersections etc...

i'll check fluid levels/pads etc...thanks =)

roar
15-05-2006, 11:25 PM
hi, just a thought....theres no ABS light shown on dash...so i was thinking mebbe the problem could be wheel sensors??

i'll do a ecu test tomorrow

NogZ
16-05-2006, 01:15 AM
hehe yeah dude you should get the orange ABS light up when the ABS kicks in

check ECU -> do you mean getting CEL code?

roar
03-06-2006, 05:39 PM
yer i finally did that ecu test lol

i got codes 54 and 61 with the ABS light...(thankfully engine light was off :) )

does anyone know what these codes mean? (looking at ECU-MAN)

thanks alot

CRXer
03-06-2006, 06:11 PM
54-Fail safe relay
61-Ignition voltage

Poor supply voltage I imagine could give rise to probs in the fail safe relay,so i'd be eyeing off the charging system(alternator,battery) or anything that could be causing a voltage dropoff at the time of the event(if car working normally otherwise) such as faulty brake lights or similar.