PDA

View Full Version : ok I have confused my self when lookign at new wheels.

nugget666
14-05-2006, 09:37 AM
ok I have found to sets of wheels i like.

one can be purchased in a 17 x 6.5 will have either 205/40 or 195/40

the other wheel is a 16 x 6.5 will have either 205/45 or 195/45

car will be lowerd around 50mm. I am tthinking jsut springs at the moment and get shocks later on.

my question is i like the bigger size wheel. But am i going to have troubles with scrubing? even though its a 6.5' wide rim. and im going 50mm lower.

would geting the 195 rubber elimate any scrubing as its going to be a little less wider.

nugget666
14-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Also will i have any camber issues?

Limbo
14-05-2006, 10:31 AM
if you have stock suspension then yes you will have slight camber issues, nothing major. You can get camber kits to adjust this or it will be livable only slight wear on inside.

205/40 should just fit without scrubbing. I'm running 205/55/15 and they only scrub when i corner very hard. You can take out the plastic guards and that will fix the problem.

nugget666
14-05-2006, 10:34 AM
So when i lowerd the car and got a wheel alignment. that would get rid of some of the camber?

also another question.. my car is stock 40mm offset correct so i need to find a rim with 40mm offset?

If i were to get 195/40 i should be pretty sweet with no scruabge? with a 50mm drop

Centurius
14-05-2006, 01:33 PM
my suggestion would be to get it lowered, and then when you go to look at tyres, get them to fit the 17, and see how much clearance you have... my CRX has 17x7's on it, and does not scrub whatever i do to it, but it isn't lowered that far.

how physical are you likely to get with cornering? 195/40/R17's shouldnt be too much of a problem 95% percent of the time, unless you drive like me ;)

nugget666
14-05-2006, 01:50 PM
corners wont be full sick d1 style.

how low is your car? what sort od drop did you get?

SiReal
14-05-2006, 06:25 PM
ALL Honda vehicles when lowered any amount other than stock height will have camber issues. Stock suspension does not cause this. Stock suspension WILL die quicker when lowered with springs only, which Nugget, in your case, is different (because u got Konis..I remember) SO... Go get a alignment, get a print out, and ask the alignment ppl if the camber is in factory spec. If so, then there is no need for camber kit.

Reason why we all camber when lowered is because Hondas dont have rear adjustable control arms for camber. Just fronts.

If your camber is out, and you want to minimise tyre wear, even after adjusting TOE, then get a camber kit. Once put on, re-align.

DO NOT take out the plastic guards. They are there for a reason. Namely, to protect what is inside/beneath the door panels. You may have rust issues because dirt/grease will build up. With 17"s or 16"s , there will NOT be a need to take the guards out. Only something stupid like 18" or 19".

50mm = 2" = not very much dude. So I wouldn't be worrying, more so now that you have aftermarket shocks.

Ask yourself, 17" = a bit slower accel, looks nicer OR 16" = same or very simliar accel, cheaper tyres, not as pimp but more practical. I would go 16 if I were you.

Your car is stock +45 offset (I had the same car) and that was 14x5.5". So anything below that should be good. Keep it to the region of 38 - 45ish.

Any thing else, keep asking. Best to get it right, legal, and be happy, the first time.

HTH

SiReal

nugget666
14-05-2006, 06:55 PM
my sussy is stock.

I have found rims that are 16 x 7 38+ offset.. i would probly run a 205/45

would i have troubles with it being 50mm in drop? probly jsut on springs for hte time being.

Nodachi
14-05-2006, 07:11 PM
205/45 will not rub but however, 205/50/16 will rub.. i have those tires on the car before and it's rubbing when you turn, when u stop or even when someone sits @ the back. when i change to 205/45/16 it's all good. this is with the 2" drop with pedders springs. err as far as i know there is no 195/45/16 tyre size (please correct me if i'm wrong. i've been told by tempe tyres and bridgestone hurstville regards this).

nugget666
14-05-2006, 07:16 PM
o ok well then i would have to get 205/45

what offset are you rims do you know if 38 will fit with no rubbage?

Nodachi
14-05-2006, 07:20 PM
i think mine rims are +40 ( danny u can correct me of this is ur reading this:P) and there is no issue of rubbing.. anythin <+40 should be fine. be sure that ur rim package comes with caps, rings to make ur rim fit in place and LOCK NUTS! u wouldn't know how much trouble me and my friend went though because his set of rims did not come with nuts >.<

nugget666
14-05-2006, 07:22 PM
i think mine rims are +40 ( danny u can correct me of this is ur reading this:P) and there is no issue of rubbing.. anythin <+40 should be fine. be sure that ur rim package comes with caps, rings to make ur rim fit in place and LOCK NUTS! u wouldn't know how much trouble me and my friend went though because his set of rims did not come with nuts >.<

caps as in center wheel cap? what do you mean by rings?

Nodachi
14-05-2006, 07:28 PM
because it's after market rims, the center of the rim (the hole) may not match with ur hub (the circle bit that sticks out) and usually there would be a gap. It may not seems to be a big issue when u look at it and tighten it well with nuts, but expert says if ur running around without the "ring" to make it in place, it may knock the rim out of place from the vibration when ur traveling. having this ring will reduce the problem by holding the rim in place with the circle bit of ur rim. you will see this on some car when u take out the rim, the mechanic knock the metal ring out to check the hub.

yes the center cap, a look out cause some package don't have it.