PDA

View Full Version : b18 overheating problem

BIG`O
14-05-2006, 06:28 PM
After searching the forums on something similar and reading up, i have decided to post up.

Just recently i have noticed my temp gauge creeping a little higher then the normal "halfway" mark. it goes to 3/4's and then i turn heater on and get it back down to 3/8'ths. On idle the engine fan doesn't come on - even at 3/4 temp. so something is wrong there.

would modifying the air intake arm have any effect on this??
around town it seems fine but on the highway it creeps up quite rapidly, even in the cold.

anyway if anyone has any suggestion feel free to forward them.
thanks in advance
Shane O

Zilli
14-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey man,

theres a couple of things you can check here, if the fan is not coming on check the fuse and see if its busted for a start because thats a major issue... if the fuse is ok and the fan sint coming on i suggest taking it to an electrician asap

if your on the highway my understanding would be that because of the airflow the heat would stay down unless your giving it heaps... is your thermo working?

turn the car on without the cap on the radiator and let the car warm up, when the thermo opens up you will notce the coolant moving... if its not moving then your thermo is stuffed...

also, wash your radiator out, run a hose through the fins to get the gunk out, maybe your radiator is clogged inside as well, maybe a flush will help...

shit this is getting complicated hehehe sorry man, but if you take a look at these key things and get back to us we might be able to help more

i dont think the intake changes will make a difference dude...but dont drive the car too much if it shooting up like that

let us know

BIG`O
14-05-2006, 07:01 PM
yeah planned on checking fuses.
will go do now and let you know in 10 mins.

edit: my fusebox doesn't label each fuse on top. so i have no idea which is which:confused:

Zilli
14-05-2006, 07:09 PM
yeah planned on checking fuses.
will go do now and let you know in 10 mins.

edit: my fusebox doesn't label each fuse on top. so i have no idea which is which:confused:

i think its the one on the top right when your looking at the firewall, yellow fuse...

anyone else here can help with that... my cars outside and i got some ice on my knee

BIG`O
14-05-2006, 07:11 PM
will go check that one ^_^

BIG`O
14-05-2006, 07:28 PM
ok. all fuses in that box are sweet as.
any suggestions???

Stoosh
14-05-2006, 07:46 PM
i had an overheating problem with my VTi-R, i found out that the radiator cap was leaking and i was loosing all my coolant..first time i ever heard of anything like that

BIG`O
14-05-2006, 08:35 PM
true true.
any suggestion's?
top up coolant maybe?

spanks
14-05-2006, 09:35 PM
A faulty thermostat will create a delayed fan operation..coolant will be hotter before fan operates...check by putting hands on both upper and lower radiator hoses.If one is hotter than the other you know the thermostat is faulty..caution when doing this as the hose/hoses will be hot.if fuse is ok then check the relay..just swap it with another that is the same in the relay/fuse box...if that seems ok then remove the plug from the coolant thermo fan temp sensor and bridge the wires...using a split pin in the plug at the loom will do this..if the fans come on then its not electrical...so you know it is a mechanical fault i.e thermostat,low coolant or possibly a blocked radiator or even a corroded water pump impeller..hope this helps

fatboyz39
14-05-2006, 09:37 PM
sounds like a sticky thermostat.

If the fan ain't kicking in that'll be either you have electrical problem, check to see whether the plug is in OR it could be your thermo switch is buggered.

I wouldn't think modifying the intake arm would effect the cooling system unless you pulled a plug out around the thermostat housing and didn't put it back.

check to see if all the electrical plugs are in.

frahmy
15-05-2006, 02:06 PM
i had an overheating problem with my VTi-R, i found out that the radiator cap was leaking and i was loosing all my coolant..first time i ever heard of anything like that

i had that problem with my VTi-R, replaced the cap and it was all good again.
not to sure on ur problem shane, hope all gets better and no damage was caused.

Frahmy

BIG`O
15-05-2006, 05:21 PM
ok. lower hose from radiator nowhere near as hot as upper.
and all plugs seem to be in place. will check relay tomorrow.
should the fan come on at idle once temp reached halfway??
what controls the fan coming on? ie. where's the fan switch?

dsp26
15-05-2006, 10:52 PM
ok. lower hose from radiator nowhere near as hot as upper.
and all plugs seem to be in place. will check relay tomorrow.
should the fan come on at idle once temp reached halfway??
what controls the fan coming on? ie. where's the fan switch?

dude thats a dead giveaway that your thermostat is gone or going. take it out and go for a drive....

fans are turned on by temp sensor signal to ecu.

dsp26
15-05-2006, 10:55 PM
For everyone else
- hose coming off thermostat COLD = thermostat gone
- with rad cap off and water not moving = water pump gone

I think some of you guys should read this (especially posts by "SUNDER"):
http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showthread.php?t=43648

Zilli
16-05-2006, 02:55 PM
thermo is jammed man, its not opening up to allow the coolant to flow around the motor, thats why one hose is hotter than the other

CRXer
16-05-2006, 08:12 PM
fans are turned on by temp sensor signal to ecu.

Rad fan actually turned on by either AC thermostat,ECU(with regard to sensor input) & coolant temp switch(located on thermostat housing cover).All 3 r independent switches.
Coolant temp switch will be the one you might be concerned with here if thermostat ok

nedgeworth
16-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Either thermo like has been said a million times over or you have some serious blockage in your radiator. Take it too red devil or somewhere and get them to test it for you.