PDA

View Full Version : what is the lowest and largest offset you can go on a ek1?

nugget666
14-05-2006, 07:11 PM
i found rims i like that are 16 x 7' 38+mm offset

and a a set of 16 x 6.5 with 40mm offset

i would prefer the 16 x 7' 38+mm offset to fit with no scrubing issues.

But i wouldnt have a clue if it would or not. can anyone comfirm what is the lowerst offset you could go. would 38mm be alright?

chartinael
14-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Well, the stock ET is 45, with an ET 35 and a width of 7.5 you will have to roll the fender edges in the rear. I would think that ET 38-42 are fine without you having to do any body work.

So 16" ET38 with a width of 7 should be fine without any rubbing issues.

My winter wheels are:

15x7.5 ET 35 (I did have to roll rear fenders) w/ 195/50R15

My summer wheels are:

16x7 ET 42 w/ 205/45R16

All clears well.

Kristin

nugget666
14-05-2006, 07:55 PM
you have summer and winter wheels lol???

so if i got the 38+ i should be pretty sweet without rolling or lipping guards or anything.

i will be lowering the car about 50mm

chartinael
14-05-2006, 08:01 PM
My drop is about 4 cm ... I do believe those rims you are aiming for will clear. But I am sure any engineer will check your set up to make sure it is safe. If you want to check prior to going to have rims engineered do the following:

either
-lift car
- let it back down on 2 ie. wintersteelie (diagonally one front right/rear left and vice versa next time around)
or
- drive up on two ramp-thingies diagonally as above

then
- check clearance in back
- check clearance for front wheels turning them one way and then the other

then
- do the whole thing for the other side

Sufficient clearance when fully sprung in means you can take a pencile and stick it between fender walls and tires.

Hope it helps.

Kristin

PS. Make sure the load index of your rims will match your car otherwise no engineer will certify your new rims.

nugget666
14-05-2006, 08:05 PM
wowly shit you confused me haha

i will just got for rims with a 40+

the stuff you said sounds confusing./

chartinael
15-05-2006, 12:10 AM
sorry to have made it sound confusing. All I wanted to let you know is how to tell if your ride is safe after putting on new wheels.

It really is a very easy process. The front right and rear left wheel has to be pushed as far as possible into the chassis and that means that the car needs to be raised on whatever you have and the other to wheels need to dangle loosely in the air. Then you take a pen and check the space between wheels and body. Does a pen fit inbetween, you are good to go, does it not ... not good. For the front you need to completel turn the steering wheel one way and then the other and check every time that there is enough space. Then you repeat process for the other wheels.

Kristin