PDA

View Full Version : reverse mount subs

Stoosh
14-05-2006, 09:55 PM
hey guys

i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if reverse mount subs have to be specifically designed for that purpose, i plan on making a custom boot installation and just wondering whether i need to buy new subs or not, also if my current subs are ok do i need to built a box for the sub to face into?

thanks alot
Stoosh

Jord
14-05-2006, 09:57 PM
the way that u mount the sub doesnt mean shit they sound the same boths ways and u wont need new subs. go to www.caraudioaustralia.com.

-Jord

ICACHA
14-05-2006, 10:30 PM
the way that u mount the sub doesnt mean shit they sound the same boths ways and u wont need new subs. go to www.caraudioaustralia.com.

-Jord

why go to caa? you think that there are people there who know what they are talking about? think again, its full of opinionated kids who know nothing about car audio... on occasion the smart cookie comes on and tells it how it is... thats why you dont see store owners go on forums, they got business's to run not help out with a kindergarden :)

ICACHA
14-05-2006, 10:33 PM
hey guys

i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if reverse mount subs have to be specifically designed for that purpose, i plan on making a custom boot installation and just wondering whether i need to buy new subs or not, also if my current subs are ok do i need to built a box for the sub to face into?

thanks alot
Stoosh

the only difference you will get when reversing the subs is the enclosure size increases and the Q changes due to not having the sub inside it. the you'd need to wire it out of phase to get it to place in phase as it would the right way round.

no you will not need to buy new subs at all, if the box you have now is fine why change it? the old saying, if it aint broken dont fix it :)

Fhrx
15-05-2006, 06:40 AM
why go to caa? you think that there are people there who know what they are talking about? think again, its full of opinionated kids who know nothing about car audio... on occasion the smart cookie comes on and tells it how it is... thats why you dont see store owners go on forums, they got business's to run not help out with a kindergarden :)

There is quite some truth to those comments. :)

mugeneration
15-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Well most subs out there look like crap when reversed anyway. Take pioneers ones for example, their previous series looked like a big speaker when back to front. Their new ones are designed to look good in reverse tho. YOu wont need to buy new subs if you have new ones, but if it looks like crap at the back, just dont do it. Its just a wank thing afterall.

tegboy
21-05-2006, 04:53 PM
^^ I am with Marty and George :)

LEVIN GTV
21-05-2006, 04:56 PM
For a sub to be mounted in reverse, im pretty sure it has to be a "free to air" sub.

For your best bet as Jord said there is a wealth of information on car audio australia, but if you are looking at buying a new set of subs, look for the free to air ones, ive heard they are much more efficient and better sounding for your reverse purpose.

Cheers

TRU32U
21-05-2006, 05:15 PM
dussnt matter as long as you set ur head unit to reverse phase.
so that the bass comes in on time properlly rather then reversed bass.
in other words souds practically same BUT its gotta b phased.

Stoosh
21-05-2006, 05:28 PM
yes my headunit has reverse phase so thats not a problem, so a normal sub wouldnt run as a free to air sub? any posts some links of these types of subs

ICACHA
21-05-2006, 08:07 PM
For a sub to be mounted in reverse, im pretty sure it has to be a "free to air" sub.

i can tell you that your wrong :)

For your best bet as Jord said there is a wealth of information on car audio australia,

the same information that you are sure with that is incorrect?

but if you are looking at buying a new set of subs, look for the free to air ones, ive heard they are much more efficient and better sounding for your reverse purpose.

Cheers

again, another wrong thing you have heard... by any chance was it from that forum you mentioned?

JaCe
22-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Does reverse mounted sub mean the subwoofer is installed backwards, or it's facing rearwards? I'm inclined to think the first but not too sure on tech terminology/jargon.

Fr3aKi3
22-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Does reverse mounted sub mean the subwoofer is installed backwards, or it's facing rearwards? I'm inclined to think the first but not too sure on tech terminology/jargon.

Reverse mounted subs are shown in the pic:
http://www.northfield.bane.com.au/dave001s.jpg

The magnet is shown and the subs front is directed inside the box.

ICACHA
22-05-2006, 08:10 PM
baby got back? hahahahahaha

show us magnets said the boy :p

http://www.billkatz.com/images/ces_pics/ces_subwoofers.jpg

ICACHA
22-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Only smart people can make this setup work properly *ICACHA & FHRX feel their heads growing* :p

http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/images/excel_7.jpg

JaCe
22-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info... Does it sound good 'coz no offence, but I think it looks kindof... weird?

Fr3aKi3
22-05-2006, 09:52 PM
baby got back? hahahahahaha

show us magnets said the boy :p

http://www.billkatz.com/images/ces_pics/ces_subwoofers.jpg

What gear is in that car? That install looks awesome.

ICACHA
23-05-2006, 12:37 AM
you'd have to ask google as thats where i found that example (yellow car)

the silver one (Vibe Excel) has apparently the new Black Air woofers in it and did something like 140 odd Db from what i was told, but I could be wrong...

EuroDude
28-05-2006, 09:43 PM
I hope that excel doesnt fall apart :p

Those phatt silver subs are Planet Audio's BIG BANG series (~1000w peak):
http://www.planetaudiousa.com/home/catalog/public_html/catalog.php?sNs=1&deptNum=4&catNum=20

http://www.planetaudiousa.com/home/catalog/public_html/prod_images/bb_woofer_front_250.jpg

LUD35
30-05-2006, 12:49 AM
audiobarn subs look great in reverse, with the crome flames and shit :D

marte
30-05-2006, 06:55 PM
the dub edition ones?

spetz
19-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Would reverse mounting subs lose a bit of SPL?
As, when reverse mounted the most centre of the sub wouldn't move air?

Where as the front cone would?

Or is the difference so small it is not worth a mention?