PDA

View Full Version : tachometer mounting

honda_ek4
15-05-2006, 09:08 PM
hey guys, im thinking about gettin a tachometer for my honda civic cxi, as they don't come with one stock, i was thinking about mounting it on the dash board right in front of the stock temperature gauge, but there won't enough room for it.. i was thinking about gettin one at the size of at least 3". Any suggestions of where else i can put it which looks nice and won't be to exposed as it is just a tachometer:), is there anyone else here with a ek civic who has put a tachometer in their car and could kindly post up some pix.. thanks all.

Zdster
15-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I have seen everything from planting on top of the dash (above the main centre vents), to being placed inside the drivers side air vent.

Take note that with some road authorities, it is illegal to obstruct the view of your instrument cluster.

djanowaddameen?
15-05-2006, 10:18 PM
hey guys, im thinking about gettin a tachometer for my honda civic cxi, as they don't come with one stock, i was thinking about mounting it on the dash board right in front of the stock temperature gauge, but there won't enough room for it.. i was thinking about gettin one at the size of at least 3". Any suggestions of where else i can put it which looks nice and won't be to exposed as it is just a tachometer:), is there anyone else here with a ek civic who has put a tachometer in their car and could kindly post up some pix.. thanks all.

best to get the tacho first so you get an idea of the dimensions you're working with. 5" tacho is probably too big to me mounted somewhere that won't attract attention. I bought a 3" tacho with shift indicator and mounted it just infront of the temp gauge. it just clears the washer stalk when the steering wheel is at its highest adjustment.

will post a pic when i get a chance.

honda_ek4
15-05-2006, 10:19 PM
thnx alot djanowaddameen?

djanowaddameen?
15-05-2006, 10:31 PM
thnx alot djanowaddameen?

what other mods you intending for your car? short shifter? suspension?

Ryanair
16-05-2006, 01:48 AM
i refer to the above post, go and talk to your local transport auth. Most states have rules in regards to mounting gauges due to injury from accidents having had people hit their heads on them. Having said that, in qld you are able to place a gauge in front of the instrument cluster if it is only obstructing a clock, in front of temp gauge is not permitted.

RC

Limbo
16-05-2006, 09:07 AM
i guess you could get a ek4/ek9 dash and that would solve your problem with that nice stock look.

honda_ek4
16-05-2006, 03:29 PM
suspension next

marte
16-05-2006, 06:36 PM
im gonna hook up my 5" monster this weekend, to the A-Piller, it will pretty much be the same as an ek, if u like i can get pics of every step for ya

honda_ek4
16-05-2006, 06:37 PM
yeh pix would be good.. thanx alot!

civicCXI
16-05-2006, 06:39 PM
marte

post pics if u can, thx

marte
16-05-2006, 06:52 PM
should be uploaded by sat night :)

chunky
16-05-2006, 06:56 PM
on ur sterring wheel =D

nugget666
16-05-2006, 07:47 PM
if i were you i would get a little. 2.5' tacho and stick it to the right of your dash near your a pillar

mrwillz
16-05-2006, 08:07 PM
dont go crazy over it
its jus a rev meter

marte
16-05-2006, 11:14 PM
a rev meter which he doesn't have, his just asking for our input..

CTR Coupe
17-05-2006, 12:20 AM
I wonder if you can fit a GLI-VTI cluster to a CXI and have the tacho work?
Since the ECU still gets a RPM reading I would think that the cluster would still have the plug?
I’d buy a second hand cluster from a VTI or GLI and then get a shift light fitted.

Surrufus
17-05-2006, 11:34 AM
mmm yeh i was thinking of putting a GLi or similar tacho equipped cluster in my car but i thought then that the odometer would then be incorrect :(

civicCXI
17-05-2006, 01:11 PM
get a heads up display

djanowaddameen?
17-05-2006, 11:45 PM
i refer to the above post, go and talk to your local transport auth. Most states have rules in regards to mounting gauges due to injury from accidents having had people hit their heads on them. Having said that, in qld you are able to place a gauge in front of the instrument cluster if it is only obstructing a clock, in front of temp gauge is not permitted.

RC

This is pretty subjective decision. The tacho I have is lightweight (ok plastic), and the way I've mounted it, does not obstruct the view of the dash - especially the temp g. will post a pic soon.

Ah well, if I get nicked then I can easily remove it - tacho is just a rice thing... abit of fun, but doesn'e make me drive any better. In fact I drive better by listening to the engine rather than the shift light.

I dunno whether its worthwhile getting a gli dash installed - just trade in gli instead is easier!

CIVIX
18-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Quick question, does anyone know if it is illegal to mount gauges on the A-Pillar in QLD?

FloodSim
18-05-2006, 04:55 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/floodsim/DSC00797.jpg

Mine: mounted, poorly, on the A-pillar trim.

Surrufus
18-05-2006, 05:31 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/floodsim/DSC00797.jpg

Mine: mounted, poorly, on the A-pillar trim.
awesome
was the tacho hard to install?

FloodSim
18-05-2006, 11:34 PM
was the tacho hard to install?

Nah not really.. Not having pulled my car apart before it took a bit to figure out how to get the trim and everything off. I also had a mate with a multimetre and shit help with the wiring, but after watching what he did i reckon i could do it myself.

I ****ed up when i was drilling the holes to mount it which means its not on the angle i wanted it but meh, i can live with it.

djanowaddameen?
19-05-2006, 12:53 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/80sstun/IMGP1174.jpg

self installed mine, very easy 20 min install, or 1 hr done properly with neat wiring.

Surrufus
19-05-2006, 12:32 PM
how hard is it to wire the tacho up to read the revs?
how do you do that?

djanowaddameen?
19-05-2006, 01:54 PM
its not difficult at all. The leads that came with my tacho were only half a metre long, so I just used some spare speaker cables to make the rest of the cable to the lead in the engine bay and to the cig lighter.

if you got a multimeter, then its really simple. also depends on the type of tacho you get. the more expensive ones have better instructions and better quality cabling.

the hardest part is finding a hole in the firewall to put the cable through, so if you have a stock cxi, you'll need to wedge some existing holes open.

It took me about 1.5 hrs install, I did it all nice and tidy.

FloodSim
19-05-2006, 02:40 PM
The is a hole in the firewall under the carpet up behind the peddels that is easy to get to.
And there is also a wire in the cxi that gives revs but isn't connected to anything, it'll be in a little holder thing on the right hand side of the engine bay near the windscreen. From memory i think it is blue.
There was a site i looked at when i put mine in, i'll try find it.

FloodSim
19-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Ta daaa
http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=333

Surrufus
20-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Ta daaa
http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=333
link doesnt work

FloodSim
20-05-2006, 06:40 PM
link doesnt work

Thats true. It did the other day.. Seems the whole site is down though.

marte
20-05-2006, 11:44 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/marteeee/DSC00276.jpg

heres what mine looks today ill get better pics tomorrow and pics of where i wired everything upon request.

Surrufus
23-05-2006, 04:15 PM
heres what mine looks today ill get better pics tomorrow and pics of where i wired everything upon request.
requesting pics and stuff haha

02ZZI
23-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah its hell easy, i had never done anything like that before however have done all of my mates stereo's and mine plus other electrical bits in my car so i had a bit of know how, i put a 3inch pivot el dial one in my cxi, its on the a pillar as well. It took about an hour and my instructions were all in japanese so i had none pretty much. Yes you just have to splice your rev sensor into the blue wire on the top right hand side of the engine bay and there is a hole in the fire wall just above the pedals, i also ran my earth wire through there into the engine bay aswell. All in all i find it better, 2 of my friends have the same car and i always win because of the tacho because i know when to properly change. So it does come in handy in your slow speed drag races! i hope that all made sense