PDA

View Full Version : General heat reduction

Andsss
29-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Hey guys,

iv searched around but cant find anything too specific...Im assumign as with all mechanical things that the colder things are in its operation the more efficient they run..I just installed a full exhaust...headers hi flow cat n all that... 2.25 inch....

anyhow i open up the engine bay and the headers are HOT...i mean it was sprinkling and when the water hit hte headers it sizzled! The engine bay is pretty hot also...

i know it can only be helped so much..but woudl it make a differnece if i got say ceramic paint and painted the CAI and the headers?

also the bonnet had this carpety thing lining the inside of the bonnet made whichi took off so its just metal...whats the purpose of that?

vti-2
29-04-2004, 05:52 PM
i know it can only be helped so much..but woudl it make a differnece if i got say ceramic paint and painted the CAI and the headers?

The paint would probably chip off the headers. I've never seen ceramic paint applied to headers before so can't comment if it works, but IMO it would chip. By the way, forget painting the CAI, it won't make that much of a difference.

also the bonnet had this carpety thing lining the inside of the bonnet made whichi took off so its just metal...whats the purpose of that?

Don't remove the carpet! It is there to protect your bonnet against fading and cracking from engine bay heat. Under bonnet temperatures get VERY high especially in summer. The material protects your bonnet!

If you really want, get bonnet vents to let out the heat but they would just look gay. There are CF hoods you can actually buy that have vents built in to let out the heat, but they cost $$$.

wynode
29-04-2004, 05:53 PM
I've seen some cars with the bonnet 'carpet' and some without. Mine doesn't have it.

vti-2
29-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Forgot to mention, in regards to the ceramic topic. There is ceramic wrap you can get for headers. I've seen the stuff crack though after time! Yes it will work in reducing heat but it can be detrimental in the long run. It can crack and have heard stories of headers cracking with time as well. I can't confirm if the headers do actually crack though.

Just my 2c.

ArSe
29-04-2004, 06:31 PM
the carpet thingy is a heat shield and also noise reduction device. Type R's dont have it because they try to keep the weight down, and also the create more engine noise, sounds more raw!! grrrh!!

there is this header wrap you can buy to wrap them, i forgot what they are called but they are really affective, you can wrap your enitre exhaust if it gets too hot in the car.

or if your worried about your air filter getting too hot from the headers, just make a heat divider separating your air filter and the rest of the engine bay........ cheap and easy!!

EuroAccord13
29-04-2004, 06:32 PM
I highly recommend you get them HP Coated... Nice finish and works well!

CHEERS
Nick

Andsss
29-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Should it really be that hot? id say vents is a good idea itd be alot cooler...wats hp coated?

EuroAccord13
29-04-2004, 11:33 PM
HPC comes from a company called High Performance Coating.. I've heard some people call it High Pressure Coating :S....

It's a layer of coating that is applied over the headers to act as a thermal shield. It offers the usual like corrosion protection, helps to cool down the headers faster, improves airflow velocity in the exhaust and reduce the engine bay temperature... Ohh and it's got a great finish too! From Chrome to Shadow to Colours..

CHEERS
Nick

Andsss
30-04-2004, 11:54 AM
riiite...sounds interesting..can u get that at any paint shop?

Jus-10
30-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Here you go:

http://www.hpcoatings.com.au

vti-2
30-04-2004, 01:44 PM
I highly recommend you get them HP Coated... Nice finish and works well!

CHEERS
Nick

:thumbsup:

Andsss
30-04-2004, 05:08 PM
i cant see no prices here...u hav any ideas on how much this stuff costs?

ballpark?