PDA

View Full Version : Using a DIY button for engine start

Stoosh
17-05-2006, 02:56 PM
hey guys i was just wondering if you could use any old push button switch to make an engine start button instead of buying one of those PIVOT starter buttons?

17-05-2006, 03:03 PM
another choice is gett an OEM s2k button

CRXer
17-05-2006, 03:14 PM
u can as long as its rated to handle the starter solenoid current(prob about a 50A rating to be safe which would be large & expensive) or just use a relay.*edit* sorry to anyone looking for a 50A relay atm,was just using this for arguments sake.I dont know the starter solenoid rating,but its not this much.

Check this excellent DIY (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42680) by ECUMan

BlitZ
17-05-2006, 04:20 PM
do it..
i want one too ehehehe...

nugget666
17-05-2006, 07:00 PM
what ahppens if someone steals your car?

they just press a button and it starts?

aimre
17-05-2006, 07:04 PM
the key would still be in there.... the button operates the starter motor im led to belive, like when u turn the key, and once it running u pull it back a notch, you would turn ur key that far to start it.

Its illegal to have a car that runs without a key in the ignition

chunky
17-05-2006, 07:07 PM
lol find a car thief and ask him how to start an enegine with out the key
mess around with the battery or something

Stoosh
17-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Its illegal to have a car that runs without a key in the ignition

new cars such as renaults have cards rather than keys

nugget666
17-05-2006, 07:19 PM
lol find a car thief and ask him how to start an enegine with out the key
mess around with the battery or something

in my xf

when my ignition barrel farked up..

me nad dad hooked up a switch you can start it with out a key. just by pressing the button.

without a key.

so i was wondering why you would do that with a nice honda

chunky
17-05-2006, 07:20 PM
yea that volvo add
the igniton thing looks like a alarm remote
u just stick it in and it sends a laser transponder signal to the car and starts up
well thats what i think

Boban
17-05-2006, 11:05 PM
I actually did that to my friends WRX. It was stolen and the fkheads messed something up so it wouldn't start with the key. I just ran a wire from a switched/accessory wire to the starter motor but put a push button ($1.25 from Jaycar) switch in there. You still needed the key to turn on the fuel pump and all the other stuff and you turned the car off with the key, but to start it you turn the key to stage II and press the button. I also used a small button (it was small enough to fit through the alarm led hole) so it wasn't easy for anyone (would be theifs) to see :)

JaCe
21-05-2006, 05:19 PM
yea that volvo add
the igniton thing looks like a alarm remote
u just stick it in and it sends a laser transponder signal to the car and starts up
well thats what i think

Our old C-class (from 98) had that.. no sharp bits- just lasers! Have to admit, it made the key look pretty cool; but I prefer the swiftness of the BMW/Jaguar folding keys.