PDA

View Full Version : Battery Disconnection

Adagio
17-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Is there any reason why I cannot disconnect my battery while away for about 5 weeks? The radio is the first issue I can think of what else?

Plan B is to set up my 5 amp battery charger on a timer giving 30 minutes of charge a day. Which way do I jump??

It seems many modern cars have very small batterys which is great for saving weight but not so good for endurance.
Adagio

SiReal
17-05-2006, 05:16 PM
5 weeks is nothing man. just pull out ur terminals. The only issue should be your radio. Also be very wary of Plan B. you dont want to be charging any lead acid batteries on its own without supervision. Chances are nothing should happen, but u never nkow.

You charge it postive with negative and negative with postive (thats what i did and it worked fine). Also be sure you undo the caps. You dont want a build up of gas inside, in turn causing an explosion.

average life of batt i say is around 2 years

EuroDude
17-05-2006, 07:25 PM
"You charge it postive with negative and negative with postive"

Really? Is that how ur supposed to charge a lead battery?
What happens if you connect pos=pos, neg=neg?

Peekay34
17-05-2006, 07:29 PM
If you are worried about the charge...Jaycar sells a trickle charger for approx $49 dollars only charges when the voltage level of your battery drops below a certain point. A link is below. I have one of these works quite well.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3600&CATID=18&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=295

SiReal
17-05-2006, 07:39 PM
"You charge it postive with negative and negative with postive"

Really? Sounds very dangerous :eek:

Sorry thanks for pointing that out! I got confused when i wrote it. It was a rushed answer. yep +tive +tive AND -tive -tive.

panda[cRx]
17-05-2006, 07:45 PM
should be right to just leave it. at most you might wanna charge it the day you get back.

don't forget you radio code (if you still have factory unit)

another idea for if you are going to leave a car for extended periods of time is to increase the tire pressure so u dont get like flatspots where the tire has been in constant contact with the ground

EuroDude
17-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Where do you find the radio code with a new Honda?
I cant seem to find it anywhere with the papers/manuals that came with my Euro.

ngupil
17-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Adagio, if i were u, i just leave it as it is. dont disconnect the battery, because if you disconnect the battery, the memory in the car MIGHT be wiped out (ie. airbag, computer, abs, etc etc). so you will have to go to the dealer to set the memory up again.

+ve terminal to -ve terminal will cause short circuit and may end up blowing both batteries :) another thing, i dont think we have the radio codes, because the radio is embeded in the dashboard, so i dont think think Honda sees the advantage of having the codes on them

kleung
17-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Your car's manual has information about storing your car. On Pg 432 of my manual, it has whole bunch of stuff you should do if you're planning to store the car for more than a month. Amongst those things is "Disconnect the battery".

So I think you're pretty safe.

For the record I did the same thing last year when I went to the US for just over a month. When I got back, I hooked up the battery again, and she started right up as if nothing had happened. The radio presets were gone, but everything else was right - even the trip meters didn't get reset.

EuroDude
17-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Page 491 in the '06 manual :)

Yeah it doesnt say anything about the SRS system having to be setup or anything, BUT you need to recalibrate the drivers window AUTO function, which is easy... (page 458)

Start engine.
Completely open the drivers window.
Completely close the drivers window, hold for 2 seconds.

kleung
18-05-2006, 12:00 AM
When in doubt, ring the Honda service department. :)

Re: the window auto function - I'd forgotten about that, but I didn't need to reset it in my car.

I do also remember reading/hearing about Jazzes needing to go back to the dealer under certain circumstances relating to battery disconnection (something about the transmission), but since Adagio has a Euro... :)

Adagio
18-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. I like the idea of that Jaycar tricklecharger as I have a number of other vehicles with batteries so the charger sounds like a good idea. I was intrigued about the Accord's radio being imbedded and that there is no code required. The higher pressure on the tyres makes sense too. Also I crack the windows open to allow a flow of air and free travel for the huntsman spiders :p
Adagio

Adagio
22-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Bought that Jaycar battery charger $50.00 and it is just what is needed. Slowly charges a battery then goes on a silent watch until it notes the battery charge has dropped below a pre-specified level then charges up again. Thanks for all the advice.

hotout
23-05-2006, 11:04 AM
a tip, if you decide to disconnect the battery, don't muck around with the terminals, just remove the relevant fuses. Easy, no greasy mucking around.

ROBERT
07-11-2006, 07:44 AM
I purchased a solar charger from Supercheap for $29.00 to keep my Cobra fully charged as sometimes it doesn't get used for a couple of weeks (terrible I know). Of course I realise you need a garage with a skylight or something.