PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem?? or is it something else

[JNS 012]
17-05-2006, 08:10 PM
hi, i currently drive a s2k it has 120000 on the clock 99 model,
when i start off on first gear at a stop, it just bunny hops like craZy..
and when i gib it more throttle it goes worse.. until i push in my clutch and try it again... do u guy know wat the problem is...
and also
when i hab low fuel like 2 bars on the dash, it jerks in second,, like the car feels soo heavy...

do u guys know wat the problem is
the mechanic had a look at it and he said that it was the intank fuel filter, and damaged clutch + pressure plate.

soo can u guys help me out here man...

Ferrari
17-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Has the clutch been replaced yet? quite a few kms done, and the S2k is a performance car, the clutch is subject to some abuse.

My del sol bunny hopped, (jerky takeoff) because of a worn clutch, had to really slip iton takeoff to smooth it out.

[JNS 012]
17-05-2006, 09:39 PM
that is wat i need to find out from my father .. who is atm overseas>.<
damit
yeh i kinda have to slip too...
did u change ur pressure plate on yr del sol or just the plate itself

ROLLED
17-05-2006, 10:51 PM
yeah sounds like your clutch is wearing a bit, perhaps your releasing the clutch before the release point, some of the cars i test drove tended to do this initially but if you just release the clutch really slowly it should be smooth.

well u should sort it out, try releasing it realyl smoothly...also make sure your not varying ur RPMs cos that will make it jerk but u should already know that, keep them constant....

nice avatar by the way, reminds me of something...

[JNS 012]
17-05-2006, 10:59 PM
ROLLED thanks for the advice and tips...
but i reckon i should get this sorted out realli quickly.. b4 something else goes BANG~!

lol wat does my avater remind u of lol

ROLLED
17-05-2006, 11:05 PM
mine....hahah are you on S2ki.com?

there's quite a few s2k owners on there from australia, btw which city are u in?

Ferrari
18-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I changed pressure plate and clutch, to be safe. But as ROLLED stated u need to maintain a smooth RPM, and slowly release, other wise it can be jerky, it happend in the delsol, more so as it was a lighter car and FWD it jerked alot more.

My mate has an S2k too, and I drove it, it didnt get off the line well and jerked too. But felt fine after it was rolling, his clutch only lasted about 1 month after he purhcased it, and when he got it to the Honda service dept, the car just revved didnt even move anywhere, so you might be up for a clutch change soon! He got rpaed was about $2300 But I have heard Hanny's getting the job done for $1800.

I will get mine done one day, it has 30k kms on it and is fine, but I have clutch buzz.

Ferrari
18-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Im on S2ki, aswell, screen name MAD828, ROLLED is TAXXED I believe, has good taste in colour he does.

ROLLED
18-05-2006, 01:33 PM
yes ROLLED is TAAXED, i have a thing for capital letters ;). anyways whats this clutch buzz like? i wonder if anyone has a sound clip of it...

Ferrari
18-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Its very noticeable, when u downshift, or let off the gas, it makes a vibrating buzz sound, sounds similar to a race car, its kinda raw. Some times its embarrassing with a passenger, as its quite noisy.Thing is most dont actually acknowledge its presence they just think its what the car does, the previous owner didnt even notice it, and he was the only owner from the dealer.

The buzz is caused from the weak clutch springs fitted, they vibrate, so its a metal on metal vibration sound you are hearing.

Either way, Im leaving it for now, as it aint cheap to replace and its got plenty of life yet.

[JNS 012]
18-05-2006, 07:47 PM
yeh im from sydney.. around strathfield area.. how about u...

Ferrari
18-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Im close, live in Earlwood

[JNS 012]
18-05-2006, 08:59 PM
nice niec
we should meet up someday ...
after i repair my clutch...

ROLLED
18-05-2006, 10:42 PM
damn im in melb...oh well i should be driving upto sydney sometime before the years ended!

Ferrari
19-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah should meet up,

ROLLED I have an Indonesian friend who has recently moved down to Melbourne, and guess what he has a 2000 NFR S2k too.

toE
19-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Take the chit-chat to PMs please. :)

MRSPCS
11-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Its very noticeable, when u downshift, or let off the gas, it makes a vibrating buzz sound, sounds similar to a race car, its kinda raw. Some times its embarrassing with a passenger, as its quite noisy.Thing is most dont actually acknowledge its presence they just think its what the car does, the previous owner didnt even notice it, and he was the only owner from the dealer.

The buzz is caused from the weak clutch springs fitted, they vibrate, so its a metal on metal vibration sound you are hearing.

Either way, Im leaving it for now, as it aint cheap to replace and its got plenty of life yet.

Hey guys, just recently brought my s2k and have notice that i have this problem aswell, is this a common problem for s2ks? what can i do to fix the problem?

cheers

ROLLED
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
it is common for early model s2ks, the main fix was to have the clutch replaced under warranty. Not sure if there's a cheaper alternative though.

ROLLED
11-06-2006, 01:50 PM
']hi, i currently drive a s2k it has 120000 on the clock 99 model,
when i start off on first gear at a stop, it just bunny hops like craZy..
and when i gib it more throttle it goes worse.. until i push in my clutch and try it again... do u guy know wat the problem is...
and also
when i hab low fuel like 2 bars on the dash, it jerks in second,, like the car feels soo heavy...

do u guys know wat the problem is
the mechanic had a look at it and he said that it was the intank fuel filter, and damaged clutch + pressure plate.

soo can u guys help me out here man...

btw, did our tips help you here? or was it another issue you had with the clutch?

MRSPCS
12-06-2006, 01:30 PM
it is common for early model s2ks, the main fix was to have the clutch replaced under warranty. Not sure if there's a cheaper alternative though.

Does this problem cause a lil tapping/vibration on the clutch when decelerating?

Ferrari
12-06-2006, 03:14 PM
To fix the problem, you would have to get the updated clutch, which supposedly is redesigned with stronger springs. I have heard that the sound can come back yet, so best replace it only when your clutch has gone. Whne mine does I will probably go with a TODA clutch and lightweight
flywheel.

BTW it isnt covered by warranty, unless your car does have the extended warranty/ and or is still under warranty. Be interesting to see if they dont give you any hassles, as the clutch is a deteriorating part, its hard to get Honda to pay for a new one, and to prove it is faulty and not due to how its been driven.

ROLLED
12-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Well to let you guys know, I got my car from a Honda dealer and they checked the clutch for me and admitted to early s2000s having a clutch buzz issue, I dont think it would be an issue if your still under warranty.

Ferrari
13-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Ye problem is, are there any 99-01 still under factory warranty?

I have a 3rd party warranty on my car, but the cover does not include items like the clutch, only the pressure plate, as its a wear and tear item.

ROLLED
13-06-2006, 09:19 AM
hmm wouldn't say so haha...I'm sure it's not that bad if your previous owner had it for so long but didn't change it! But then again your car has 30,000kms right?

anyways, like you said mate, just wait till the clutch wears out and replace it! hehe

Ferrari
13-06-2006, 11:18 AM
yeah 30000 kms, the original owner didnt even know what clutch buzz was....

Its harmless, but still when a chick gets in they think wtf is that noise so you vtec more to cover it up.