PDA

View Full Version : LSD questions!

EKIV
29-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi,
I would like to ask whether EK9 and DC2R 's LSD are the same or not ?
in other words, EK9 or DC2R LSD can fit into EK4 gearbox ?
thanks

ah789454
30-04-2004, 10:07 AM
both can fit into an b16 ek4 but with some modifications. thats a direct quote from charli at good performance

genesis
30-04-2004, 10:54 AM
ah789454 is correct, however you will need to change the driveshafts to the thicker ITR/CTR ones, and maybe the hubs too.

The cost and effort of doing this isn't worth the outcomes you will receive from the ITR LSD. I recommend going for an aftermarket lsd that will fit EK4 straight up.

Civic Type R
30-04-2004, 11:03 AM
or .. just buy the type r gearbox for $1000ish with 4.4 FD or $1800 with 4.785 FD - both come with LSD direct bolt on to any B series.
Cheaper alternative in my opinion.
I went for the latter option and its damn GOOD !

CTR Coupe
30-04-2004, 11:23 AM
how can u tell the difference between the two type R boxes.

Civic Type R
30-04-2004, 12:24 PM
The CTR box has a final drive of 4.4 and has the same synchros as a VTiR civic. The ITR box has a final drive of 4.785 and gears 4 and 5 are shorter.
Both have helical LSD. and both look the same exterior-wise

genesis
30-04-2004, 02:15 PM
The ITR box has a final drive of 4.785 and gears 4 and 5 are shorter.e
Actually, the civic has shorter 4th and 5th gears adam, but the final drive is longer

Civic Type R
30-04-2004, 03:35 PM
yer that one .. :)

i was confused ..
But heres a little comparison for you's
Civic VTiR redline speeds compared to the Type R 4.785 box - same car

VTiR: ~ 4.4 Final Drive
1st 60km/h
2nd 100km/h
3rd 140 km/h
4th 180km/h
5th dunno - only reached 215

Type R ~ 4.785 Final Drive
1st 50km/h
2nd 80km/h
3rd 120 km/h
4th 165km/h
5th 220km/h !! i managed that last nite :D

TODA AU
30-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Hi,
I would like to ask whether EK9 and DC2R 's LSD are the same or not ?
in other words, EK9 or DC2R LSD can fit into EK4 gearbox ?
thanks

Yes... The diff it'self is a straight bolt in...
There are no mods to be performed...
Just swap the final drive over... (Crown wheel)
DC2R final drive doesn't work due to different diameter 1st counter gear bearing size...
(This means the EK4 gear set will not fit the lay/output shaft)
Cheers

Adrian

Civic Type R
30-04-2004, 06:39 PM
thats correct.
but my point of just buying a EK9 box and doing a simple remove and replace might be a cheaper alternative because of the labour and parts involved to modify the EK4 box for LSD.

TODA AU
01-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Fair comment...

But in fairness to EKIV...
A simple diff swap is achievable easily.

bizee_1
02-05-2004, 04:18 AM
is this diff swap as easily achievable for any other B-series gearbox's ? (regardless if cable or hydro)

TODA AU
02-05-2004, 08:48 AM
No... Unfortunatly, the cable box is not exactly the same...

EKIV
02-05-2004, 09:53 PM
thank you for the response..
I had been asking around in these few days.
some mechanics told me that the EK9 and DC2R LSD are exactly the same .
and most of the place , they quote me for 400-500 to install the LSD.
they had not mentioned I need to modify or change anything from the gearbox.
anyway , I check again tmr..
thanks

CRXONE
03-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Hey guys I own a 1989 Honda Crx

Just a quick question, I'm getting my gearbox and clutch done at the moment.
Should I tell the guys that I want them to put in a LSD whilst everything is out?? Do these LSD's actually help acceleration?

Thanks for help,
Mark

tofu R
03-05-2004, 12:42 PM
u can say that it will help your launch .. and getting power to the ground
but the true use of LSD is for powering out of the twisties ..

CRXONE
03-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Where is the best place to get one of these LSD's?
and at what price?? ($400-$500?????????)

cheers,
Mark

Civic Type R
03-05-2004, 02:57 PM
The LSD prevents FWD drift around corners when VTEC kicks in. Its works damn well i must admit !

pgclee
03-05-2004, 08:39 PM
EK4, EK9 and DC2....all those LSD are different...

bizee_1
03-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Where is the best place to get one of these LSD's?
and at what price?? ($400-$500?????????)

cheers,
Mark

Mark, what engine/gearbox(cable/hydraulic) combination do you have in your CRX ?

CRXONE
04-05-2004, 10:35 AM
I have a 89 Crx, Twin Cam 1.6 FI (D16A8)

Not sure about your other question.

Does anyone also know if LSD would weigh down a car at all???

Mark ;)

Civic Type R
04-05-2004, 11:09 AM
EK4, EK9 and DC2....all those LSD are different...
ummm dude wtf ?

i disagree because that is totally wrong !
please backup your post.

Civic Type R
04-05-2004, 11:10 AM
CRXONE. No B series LSD will fit your car.
you will have to choose an aftermarket one

CRXONE
04-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks mate

I will start looking for an after market one! do you guys know of any company's in Melbourne that sell them??

thanks again

pgclee
04-05-2004, 11:04 PM
don't believe they are different?

then get a EK9 LSD and try to fit in your EK4 Gearbox...if it fits...tell me bout it dude...

TODA AU
05-05-2004, 07:04 AM
don't believe they are different?

then get a EK9 LSD and try to fit in your EK4 Gearbox...if it fits...tell me bout it dude...

Mate... You are wrong...

Civic Type R
05-05-2004, 01:41 PM
LOL !

VTEChnique
05-05-2004, 02:54 PM
The LSD prevents FWD drift around corners when VTEC kicks in. Its works damn well i must admit !

man I dont think you understand what "drift" is..

there is a big difference between wheelspin and 'drift'...

Civic Type R
05-05-2004, 03:23 PM
i am talking from personal experience ;)
I know what drift is and the difference with wheelspin.

I still hold by what i said.

VTEChnique
05-05-2004, 04:43 PM
you still holding something else !! hahhahaaa

Civic Type R
05-05-2004, 04:56 PM
naaa.

ive actually been pulled over by the cops in Claremont for drifting and fishtailing around a corner down Gugeri St.

You will be amazed at how well the LSD does grip into the corners when ur in VTEC. I'll take you for a spin tonite if u want ?

**Ghost**
05-05-2004, 05:49 PM
can someone give me a brief explanation of wot

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:35 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yer that one ..

i was confused ..
But heres a little comparison for you's
Civic VTiR redline speeds compared to the Type R 4.785 box - same car

VTiR: ~ 4.4 Final Drive
1st 60km/h
2nd 100km/h
3rd 140 km/h
4th 180km/h
5th dunno - only reached 215

Type R ~ 4.785 Final Drive
1st 50km/h
2nd 80km/h
3rd 120 km/h
4th 165km/h
5th 220km/h !! i

this all means??!!?

Civic Type R
05-05-2004, 06:00 PM
i posted that as a guide to explain the differences between the 2 boxes and their respective redline speeds.
Sorry if it were confusing ... :/

madgrk
05-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Dont know who wrote that, but it means

In 1st gear in an EK VTiR you can reach 60 k's
In 2nd you can reach 100 k's

and so on :)

It is stating the differences between the final drives. As you can see, the Type R has a higher final drive, meaning at the higher gears (i.e 5th) it will reach a greater top speed.

I think Weezer on the forums changed his final drive to an ITR one in his Gen 2 CRX. He said it is heaps better now. Dont know what the CRX one is (assuming same as an EG6/EK4) but he said it is a lot better now than what it used to be...

**Ghost**
05-05-2004, 06:19 PM
ok yeh i got that part... thanks... but just an observation... doesnt that mean before 5th gear, the CTR is slightly slower than VTIR? cos say on first gear, the VTIR can rev longer ? or doesnt this take into account acceleration time?

one last thing...wtf are ger ratios?

wot does it mean whent it goes

1st gear 0.443
2nd gear 1.343
etc etc

Final drive xxx

SIKCVC
05-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Civic Type R... how the hell do you get a FWD to "drift"? This is perplexing... FWDs dont have Rear Wheel power, how do you get the rear wheels to spin?

I thought LSD's helped with reducing understeer anyway.

madgrk
05-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Well my understanding of a gear ratio is this.. Its like the circumference of a wheel multiplied by Pi (3.4somethingsomething).

So if you have a wheel (in this case a cog) which is 2 inches in diameter and then multiplied it by Pi, that'll give you your gear ratio for that gear (whichever it is)

I think im right, somebody please correct me if i'm wrong :D

SIKCVC
05-05-2004, 06:29 PM
your just getting that from biking arn't you :P

Civic Type R
05-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Civic Type R... how the hell do you get a FWD to "drift"? This is perplexing... FWDs dont have Rear Wheel power, how do you get the rear wheels to spin?

I thought LSD's helped with reducing understeer anyway.
take a wide corner at 100 km/h then punch the throttle and the car will hover sideways. Now that i have done the LSD conversion with the ITR tranny i dont get this [whatever you want to call it] feeling.
If you want to call it understeer then im happy with that. :)

**Ghost**
05-05-2004, 06:35 PM
alright... give thats how u work out a ratio... wot does it mean tho? like if i'm reading it... wot is it supposed to tell me... like when i read KWs i see power output... Nm i see as torque... Psi, pressure (or boost).... wtf am i meant to see when i read

1st Gear 0.43

Civic Type R
05-05-2004, 06:35 PM
ok yeh i got that part... thanks... but just an observation... doesnt that mean before 5th gear, the CTR is slightly slower than VTIR? cos say on first gear, the VTIR can rev longer ? or doesnt this take into account acceleration time?

Final drive xxx
no.
The CTR box goes thru the gears quicker and accellerates quicker than the VTiR box.

I tested this on a hwy near me.
with the VTiR box i struggled to hit 215km/h
with the Type R box i hit redline in 5th quite easily at 220km/h and it was still pulling nicely.

SIKCVC
05-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Yeah understeers a bitch... I wouldn't mind an LSD... just too costly with everyhting else... but apparently everyone swears by them and says do it before performance mods, faster time etc...

MAYBE.

Civic Type R
05-05-2004, 06:58 PM
btw, i am just posting a real life scenario and not a theoretical judgement as a guide only to back up what i was saying.
:)

CRXONE
06-05-2004, 12:42 PM
So where in Melbourne can I buy an LSD for my 89 Model CRX? :?: :?:

I'm trying to find one,

thanks guys,
Mark

pgclee
06-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Final drive xxx[/quote]
no.
The CTR box goes thru the gears quicker and accellerates quicker than the VTiR box.

I tested this on a hwy near me.
with the VTiR box i struggled to hit 215km/h
with the Type R box i hit redline in 5th quite easily at 220km/h and it was still pulling nicely.[/quote]

huh???...5th gear only pulls a 220km/h??...are you sure???
err...errr....my 4th goes well over 205km/h dude....and you expect 5th gear pulls just another 15km/h??....hmm...weird...that means something wrong with my car...hmm hmm....

one more thing....when you really throw your car in a wide corner at 100km/h, and you full throttle it...will it really drift?...errr.....i know if you really wanna drift a civic with LSD, turn in fast...let go the peddel when you turn hard, accelrate, counter steer, then you might have a so called drift...but i won't try it dude...i'm not SUCH a good and daring driver as you man...or why don't you show us a clip of your drift???
i'll b freaking impress with it........worship you dude...

pgclee
06-05-2004, 02:45 PM
btw, i am just posting a real life scenario and not a theoretical judgement as a guide only to back up what i was saying.
:)

hmm....civic Type R, you sound like you a really good driver yourself...i really want to see how you drive...philip island track day is coming...would you be coming?...if you can drive about 1:57-2:00 min with semi slicks and coil overs setting...i'll be very impress dude...and please teach me how to do that kinda cornering....i'll be dying to learn from you...

mo
06-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Isn't Philip Island track in Melbourne

Civic Type R is in Perth. Do you think he really is going to bring his car from one side of Australia to the other side to show you?

genesis
06-05-2004, 03:46 PM
pgclee what car do u have?...

I hit rev limiter in 4th at around 180 in my ek4

Civic Type R
06-05-2004, 04:12 PM
one more thing....when you really throw your car in a wide corner at 100km/h, and you full throttle it...will it really drift?...errr.....i know if you really wanna drift a civic with LSD, turn in fast...let go the peddel when you turn hard, accelrate, counter steer, then you might have a so called drift...but i won't try it dude...i'm not SUCH a good and daring driver as you man...or why don't you show us a clip of your drift???
i'll b freaking impress with it........worship you dude...
dude, i havent tried to drift with the LSD on a track yet.

I dont consider myself an expert driver however i have been driving FF cars for 8 years now and this civic for just over 4 years.
Secondly yes id love to show you on Phillip Island however i cant see myself making the 3500km drive :roll:

Yes Genesis is correct with the 4th gear redline being 180. Mine was too but now its 165 with this ITR box.

Civic Type R
06-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Cornering at high speeds takes practice and a lot of mistakes. Sometimes you can oversteer and othertimes understeer and hit the curbs ..[vtechnique] LOL sorry mate :D

The first and most important thing is know tyre physics - how they work and why. You cant brake and turn at the same time, it just wont work. Secondly, when u start to lose rear wheel traction, you have to tap the throttle and feel the car move as one with you.
You must know the wear of each tyre and have the correct set up or you will find yourself in uncomfortable fishtailing motions and spin out.

I am a crazy driver and i always like to give my civic heaps and see where its limits are at. We all should know this in our cars :)

genesis
07-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Adam,

Have you considered that perhaps your speedo is inaccurate now, since you have the higher ratio diff? I'm not too sure if honda speedos need to be recalibrated or not.

- Alex

CRXONE
07-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know where I can get an LSD in Melbourne?

Someone here must know?

thanks for any help ;)
mark

Civic Type R
07-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Alex ... mmm i dunno hey.
But why would it be so ?

pgclee
08-05-2004, 12:56 AM
can people tell me philip island...1st corner after the main straight....how fast can we turn in?...190km/h??????....or 200km/h???..or less??? i know just after the fast corner...the next one should be around 130km/h...hahaa..damn blur..

Civic Type R...
i don't know whether you drove well or not...but one thing i must point out..theory isn't always the best solution...civic's tail tends to be Wigglieeee and you will feel somehow it will lost out...but a quick counter steer will help alot..that is...if you own a civic...your reaction must be quick..but too bad..mine is slow...spun out ones when i'm taking a corner at around 90 degrees about..errmm...90km/h?..hahaha...stupid rite...but i assume that is just my slow reaction causing all that spuning....

the most recent i've tried, in albert park...very scary...but the time i've tried, nothing is on the road, and now there is some kinda stuff to prevent us driving fast..some kinda divider...

tried it till my forth gear...around 190km/h...hard break...to 140km/h...a right...then a left..and suddenly i felt my tail come off...but that was a really lucky safe...a small counter steer save me...
civic is not an easy car to understand...i know that if you really need to drive it fast,, your left foot must put into play...left leg breaking while in a really fast corner and at the same time..accelerating...hard...but fast...

i'm really looking for people teaching me how to drive my car to the limit...but dono who to ask for...hahaha...

ermm...i drive a civic myself...yeap...4th gear more than 200km/h already....

pgclee
08-05-2004, 01:00 AM
one thing i'm very sure of is that how to know is the guy a good driver or not..
how??
look at his tyre after his laps...if it's still the same look like before he went down the track...yea...he's good..or either he's just driving it too slow..

if a bad driver...rough lines, tyre pattern changes like flip....haha...taking the wrong line...

or is there other way to know?

EKIV
08-05-2004, 01:47 AM
pgclee is the one who drive EK9 in Victoria.

do u know my ex-owner do 2:01 at philip island ?

at that moment , he used RE711 , Tein coilover , NO aftermarket sway bar , the car has abt 90KWATW. NO LSD neither.

Hence, mods on the car are not as important as the skills.

I really want to point out ppls always say what and what
but end up , the first mods is their skills . not the CAR itself.

that's what I was told from my ex-owner of EKIV.

I drove a WRX b4 and i brought the car to his place in order to have a test .
i asked him how come my car was so slow. and then he had a test drive on my car. turns to differnt car . afterthen, I realise that mods our skills b4 we mods our cars.
It is meaningless to spend 15K on car and end up slower than a standard car on track. ( or even on ROAD ). I found lots of Indonesian guy in Victoria, they spent more than 10K on the cars . and ends up total lost their cars after few months. Indeed, their skills were still native to a High horse power car. I should say they still had not hitted out the max on the Standard car and then start to modify. If anyone disagree with me , just speak out here. I am willing to hear any comment on that.

PGCLEE , I am giving some advice on your cars. PLEASE fix the rear section on your car b4 going on track . as I know , your REAR rims were TOE OUT. I dunno what had happened b4. It is quite dangerous to turn at high speed if your car is not lined properly. stop focusing on the mods on the engine itself. It is not WISE to make a CIVIC to achieve the horse power as a turbo car. LOST the point to get a CTR . Civic is a car for stability at turning . NOT FOR DRAG. I am seeing you are going to mod your CTR as a DRAG car more than a TRACK car. focusing on the right way to mod your car. KW@Wheel is just a figure. If you dun trust me , I have confidence to perform faster than your XXXKW@wheel CTR on track.

I am not giving u a hard time on your car. Just my opinion . if I say anything make you sad, I apologise here.

SPEEDCORE
08-05-2004, 02:27 PM
one thing i'm very sure of is that how to know is the guy a good driver or not..
how??
look at his tyre after his laps...if it's still the same look like before he went down the track...yea...he's good..or either he's just driving it too slow..

if a bad driver...rough lines, tyre pattern changes like flip....haha...taking the wrong line...

Are you trying to say that if someone is a bad driver around a track, the pattern changes on the tyre ie. more wear on one side??

Please tell me you are not saying this or I will have to call BS!

mo
08-05-2004, 03:35 PM
how??

Are you trying to say that if someone is a bad driver around a track, the pattern changes on the tyre ie. more wear on one side??

Yes...Yes he is! ROFLMAO!!

SPEEDCORE
08-05-2004, 04:24 PM
. You cant brake and turn at the same time, it just wont work.

Sorry I dissagree.

EKIV
09-05-2004, 05:09 AM

U can brake when you are in the middle of a deep turn.

the FR driver put right foot on accelerator and left foot on brake during the turns.
use brake to enble oversteering and use accelerator to control the level of oversteering.

EKIV
09-05-2004, 05:12 AM

the FR driver put right foot on accelerator and left foot on brake during the turns.
use brake to enble oversteering and use accelerator to control the level of oversteering.

SPEEDCORE
09-05-2004, 09:35 AM

You are contradicting yourself now!

I do however agree with this comment you made,

"It is meaningless to spend 15K on car and end up slower than a standard car on track. ( or even on ROAD ). I found lots of Indonesian guy in Victoria, they spent more than 10K on the cars . and ends up total lost their cars after few months. Indeed, their skills were still native to a High horse power car. I should say they still had not hitted out the max on the Standard car and then start to modify."

Very very true! :thumbsup:

pgclee
09-05-2004, 05:29 PM
oh...
i know the previous owner and did race with him before...
i remembered he got coil overs and some mods and that time i was still standard...with RE 010 tyres...and almost ware out...so..if he got coil overs and better tyres than me..and i'm running 2:02 ...i guess that if i'm having the same stuff as his...i will be faster?....

hahaha..

yes...hp is not that important...but it is for me....your car can't perform like what you want it to be....you won't have a great time racing on track dude...but....i don't think i'm fast on the track man...i've seen better....philip island is a tricky track if you want to go quick...but is hard to go fast if you don't even have a good set of tyres, suspension and breaks...

yes...my rear is toe in...but i'l trying to fix it...and i do need camber kit to re adjust eveything on my car or where can anybody reckon that i can fix it???...sooo...at the mean time...nothing else is been done to my car now unless i've done my tuning....soo...philip island in about next 2 weeks...hopefully can get on there...really excited to go on...

one more thing EKIV....may be i'm not a good driver...but you cant say that to me if you haven't raced with me....we race for fun...not for fame...people knows my car...who cares...and i also wonder how the hell you know my rims is toe in?..hahahahaha...that is soo weird...thats why you see....i didn't race on road any more...scard dude....2 things...police...accident...

and...EKIV...if you are better...i think is good to have you exchange some opinion about corner speed dude...i really wanna get a good time in philip island...nice track to go fast...hahaha...

Civic is not just about corner speed...is about well balance car and tune up suspension...if you can get your civic to about 900kg...and you got about 240hp...i reckon you can go about 1:50sec on philip island...

civic is all about weight...so...get Fit dude...hhahaha...lost some weight..!..hahahaha...

EKIV
10-05-2004, 04:01 AM
Pgclee :
world is so small.
do not ask me how come I know your rear tyres are toe in...
To be honest, I had never been to philip Island. I live in the other side.
I went to winton more often than the others..
I will try on philip Island by the end of this month.
I dun think I got enough time to wait for the LSD.
going to test out the suspension setup this week or next week.
as well as the tyres.
I still have not found the best setting on my suspension yet.
different ppls tell difference stories..
I believe FR and FF need to set up the suspension differently in terms of suspension.
I am trying to put the rear suspension 40-60mm higher than the front ..
see how is it going .

I really want to ask you sth , why dun you turbo charge your car ? I think you are chasing at abt 150KWsATW. ?
every car are chasing the balance . not only civic. but I really dun understand why you need so much power ....
For me , I found 110KWS ATW ek , is enough already ..

anyway , I want to ask whether you or your friend have interest to buy GO-Kart to play on track .
my mechanics's 20K GO-Kart kill my EK on track .. very funny ..
got 4 wheel disc brake , Manual gear, clutch etc..
some of my friends are interesting on getting a GO Kart and try on track.

Civic Type R
10-05-2004, 01:13 PM
OK we are straying a long way from the original subject being LSDs.

My point regarding cornering and braking was a generalisation that wasnt real clear - sorry. My point was more of: you corner much better whilst on the throttle than you would whilst applying the brakes.

I went out on the weekend to prove this.
i attacked a wide corner at 70 in 2nd and pushed it hard and i got all 4 wheels to lose traction and slide around the corner nicely .. but with a little whiplash backinto line.
I redid the corner at the same speed only off the throttle.
I simply slid the rear wheels out and did a 180 after the corner apex. I believe the same result would be achieved if i broke during cornering as well.

Note: i did that corner 3 times each way on throttle and each time (6) i powered out hard in vtec and successfully.
The last one (off throttle) i spun out.

SiR JDM
10-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Im doin an engine swap on my 92 eg breeze to a b16a g2 Si-R

Ive read up on this engine and it says LSD is optional? How can I tell once the conversion is done? The engine, drive train etc are from a 94 JDM Si-R

tanghy
10-05-2004, 06:41 PM
those engines had VISCOUS LSD OPTIONAL

pgclee
11-05-2004, 12:14 AM
dude....don't compare an open wheeler class with the civic...you can't compare with them at all...

you're just like comparing a V8 super car with an F-1 race car....soo...if you raced with the go kart....i understand why you lose...remember...it's weight...not even like 2-300kg....oh man...your car is more than a tonne dude...if you said that is not true....i have nothing else to say...it's just diff class...

hmm...it's just too expensive to turbocharged the civic....if you wanna go about...ermm...i think 450hp....25k won't be enough....the turbo kit itself cost hell lots...how bout a good ECU and tuning?...intercooler and all those electronic stuff?...throttle manifold....hell lot....soo..i don't think i can afford it...if you can afford to make it high hp...how bout all those suspension setting and bla bla bla bla...on and on and on and on...

i just wonder what time will you get if you go on track...hmm...tell me bout it...very interested to know...

hp is quite important dude...and philip island is suppose to be a high hp track...enter the corner fast..but out the corner faster...but all this depends how you handle it...

an NA should be an NA...what for you wanna get a Vtec turbo?...though is nice to have one...but pure Vtec is still the best...and you must also think of reliability....

there are ltos of things to learn bout Vtec..and im sure you know it as welll...but talking that you're quick on the track...is useless...giving the result is the best...i'm not saying i'm a better driver than you...but if you are, hopefully we can exchange some opinion about our driving..

pgclee
11-05-2004, 12:20 AM
how??

i wonder why you said that...hmmm...may be you're fast on the track...and you trash your tyres as well...or may be we have diff kinda approach to the corner..thats all...that is my opinion about a good driver and a bad driver..you don't have to agree with me...and i respect your opinion as well...i expect that you're surely a good driver...but how quick can you go?..i don't know...if you reckon that you have good skill in yourself, why don't we share our opinion and exchange some mistake that we had on track?...sounds nice?

SPEEDCORE
12-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Ok the reason that I said this is simple and I am talking from a track/circuit racing perspective, which I like very much.

What you have to consider is this, and I am currently experiencing it. I am racing with semi-slicks.... not the best semi-slicks but good for now. The problem is I have standard suspension still.

People will say ,"SO? What is wrong with that?"

The problem is that if you do not have the suspension setup, the car is relying heavily on the tyres to do all of the cornering. I am sure you know the result of this but I will say it anyway. It is called MASSIVE BODY ROLL. Having really bad body roll like I said above puts massive loads on the outsides of the tires when cornering. The contact patch of the tyre is not truely flat on the track because of the bodyroll.

The end result is tyres that will wear uneven, and lets say that the track consists primarily of right hand turns, then the tyres on the left side of the car will wear the most uneven.

So this is all I was trying to say... that a bad or a good driver can not be judged by the uneven wear of the tyre, because of factors like suspension. Another thing you might consider is this...... you will tend to see that tyres from cars that are involved in endurance races usually will have a more consistant/even wear on them compared to tyres used on cars that are quick sprint or dash events. It is obvious why, they need to take care of the tyres for as long as possible as opposed to just going as quick as you can for a short distance where tyre longevity is not really an issue.

EKIV
14-05-2004, 06:42 AM
AGREED :o

pgclee
14-05-2004, 11:37 AM
ehh...why i never experienced that before?...
i don't have suspension as well..
and i do a well 180km/h 1st corner at philip island...

hmm...can't understand....
but all i know is that if you know how to maintain the tyre....you'll be quicker...
or i'm just driving too slow..i guess....but i don't think is slow as well...i don't know....
philip island is next week...soo...might prove something dude...and EKIV...you are going rite?...please tell me what time you did man...as you've said i'm slower....

one more thing...my 2:02...is with standard car....just filter and with nearly run off RE 010 tyres...no suspension nothing...and my car wasn't even modified yet....so i guess you can surely running in the 1 : 59 rite....great to see a civic running that quick man...

EKIV
14-05-2004, 08:58 PM
you r really funny . still keen on comparing your EK with my one.

do u know that your are is EK9 and my one is EK4.
your priston is much stronger. also the LSD ....
anyway , I need to borrow a license .
the cops just chop my license.

if I dun have enough time to prepare my car, I go to Winton with you next time.

I am waiting for the EBC brake and the DISC from sydney . as well as the seats ..

hondarules
16-05-2004, 01:30 AM
hey look pgclee and ekiv. all this talk about taking turn 1 at 180, doing 2:02, having coilovers or street tyres is just not going anywhere. and to a certain extent i think its quite full of shit. theres a PI track day with OFFICIAL timing end of this mth and we will be heading down to PI. i honestly doubt u can do 2:02 even with ur semis or 180 on turn 1. if uve been there at least 5 times then fair enuff but HAVE U? or r u in a way just trying to show us all that ur a really quick driver and ur just being humble. u dont have to prove that to me but u can if u want to :) to my knowledge, doesnt matter if its a ek9 a ek4 or a gtr. its the driver. sorry if this is out of point but as a fellow civic driver and a BIG fan of PI, i just dont agree with some of ur theories. like i said. ill be heading to PI end of this mth and there will be other civics there as well. so cut the crap, drop the excuses and lets go have some fun! will be great with many civics running ard the track. unless of cos ur car is not "ready", "not tuned", not "fast enough", not "low enuff" blablabla

pgclee...i disagree with u when u say PI is a horsepower track.

wynode
16-05-2004, 09:37 AM
*looks at thread title*

Lets keep it on topic!

SiR
17-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Anyone heard of 1.5 way KAAZ LSD?

tanghy
17-05-2004, 02:42 PM
KAAZ is a big jap maker

SiR
17-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Yeah...anyone got any feedbacks?
Anyone sells this in Sydney?

:?:

tanghy
17-05-2004, 02:53 PM
THEY ARE A AFTERMARKET CLUTCH PACK TYPE LSD WHICH YOU WILL NEED SPECIAL FLUID TO RUN AND THE CLUTCH PACK WILL NEED REPLACEMNT EVERY NOW AND THEN.
NO THEY ARE NOT CHEAP IF YOU THINK YOU CAN GET FOR LOW PRICE

SiR
17-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Alright, thanks for the feedback.

SPEEDCORE
17-05-2004, 05:51 PM
What are the types of LSD's that don't need overhauling?

If there is such a thing.

I thought all LSDs required you to run proper LSD fluid?

Civic Type R
17-05-2004, 06:39 PM
i posted one on the for sale section - an ITR box for sale from ebay and it got erased.
Im not posting it again so just get a stock ITR box and be happy with genuine OEM peace of mind.

tanghy
17-05-2004, 07:13 PM
OEM helical LSD does not need regular servicing

CLUTCH pack LSD need more special fluid than helical LSD

pgclee
17-05-2004, 10:46 PM
ehhh....i don't think civic uses 1.5way LSD...
but i'm not that sure....
is it true?

SiR
17-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Nope - seen many Civic's use them, namely EK4 and EK9.

SPEEDCORE
18-05-2004, 07:34 AM
1.5 is suited to FF cars best from memory.

SP0017
18-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Civic uses 1.5 way LSDs

Using something like kaaz cannot be compared to an ITR LSD.

ITR is definitely good enough but kaaz is much better.

As for maintenance, just change your transmission fluid every 3 months and use the right fluids.

As for replacing clutch packs, that is a possibility but only after some long and hard use. Its using the wrong fluids that ****s the LSD up the fastest.

gambate
28-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Im doin an engine swap on my 92 eg breeze to a b16a g2 Si-R
Ive read up on this engine and it says LSD is optional? How can I tell once the conversion is done? The engine, drive train etc are from a 94 JDM Si-R

those engines had VISCOUS LSD OPTIONAL

bumping a super old thread, btw, can anyone confirm the above statement?

is this a lsd from b16a (14 bolts and smaller FD id)?
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/623/dsc00289s.th.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00289s.jpg)
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5899/dsc00290q.th.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00290q.jpg)

gambate
31-03-2009, 08:50 PM
anyone?

btw, for those that had opened up a non LSD b16a gearbox, is it using a 14 bolt final drive ring gear?
ie, if the above LSD fit into non LSD b16a gearbox without changing ring gear to suit?

nigs
31-03-2009, 11:56 PM
LOL WUT.

LSD - Leaves 2 black lines on the road.

AndreaCivic
01-04-2009, 08:47 AM
LOL WUT.

LSD - Leaves 2 black lines on the road.

lol :thumbsup:

delsol9000rpms
01-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I had a b16a non-lsd gearbox... I changed the final drive.. The ring gear had 10 bolts.

Here's a pic... There is 10 of those holes but sorry you cant see all the way around.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3649/pic678oo7.jpg

Limbo
02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
i'm abit confused by your statement. If you get a b16 to fit a ITR/CTR LSD you need to change the final drive/ring gear.

anyone?

btw, for those that had change FD on non LSD b16a gearbox, is it using a 14 bolt ring gear?
ie, if the above LSD fit into non LSD b16a gearbox without changing ring gear to suit?

gambate
02-04-2009, 08:14 PM
the oem LSD pic i posted is not ITR/CTR LSD. its the "optional" B16a lsd (pending confirmation from those that has seen it before)
it has 14 bolts pattern. i believe all ITR/CTR LSD is 10 bolts.

so now we have 2 variable:
1. ID of FD ring gear
2. bolts pattern on LSD / FD ring gear

b16 to fit a ITR/CTR LSD: need to change the final drive/ring gear is because of variable no1 (afaik).

i need to know more about variable no2:
is this 14 bolts pattern only unique to these "optional LSD b16a" gearbox or not?

open diff b16: ID of FD? bolt pattern of FD?
oem LSD b16a:ID of FD? bolt pattern of FD?
open diff b18:ID of FD? bolt pattern of FD?
oem LSD b18: ID of FD? bolt pattern of FD?
etc etc

delsol9000rpms
04-04-2009, 06:37 PM
that final drive was for a open diff b16a so that would mean it has a 10 bolt