PDA

View Full Version : Engine startup issue..

b18cfreak
18-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Hey guys, I have just got my car back from having the engine rebuilt (again)..
Its a b18c (1998 gsr) bored out to 2L and that's basically the jist of it, now when i start the car it will kick over but be idling violently at what looks like 100rpms barely kicked over type of thing, so i'll turn it off straight away when that happens and wait a sec or two then kick it over again and it usually starts up perfectly fine then, some times i'll start it the first time and it will be idling at 400rpms a bit rough and hesitant to rev up to normal but after a second or two it revs itself up and smooths out like normal..

Now then this has been happening since the first rebuild, but the first time it got rebuilt the car was blowing smoke, was really tappy sounding etc so it went back in 3 months ago and turns out that there was a hair line crack in number 3 cylinder and that's what was causing most of my problems with oil, water etc etc. So the engine got rebuilt again with extra care, now i have my car back and have been driving it for a couple of days now, the engine feels really tight, its quiet and runs really smoothly, the oil and water is spot on every morning when i check it, it really feels spot on except the startup thing is still happening... ?

Now this brings me to my question.. The engine is running off a obd2 type-r ecu which is completely wrong for the original engine let alone the internal mods it now has, now the car definately needs a new ecu because you can feel it hesitate a little when lightly accelerating from low rpms (2k - 3.5k feels a bit hesitant and every now and then might sputter a little, definately to me seems like a tuning issue) but i was wondering if maybe this could be the source of my startup problem.. can an ecu cause my problem if its not tuned right or if its wrong etc? I'm just a bit worried as i really don't want to be sending my car back in for another rebuild because something internally has gone wrong again.. (all the rebuilds are under warranty) It's a real pain in the ass having this sweet car with vtec and not being able to drive it coz it's in the workshop all the time... anyway plz let me know your thoughts on whether this is the problem or other things i might beable to check.

Thank you