PDA

View Full Version : Removing Air Con.. how?

Dxs
18-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Hey guys, i drive an EF8 CRX. Which is a recent import so i believe the air con gas has been removed prior to it being imported.

I am toying with the idea to remove the air con.
Just wondering the process i should go about it and if there are any downsides.

So far i am thinking:
remove compressor
remove the radiator type thing
piping

What i am curious on is about removing the belt for the compressor and if this will affect anything / put anything out of sync.

Also is the AC system connected to the coolant system do i need to plug up anything.

so yeah just after a full step by step and info
cheers

Zilli
18-05-2006, 02:43 PM
just rip i out mate, cutting the belt of will make the car slghtly more responsive as theres less effort turning another object

Slow96GSR
18-05-2006, 03:14 PM
You really only loose about 5 hp at the wheels with a/c. Taking it out will make you 30 pounds lighter and have 5 more hp!

Dxs
18-05-2006, 03:23 PM
so it is just a matter of unbolting? and cutting the belt?

do i need to seal anything off?
and i presume the belt is just for the AC and nothing only?

Zilli
18-05-2006, 03:23 PM
You really only loose about 5 hp at the wheels with a/c. Taking it out will make you 30 pounds lighter and have 5 more hp!

i would presume that you would lose that 5hp at the wheels when the aircon is swithced on yeh?

weezer
18-05-2006, 03:40 PM
so it is just a matter of unbolting? and cutting the belt?

do i need to seal anything off?
and i presume the belt is just for the AC and nothing only?

You can get a cover that covers the AC holes in the firewall. Its an OEM part that you can get from honda. If you want you could take out the AC box under the dash.

bennjamin
18-05-2006, 03:58 PM
i was bored one day...and got it all out (engine bay wise) in abut 30 mins.

STEP ONE ~ take to a qualified auto-electrician to remove all teh gas for you. Its only like $15 and illegal to vent (and toxic too)
Then
Just loosen the PS pulley , remove the belt (will have to take the passenger side mount off ~ you can just cut the AC belt it if not using again). Remove the 2 bolts holding the metal pipes to the evaporator , cooler etc and simply take abit of time slowly getting them out. Dont go overboard as these pipes will bend and will BREAK if bent too far.
4 x long bolts and the actual AC compressor is off the front of the engine :)
as for HP gain ? None id say. But the engine revs alittle smoother (less resistance?) and the less weight over the front axle is noticeable mid corner in initial turn in.

Dxs
18-05-2006, 07:45 PM
anyway of checking if the there is any gas..
if i recall the AC doesnt work so the gas in once sense is dead..
but because it is a 15 yr old import it would have been degassed in japan before export.. and i extremely doubt the backyard importer regassed it

do i just press the tyre like valve on the line and see if there is any pressure?

JasonGilholme
18-05-2006, 08:17 PM
if you do wear a mask just in case. and maybe get a small bucket or something to collect the vapour in. Who knows what that shit could do to your paint, your car or even yourself!!!!.

Let us know how it goes. I was only thinkin about doin this today.

egSi
18-05-2006, 08:30 PM
easy as man. just go to an auto elec. save u some trouble and then unbolt as explained

highly recommend no aircon.

Dxs
18-05-2006, 11:03 PM
y auto elec?
for degassing?

bennjamin
19-05-2006, 07:46 AM
y auto elec?
for degassing?

STEP ONE ~ take to a qualified auto-electrician to remove all teh gas for you. Its only like $15 and illegal to vent (and toxic too)

As above explained...;)

Dxs
19-05-2006, 11:07 AM
alright
cheers

i will remove the bastard when i can be bothered

Newcivic
28-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Got pics yO ?! of the a/c compressor ?!

chunky
28-05-2006, 10:10 PM
nnnnnnnnoooooooooooo not the air con what about those hot sweaty days?
whos gonna save you?

EGB16A
30-05-2006, 02:58 PM
nnnnnnnnoooooooooooo not the air con what about those hot sweaty days?
whos gonna save you?

AGREE!!!

I got no aircon, and can't wait to get it put back in. At first its all fun and games, because you are getting free power. Its crap, keep the aircon!! Think of those shitty hot days where your stuck in traffic and the sun is belting down on you, and there isn't any breeze coming in the window!

Goble
30-05-2006, 04:13 PM
i rekon ditch it the engine bay looks cleaner without it!

EGB16A
30-05-2006, 04:37 PM
i rekon ditch it the engine bay looks cleaner without it!

an advantage if you have a show car, or drive around frequently with the bonnet off:cool:

Farkis
30-05-2006, 08:19 PM
you guys are weak if you cant handle a bit of sun it aint that hot jeez,

i removed didnt feel much benefit but i got 200$ from wreckers and i still got the compressor lying around and yeah it does look much cleaner. and if you wanna put a full length radiator in you can eg. teg

aimre
30-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Oi seriously, imagine a 40' day... driving on the freeway, no shade, car is like 60' inside... and u cant even put down the windows, all u get is hot air.

aircon is ur friend really.

Farkis
30-05-2006, 09:16 PM
get your windows fixed, theres your 2 aircons there i dont need to imagine i dont have air con and i drive in that in summer not bad toughen up

Dxs
29-10-2006, 09:32 PM
ok..
there is a 2 fans on the radiator..
one is on the passenger side and next to the compressor

i belive this is only used for the aircon? Correct????

if so what is it's purpose.. and i presume i can remove this too??

ECU-MAN
29-10-2006, 10:00 PM
the smaller fan is for the AC.

its purpose if to move air over the condensor to remove the heat from the condensor.

before you remove it, see if it turns on when your thermo fan turns on. if it doesnt then you can remove it with out any major problem.

Dxs
30-10-2006, 12:45 PM
http://i14.tinypic.com/4bgh5rt.jpg
thanks for that ecuman..

just wanna make sure on everything to make the removal swift and easy...
eventhough that diagram is for LHD, i am sure all the electrical is in the same spot.. so i am gonna rip it all out..

when remove the wires from the fuse box is there any suggestions on how to do this? maybe there is a clip?

also weezer said i can get plugs for the air con gas lines from honda.. i am wondering if i can remove the piping upto the firewall.. all i can see is that there will still be say 50 cm of pipe still from the firewall.. i am wondering if it is possible to detach the piping @ the firewall?

string
30-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Leave the wiring. You may want to put it back in if you ever sell the car. Wiring weighs nothing, pumps do.

Don't cut the belt either, just take it off like a non sadistic human. Do you cut your radiator hoses when you remove them? Didn't think so.

R-134A is far from a toxic gas (though perhaps an 80's model honda might use R-12), it's about as dangerous as any other gas which is heavier than air, but if you think your 1kg of refrigerant will make a difference to global warming, then by all means pay the man.

You will notice a difference of zero by removing the air con. Any response you feel will be placebo. I removed mine so I could fit a 3" dump pipe with stock cross member.

I don't know where you live but if it's north nsw or higher, forget it. Humidity will royally butt **** you in traffic. In newcastle it's fine as it doesn't get that humid, just blisteringly sunny, which combined with a breeze, means no worries (just turn the fan on if need be). Plus, I don't care for the comfort of my passengers.

Unless you have a seriously modified car though, or you seriously don't want air-con for a reason, leave it in. You will definately regret it otherwise.

ECU-MAN
30-10-2006, 09:43 PM
if you want to compleately remove the AC, remove the compressor, condensor, lines, reciver drier, but leave the evaporator in place as the heater wont work if you dont have it their.

if you like you can remove the evaporar core from its housing and refit just the housing.

leave the wiring in place. their isnt muck of it and it wont way much.

Dxs
30-10-2006, 11:28 PM
thanks guys..
ECU-MAN what exactly is the evaporator core?
the thing in the dash?

as u can see in the details < i live in melb.. i rarely use AC.. 15 year rule imports get degassed anyway before importation.. and mine hasnt been refilled.. i pressed the release valve to check for gas and some came out for 2 seconds max.. so no one regassed it (backyard importer and i think it is illegal?)

and string.. i am sadistic :kiss2:

Dxs
30-10-2006, 11:43 PM
ah,
evaporator core = heater core..
thing in the dash

good good

ECU-MAN
30-10-2006, 11:45 PM
this is the evaporator,

ist not the heater box, they are different

look at the for sale thread I have in my sig for a pic of each item

http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/sale/evaporator.jpg

Dxs
31-10-2006, 12:27 AM
ok so leave everything in the dash... and the heater should be fine..

string
31-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah it'll be fine, the cold setting on your HVAC will just give you cabin/outside temperature air (which will still pass through the evaporator core).

If you ever care about engineering in the future however, they may not like the idea of the hoses poking through the firewall; but cops likely won't care.

Dxs
31-10-2006, 10:58 PM
thanks string...

thursday is gonna be a busy day for mr sadism :kiss2: