PDA

View Full Version : EG clutch

C.I.SIvic
18-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Hey just been driving my civic today and yeah...the clutch has finally given way... Gears are crunching all ova the place...not happy where is good place to get clutch replaced in melb? (Pref S.E. suburbs) And how much do i expect to pay? i got it quoted 475 and they said all this stuff abt machining the flywheel, is this neccessary?

Jus wanna get mih ride back on the road...

marte
18-05-2006, 08:44 PM
its not neccessary but hey other people are gonna pay extra to get the flywheel machined
the quote u got atm is a pretty good deal if its a new clutch and machiend fly

dfekm3
18-05-2006, 10:14 PM
while the car is in parts, you might as well have the fly wheel machined.. its a nightmare taking hte engine apart haha

C.I.SIvic
18-05-2006, 10:16 PM
are there much advantages to machining the fly? I dun see how it will make a difference... lower moment of inertia due to insignificantly less rotating mass? it dun makes ne sense

hoonda
18-05-2006, 10:48 PM
if you get a new clutch the flywheel ought to be machined as well-

the clutch and the flywheel ought be 'mated' or 'matched up' for your system to last any length of time. If the flywheel is not machined it will be 'lumpy' and wont be able to hold as stong and will wear out quicker.

sorta like when you wear the shite out of brake pads so they scratch the disc- same thing.

for the cost, its worth machining it as clutch is a pain to replace, so you dont want to be doing it unecessarily

$475 is about standard price..although for the same money as replacing with a stock item you may want to consider a stronger clutch plate (such as Daikin/Exedy). Most places have them stock on hand as they are pretty popular, so no excessive waiting time either..

Nuttz
19-05-2006, 06:49 PM
are there much advantages to machining the fly? I dun see how it will make a difference... lower moment of inertia due to insignificantly less rotating mass? it dun makes ne sense

i think your confusing machining with lightening.
machining= to sand the surface of fly wheel to make sure its perfectly flat.
lightening= to grind the surface of the flywheel until it gets thinner and therefore lighter.

;)

C.I.SIvic
20-05-2006, 06:08 PM
nah lol was jus being sarcastic lol as in when u machine it u lose a bit of mass hehe..yea bought 1 and yer i think ima gunna attempt a DIYage and get mih mate to have fly machined.