PDA

View Full Version : Installing head unit w preouts

simbadda54
18-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey guys, i have a fair idea of how to install a head unit but i have no idea about the preout wires etc. Are they just extra wires that go into the loom or do i have to run a separate wire thru the carpet or something to the amp. As u can see im pretty noob. Any help would be appreciated

mooseboy
18-05-2006, 10:52 PM
The Pre-Out wires are RCA wires- You will need to run them to your amplifier.

Usually a 5metre RCA lead will suffice in length for most cars.

Fr3aKi3
18-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey guys, i have a fair idea of how to install a head unit but i have no idea about the preout wires etc. Are they just extra wires that go into the loom or do i have to run a separate wire thru the carpet or something to the amp. As u can see im pretty noob. Any help would be appreciated

You can use those preout wires to connect the headunit to an amp (if the amp has a wiring loom as well) but it's much better to use RCA's intead of the preout wires. Most headunit's these days have a pair of RCA's (Front and Rear), some have another set for a sub.

zorrt
18-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Unless you plan to run ur rca cable through the middle of the car preferably something more than 5m is best. On a corolla a 5m cable to run through the middle is already a bitch to wire up. Best to run power and rca cable opposite from each other as far as possible. Meaning on either side of the vehicle. Also high rated pre-outs is always better. Minimise chances of distortion.

simbadda54
19-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Ive already got a crappy sony headdeck which already has rcas running to my amp. can i use those rcas instead of running new ones or do i need other ones? If so, it would be hella lot quicker for me to get it up and running. The headunit im buyin is a JVC one. cant remember the model number though. I think its the most current ones they have. XX-5XX i think it was

Fr3aKi3
19-05-2006, 08:15 AM
If the deck is already connected to the amp via RCA's then you won't need to run any more RCA cables (unless you've only got 2 sets of RCA's and want to add a third).

zorrt
19-05-2006, 09:17 AM
yep its always easier to use existing cables and cheaper too.

simbadda54
19-05-2006, 11:47 AM
ok cheers guys. Saved me 50 bucks. There are only 2 rcas running to the amp by the way.

Fr3aKi3
19-05-2006, 12:14 PM
just a single set of RCA's?

It's either for the front or for the sub

simbadda54
19-05-2006, 02:34 PM
the front is being run off the headunit so im guessing its for the sub. so yea i think by just plugging everything in as it was i should get sub control

zorrt
19-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Yea depending if your HU had sub preouts to begin with. Normally if theres only 2 sets of preouts = no sub preout. You can still use it for sub but you'll have to set cut off frequency to cut out all the freq. you dont want your sub to play.