PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging 81 Civic EN1

VL_Commy
30-04-2004, 01:56 AM
ok well i have a spare SC14 supercharger of a toyota 1GGZE engine and i'm looking at fitting it to the EN1 in my 81 civic. Can anyone see any obvious problems with doing so? and/or offer any pointers.

Compression shouldnt be a problem as the engine already runs fairly low compression doesnt it? only problem i can really see is getting the drive pulley on the crank, and relocating the carby to before the blower. Anything else?

2ds
30-04-2004, 10:21 AM
welcome to the board, this probably belongs in the technical or forced induction forums, a helpfull mod will probably move it soon =)

-2ds

VL_Commy
03-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Mods?? Could you please move this to the forced induction forum??

Setanta
03-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Better move is to B16A it - there's one in malaysia and the motor is a lot better than the EN1. Compression is about 9:1 I think off the top of my head. I doubt the carb will handle the fuel delivery required unless you drop in an aftermarket one. I know that the RayJay turbocharging kit I had for the EB motor required a 40mm dual-throat Solex sidedraft carb. Boost was at 14 PSI though and the turbo was HUGE. Rods will need to be strengthened and prolly the pistons as well, I had to do that with a high comp EB3 motor that I dropped EN1 pistons, rods and crank into - after the 2nd rebuild I kept the crank and went to aftermarket rods and pistons. Might have been my engine building, but it ran reliably after that.

VL_Commy
05-05-2004, 10:45 PM
say i was to use the current carby, i want to relocate it to below the blower of course, how would i go about secureing the intake ---> carby, and carby-->blower intake piping. There isnt much of a flange on the carby inlet so how would i keep the intake piping held onto it??

Also there is like a plastic gasket with a hose going into it that the carby gets mounted on top of. would i leave this where it is when i move the carby, or should it be moved with it?

Setanta
05-05-2004, 11:47 PM
There are webber downdraft kits available for the 1300 manifold - ask for one for an SBC (EB1/2/3 motor) and get the downdraft that goes with it. It will flow a lot better and deliver fuel a lot more effectively. The stock one wont handle the pressure going through it and will most likely lean out - it was a cruddy carb that leans out easily. They are a pain to re-jet (lack of parts availabilty, the webber is a more universal carb) Alternatively, go to a wreckers and find the carb of an early turbo car - get an adaptor made up and use that with the appropriate jets.