PDA

View Full Version : door jam?!?!?

Why_Try
19-05-2006, 06:11 PM
hey guys just wondering has anyone ever came across a door jam before. well this has all of a sudden happened to me, and was wondering if anyone knows how to take a look inside, and maybe fix or take what the hell is prevented my door from opening. i'm dismantling my interior door and yet still can't get a whole thing off. much help appreciated

marte
19-05-2006, 06:17 PM
any accidents lately? your hinges maybee?

Zdster
19-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Might have to do with the catch/clasp being bent? I have no idea how to get to it as I have only every tinkered with it with the door open. My suggestion would be to have a look from the door side - ie remove the door trim and look through one of the holes in the door panel (if you need a hand removing the door trim let me know).

Why_Try
19-05-2006, 06:21 PM
um... no accidents since i had the car. i've already taken the plastic stuff out from the window switches and the door handle from inside. i can't seem to find anymore screws so i can pull the thing off.

Zdster
19-05-2006, 06:31 PM
um... no accidents since i had the car. i've already taken the plastic stuff out from the window switches and the door handle from inside. i can't seem to find anymore screws so i can pull the thing off.

From memory, most of the screws are accessed from the front. Thought maybe you could jiggle it around and free things up. I suppose the next best thing to do is to take it to a mechanic/Honda dealership and see if they can figure it out.

Nuttz
19-05-2006, 06:42 PM
so does your door half open? like its loose but still cant swing it completely open? or is it completley shut tight and you cant open it??

if its the second problem, your locks could be stuck. see if you can lock unlock using the rods inside the door.

Why_Try
19-05-2006, 06:43 PM
well thanks... dunno how much it'll cost so much for saving up for the coilovers :P

Why_Try
19-05-2006, 06:47 PM
um... the door is completely shut, cannot open the driver's door. have to always enter from teh passenger cause two door. my alarm system doesn't seem to lock or unlock the doors. the lock won't budge, if i try to pull or push it to unlock it just goes back the orginal position.

EuroDude
19-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Sounds like the lock solenoid has gone bad. I would spray some WD40 down the lock cavity to loosen it up a bit.

You could try removing the internal door cover and get into the frame to dislodge/push up the lock mechanism by hand, make sure the window is up when you do it.

panda[cRx]
19-05-2006, 07:41 PM
hmmmm sounds kinda similar to what happened to me a long time ago (but with ur door closed) http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10667

i actually now have the same problem on my drivers side door but my car is off the road so i haven't tackled it yet. the hard part will be getting access to inside the door trim while your door is closed =/

Why_Try
19-05-2006, 08:00 PM
so what did you do panda?!?!? or you just sent it to the mechanics to be fixed?!?! cause i'm afraid of doing damage to the interior and making it worse off than it is already

EuroDude
19-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Dont bring it to a Honda dealer because they will rip you a new one.

If the WD40 trick didnt work, take it to an auto mech - it shouldnt cost much. It may simply be something loose or misaligned, requiring no parts.

It wont hurt to attempt to fix it yourself as long as you are gentle.
If you cant get the door interior off, remove the handle plastic (one screw) and jiggle the metal rod around while you lift up the door lock knob.

Zdster
19-05-2006, 10:00 PM
It wont hurt to attempt to fix it yourself as long as you are gentle.
If you cant get the door interior off, remove the handle plastic (one screw) and jiggle the metal rod around while you lift up the door lock knob.

Im not sure that it is the lock that is the issue? From what I understand it is either the hinge is misaligned or the clasp where the door attaches to the body?

EuroDude
19-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Im not sure that it is the lock that is the issue? From what I understand it is either the hinge is misaligned or the clasp where the door attaches to the body?

He says "the lock won't budge, if i try to pull or push it to unlock it just goes back the orginal position.", which to me indicates the lock mechanism is at fault :)

skinnyboy
19-05-2006, 10:43 PM
How much of the door trim have you managed to remove?

Theres a few screws in the door like under the door pull trim as well, also the door trim is held on to the door frame by push in clips called scrivets. You will need to give the trim a good tug to remove it. If you can't get to it because the seat is in the way you might need to remove your drivers seat, which is easy, just unplug the harness from underneath and pop the covers off the ends of the rails. The seat rails are bolted to the flor by 17mm (i think) bolts. A 1/2" ratchet and a longer handle might be the go here if you havent got impact tools.

My diagnoses is that the rod that pushes down the door lock inside has dislodged from the lock/handle. Once you get the door trim off, peel back the plastic inner liner and get a torch in there to check, you should be able to pull the handle rod up with your fingers or some longnose pliers.

Post some pics up of your progress and a close up of the door, havent worked on an EM for a while so it might jog my memory!

Cheers

Zdster
19-05-2006, 11:18 PM
He says "the lock won't budge, if i try to pull or push it to unlock it just goes back the orginal position.", which to me indicates the lock mechanism is at fault :)

Ah, my mistake. Didnt read it properly :p. If that is the case then it does sound like the lock mechanism might have fallen apart.

panda[cRx]
20-05-2006, 11:14 AM
so what did you do panda?!?!? or you just sent it to the mechanics to be fixed?!?! cause i'm afraid of doing damage to the interior and making it worse off than it is already

the first time i just pulled the door trim off myself, ripped out the old part and went to the wrecker to get another one.

now with my current door problem i'm not worrying about it yet lol, i'm just gonna take it into work and get it fixed at mates rates. i could have a crack at it myself but i'd honestly just pay to get it fixed and save the headaches lol

Why_Try
20-05-2006, 11:38 AM
thankfully for my first DIY job everything seems to be alright now. um... this morning when there was finally light... i found extra screws to pull out, forgot about the speakers. but still couldn't pull the interior of the door out, so i basically tested on the passenger door; worked perfectly fine. i pulled everthing apart.however i realised that i did this all with the door opened. pretty much after and hour of two got frustrated and just couldn't be bothered with being gentle so i pushed the interior panel until the there was some sort of movement. to put it short, it was something to do with the rods connecting from the lock and unlock button to the central locking. basically i pulled everything out to see what was wrong, added some WD40 and just placed it back with some hope. now it seems fine. well thanks all, much of your opinions helped quite a bit so thanks again, saved me from going to the mechanics.

EuroDude
20-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Thought as much, good work :)