PDA

View Full Version : questions on turbo / super chargin' my civic

xcwizit
19-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Sup people..
I'v got a '96 Civic VTi EK.

I don't know much bout turbo or super charging civics.:confused: I want to turbo charge my civic. Just got a few questions....

1. Turbo charge or super charge civic?? And why??
2. How much $$$ for the kits each???
3. What's included in the kits (FMIC, piping, turbo etc. etc.)?
4. What other changes would i need to do to the car (eg. new sports clutch,
exhaust system all the way etc. etc.)
5. How much would it cost to install the kits?
6. How much more kw's will the car pull afterwards?

That's all the questions i got for now... I mite have more later~!!!

Any advice and feedback will be very much apreciated!!!

EuroDude
19-05-2006, 10:56 PM
There are so many options, how much do you want to spend?

Generally...

1. Turbo charging will give you more power in the higher revs, supercharging will provide more torque down low. Its better to turbo a Civic.

2. Kits range from around $1500-$10000+ depending on how much power

4. An upgraded clutch will be needed if its a decent turbo, the most important is a brake upgrade for legal reasons. You may need to get higher flowing fuel injectors depending on psi.

6. Depends on how much psi and how much u wanna spend. 50kw->200kw+

xcwizit
20-05-2006, 12:35 AM
say for example i only weant to spend around $2000 for the turbo kit...
What knd of turbos wuold i be looking at ???
Whould it be an aftermarket turbo or one from another car???

EuroDude
20-05-2006, 12:48 AM
The engine is a B16A yeah? There are alot of options for this engine, google for B16A+turbo

Plus there is heaps of info in these forums, clicky:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?searchid=17698

A member called '_kris' has/had a turbo EK VTi-R, u may wanna PM him about specifics: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?u=6449

marte
20-05-2006, 04:00 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?searchid=17698 >> link doesnt work eurodude

Ru$kI
20-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Dude u got a 96 EK sedan ay from what I can remember. I recall ur thread how u snapped up ur car for a bargain n a half. Well if i am correct, then ur engine is the same as mine, ie D16Y5. If i mixd u up wid sum1 else, then ignore the below bit :p

If u wanna do engine mods then i suggest possibly getting a DOHC VTEC engine to begin with...i've never heard anyone turbocharging / supercharging a SOHC non-VTEC engine since they by themselves arent really 'performance' engines. The D16Y5 only puts out 88kw stock.

Q_ball
20-05-2006, 09:51 AM
If u wanna do engine mods then i suggest possibly getting a DOHC VTEC engine to begin with...i've never heard anyone turbocharging / supercharging a SOHC non-VTEC engine since they by themselves arent really 'performance' engines. The D16Y5 only puts out 88kw stock.
There are plenty of FI D-series engines around, maybe not in Australia, but definately over in the States!
If you turbo/supercharge any engine, it'll turn it into some sort of performance, regardless of what it's like b4 the conversion!
Turbocharging your D-series engine will increase performance considerably, however reliability is a different story (not saying that it cant be reliable tho, jst dont wanna go into detail).
Now, if you only have 2K to play with, i wouldnt go turbo at all.
Theres jst too many things to upgrade that 2k jst cannot cover.
Just support parts, ie clutch, brakes will be over 1k, leaving u with 1k to do pretty much nothing.
Save up more, minimum id recommend is 5k, THEN consider turbo charging your D-series motor.

nugget666
20-05-2006, 10:03 AM
what would be recomanded if ytou wanted say performance of about a stocko commodore.

but wanted to keep the d16y..

I have bought my ek1 but the engine is so young (45,000) So i dont want to scrap the engine for a b16,b18.

What would a supercharger kit cost say for running 7 psi safely.

Q_ball
20-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Stock commodores arent all that - turbo chargin you ek1 will easily be better than a standard v6 commo!
Supercharger costs, NFI!
Turbo wise, it really depends wat sort of kit u get.
You can easily run 7psi on stock internals with a simple bolt on kit, roughly 4-5k, dependant on brands, and where you buy it from.

nugget666
20-05-2006, 11:22 AM
i didnt mean commodores are fast.. i just ment thats the sort of power i would be happy with.

So i could safely run say 7 - 9 psi on a turbo kit.

and cost 4-5k with installation or just for parts.

Q_ball
20-05-2006, 11:33 AM
7-9psi should be fine, but theres a lot of things to consider, the tune, condition of the engine etc.
4-5k is jst for the kit, excludes installation.
Most places would charge roughly another 1k for labour with a bolt on kit.

nugget666
20-05-2006, 11:34 AM
o ok thanks for hte info.

iamhappy46
20-05-2006, 01:30 PM
The original poster has a EK VTi, so I assume a SOHC VTEC engine.

There are plenty of turbo upgrade kits for this engine but you will need to budget more than $2000 to get it done. Minimum of $3000 for a decent reliable job.

Ru$kI
21-05-2006, 02:02 PM
the 96 EK VTI is a non-VTEC....im dead sure of it...done crap-loads of research into it.

marte
21-05-2006, 02:20 PM
vti is vtech sohc.
vtir is dohc
yes you will need to budget more then just the kit, vtech engines require some engine work
and a proper tuningif u dont wanna blow ur engine

mugeneration
21-05-2006, 04:59 PM
the 96 EK VTI is a non-VTEC....im dead sure of it...done crap-loads of research into it.

Vti means its got VTEC doesnt it? Prolly SOHC tho if thats wat u mean?

Zdster
21-05-2006, 09:24 PM
My suggestions would be to start researching the different options as it is not something I would undertake lightly.

I don't know much bout turbo or super charging civics.:confused: I want to turbo charge my civic. Just got a few questions....

1. Turbo charge or super charge civic?? And why??

This quote suggests to me that you really need to search a bit harder. Turboing/supercharging is not like sticking a new gearknob on your car. There are lots of alternatives/lots of options/ways of building a turboed car and if you go about it in the wrong manner not only will you have wasted a lot of money but it might also be an expensive repair bill.

xcwizit
21-05-2006, 09:27 PM
to RUSKI: yes i am the same guy who made the thread regarding buying my car for a bargain. and yes my engine's a D16Y5..!! It is a SOHC.. and from wat i know it is VTEC but Single not Double.

to EVERYONE ELSE: I want to budget around $2k just for the turbo kit alone. i will spend extra 2 cater for the clutch, upgrading brakes and so on...

If i did get a turbo put on it, i wouldn't want to change my engine since it's only done 50,000 kms.

I don't want to do the works or as some people say "go the whole nine yards". I'm not that serious dudes!! :cool: . I just want a basic turbo and front mount intercooler.
Zdster EDIT: What you are suggesting is illegal. All racing should be undertaken on a track only!

I know a guy who owns a hyundai coupe with a turbo (i think a GTR turbo) and with a front mount intercooler running standard boost (6-7psi) with no other upgrades or modifications (besides exhaust) or engine convesions either!
And his car runs perfect and quik!!

Q_ball
21-05-2006, 09:34 PM
to RUSKI: yes i am the same guy who made the thread regarding buying my car for a bargain. and yes my engine's a D16Y5..!! It is a SOHC.. and from wat i know it is VTEC but Single not Double.

to EVERYONE ELSE: I want to budget around $2k just for the turbo kit alone. i will spend extra 2 cater for the clutch, upgrading brakes and so on...

If i did get a turbo put on it, i wouldn't want to change my engine since it's only done 50,000 kms.

I don't want to do the works or as some people say "go the whole nine yards". I'm not that serious dudes!! :cool: . I just want a basic turbo and front mount intercooler.
Zdster EDIT

I know a guy who owns a hyundai coupe with a turbo (i think a GTR turbo) and with a front mount intercooler running standard boost (6-7psi) with no other upgrades or modifications (besides exhaust) or engine convesions either!
And his car runs perfect and quik!!
Just a couple things wrong with this post:

1) Seriously mate, 2k aint enough for any sorta decent turbo kit. Its just not feasible I'm afraid.

2) A turbo kit, DOESNT just involve an FMIC, turbo and BOV...not quite as simple as that. From your post about ya mates Hyundai, i'm gettin the impression that you still have quite a lot to learn about turbo kits before you actually put ur thoughts into practice.

3) Running some "c*unt on the rd" as you so put it, is illegal - and therefore should not be discussed on the forum! Keep such talks about "owning" some other civic driver to the track/drags discussions.

Q_ball
21-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Oh and another thing...
Your EK, aint no Hyundai Coupe therefore u cant compare the two!
Stock for stock, the Coupe would out do the EK in every way possible, straight line and cornering! ;)

kongfu
21-05-2006, 09:41 PM
I think turbo kit is more reliable for civic.
You need at about 3k at least to spend.

Zdster
21-05-2006, 10:07 PM

Please try and post constructive posts. You are right, $2000 would not get you a very good setup, however turboing any naturally asperated car has to be undertaken with a deal of knowledge.

You cant say that any one car will be more reliable than another. This has to do with many things including, the strength of the motor (its internals such as pistons, rods, rings etc), what 'kit' or turbo parts are put on an engine, how the car is tuned etc etc etc. There is no 'easy' turbo from my understanding.

marte
21-05-2006, 10:28 PM
you could simply ask other OH members how much it set them back. theres a few here with vti turbo's
As Zdsters said before, comparing other cars and saying a bolt on kit works fine, is not comparable with your civic. Getting a decent turbo kit and fmic, custom manifold etc is giong to set you way more then 2k. Upgrading ur brakes clutch are essential hell even your ehaust.
The most essential part of turbo'ing your car is tuning it. If you want your engine to last then yyou gotta go get it tuned properly. This may set you abit back.
But hey if you wanna go turbo u gotta do it right!

Geekstar
21-05-2006, 10:40 PM
for 2kish you mite aswell get a engine transplant, b16A would do fine i think. Turbo is like to compliated and cost alot, i was gona turbo my ek cxi too but it all adds up in the long run. The new manifold was like already 2k+ -.- civic + turbo = $$$ and a lot of it too

tegy_boi
22-05-2006, 03:15 AM

first of all.. turbo will cost u less den supercharging your engine, depending on wat kits or parts you wanna get. Supercharging your engine is mOre reliable than Turbocharging it. But turbocharging will get you more power depending how much you pay for. but with 2 grand i hope u find all the parts to make it run safely..
UNLESS u can get second hand parts or find dem for cheaper.
=)

Q_ball
22-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Seriously, if your budget is 2k, dont bother!

jdm_kid
22-05-2006, 07:06 PM
dont forget u have to get it tune ! and thats like $700ish !!
if ur gunna turbo ur civic then dont be a tightass other wise its just gunna give u problems

Ru$kI
22-05-2006, 10:00 PM
with regard to the D16Y5 engine....my 96 EK is an automatic....which uses CVT transmission...so maybe the manual is SOHC VTEC and the auto is simply SOHC...but that woud seem stupid as they both have the same engine code, meaning they have the same engine. if you go to http://www.dohc-vtec.com.au/pages/specs.htm it shows there that the D16Y5 engine is simply an SOHC engine, where as the coupe is the SOHC VTEC with an engine D16Y8

Geekstar
22-05-2006, 11:13 PM
nah its only SOHC. ive got a manual n yeh no vtec =(. oh yeh GREDDY have bolt on civic turbo kits they're bout $2.5k+ish thats just the kit not installing tuning, etc etc. but yeh if you really want turbo sell your ek n get a FC rx-7 13B!!

Q_ball
22-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Show me the link for GREDDY bolt on turbo kits for 2.5k?

Geekstar
22-05-2006, 11:43 PM
http://www.greddy.com/, click on TURBO menu(on left) then BOLT-ON TURBO KITS, the price is up a bit $2.6k+ my bad.

Q_ball
22-05-2006, 11:47 PM
www.greddy.com is an American site, so the prices are all in US$.
Double the prices listed, and you'll get a rough idea as to how much you'll pay for a kit like that in AU$.