PDA

View Full Version : Brake squeal - help

Alpine
20-05-2006, 08:24 AM
On my wife's CR-V, lately every time I step on the brakes to stop, the brakes squeal quite loudly.

I recently had the car serviced at Honda and asked them to address this issue. They "deglazed the pads and machined the rotors". This got rid of the squealing only to return a few days later. Now it has become quite loud.

What causes this and how do I get rid of it? Is it the pads??

Fr3aKi3
20-05-2006, 09:11 AM
What pads are being used on the CRV?

From my experience's Bendix pads make quite a bit of noise.

Alpine
20-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Stock - whatever pads came with the car brand new.

EuroDude
20-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Sounds like they didnt apply anti-squeel compound to the pads, or at least they missed some metal->metal areas.

aaronng
20-05-2006, 01:12 PM
I had squealing as well on my Euro. I took out the pads, removed the old anti-sieze compound and reapplied a new layer. For some reason, the squaling stopped ever since.

EuroDude
22-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Yep happened to my Civic. Re-applying the compound stopped the noise.

I cant believe some mechs dont even bother to put the compound on, and when the customer comes back complaining of the noise, the mech says its "normal" :rolleyes:

bOoStn
22-05-2006, 09:13 PM
How old is the car? I would assume they checked the remaining life of the brakes? On the inner pads, there is a metal tab, which when the pad wears down, it hits the disc, and gives off a squealing noise so you know your brake pads are due for replacement.
Just a thought anyway

EuroDude
22-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Another reason could be that the brake pads are incorrect (wrong size).

Once I bought some pads and the bottom notch didnt completely fit in the housing (despite being the correct Honda part number), which caused excess vibration and hence noise.

Cant recall how I fixed it, I think I returned them for another set but they too didnt fit properly, so I applied some compound to the notch, and problem solved.