PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Ed Civic Starting Problem>>>

Jord
20-05-2006, 04:47 PM
i own a 1989 honda civic Ed and was installing a jaycar paging alarm...

ok heres wat happened:

i was installing a immobiliser relay into the ignition this arvo all was going well got it all in checked to see if it would work and yes it did.

got it all back in place everything was right.

then the car wouldnt start the starter motor ticks over and there i power getting to the distributer but there is no spark near the spark leads....

my mechanic mate who was with me has absolutley no idea wat we have done.

i have checked all the fuses in the main fuse box inside the car and the one above the right hand strut aswell.... is there more fuses somewhere on the ED body?

i have checked that power is getting there with the multi meter and it is but something is wrong cos it just wont start...

and to make it worse i dont have a manual to tell me wat to check/fix

and i need the car on monday for a driving lesson please help!!!!!

does anyone no where there is a site i can download a manual from or tell me what to check?

-Jord

offthe_edge@hotmail

dsp26
20-05-2006, 05:49 PM
then the car wouldnt start the starter motor ticks over and there i power getting to the distributer but there is no spark near the spark leads....

does it JUST TICK.. or does it actually crank over?

if it JUST TICKS then brushes are gone in the starter. get it replaced (~AU$10 for set of 4) or trade it in for a reco one....

dsp26
20-05-2006, 05:53 PM
i know this isn't a honda starter but it works the exact same way...

No tick = solenoid dead
Tick but no spin or screeching spin = brushes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/Maintenance/StarterMotor.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/Maintenance/StarterMotor_Fix.jpg
^^^
- Green = Solenoid
- Red = Brushes x 4

The reason people say do the hammer trick is to make sure it isn't the brushes. Coz sometimes no sound is amde at all. But when you tap the motor, you can get lucky and 1 of the 4 brushes will contact enough to make the motor spin and function....

BTW, for those feeling handy... a set of 4 brushes can be bought from any automotive store for about ~$10

Jord
20-05-2006, 06:58 PM
it cranks over.. but there is no spark....!?!

anyone no where i can get a online manual for a 1989 ED civic dual carb?